Gibson Brands Forums

Hummingbird Finish?

slamson00

Hello

Just puchased my first new guitar. Its a Epiphone Hummingsbird Pro. I LOVE IT!! The sound is amazing. The finish is amazing. Action is great and it just sings when you play. I did have a question about the finish.

I have always bought used guitars. Like I said this is my first new one so please forgive if this is a dumb question. When the guitar came I inspected it all over and it looked amazing right out of the box. Not a blemish, scratch or dimple anywhere. I did notice what looks like to be two faded lines in the wood, i dont think its the finish. You can see them extending from the bridge down to the base of the body of the guitar. They also extend up from the bridge to the sound hole but they grow more faint going from down to up. I assume this is just the natural finish in the wood, or is there something wrong with the finish process of the guitar when it was being constructed. Below is a photo...I took it in lower light because you cant see it all that well in a well lit room, they show up more in low light:

epi1_zpsf99e3f60.jpeg

epi2_zps57bbffd7.jpeg

I am assuming because wood is never uniform in appearance certain pieces when used in constrution with give guitars unique character makes that essense makes each guitar unique?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help, and so far I am loving everything about my new Epi Hummingbird pro.

Thanks for the information.....I really appreciate it. I looked like grain to me but my OCD compelled me to ask. :-) I did not know guitar tops were book matched but that makes alot of sense. And now looking around the net at different Epiphone Hummingbirds I have found many with different grain patterns and lines in the wood. Thank you again for the responses.

Yep...wood grain imperfections. Epiphone acoustics are amazing values, but there is a reality with regard to their low price points. There are just going to be more wood (and sometimes finish) imperfections than you would see with Gibson, Martin and Taylor.

My AJ-220S Is a crazy good guitar, but the wood grain is not uniform and gets wider as it goes down. You wouldn't see these kind of anomalies in a Gibson J-45. This kind of thing is just par for the course. The AJ-220S has a sound that competes heavily with "the big boys" and it is absolutely beautiful in its own right. I look at the subtle imperfections as characteristics that make my guitars mine.

Yep...wood grain imperfections. Epiphone acoustics are amazing values, but there is a reality with regard to their low price points. There are just going to be more wood (and sometimes finish) imperfections than you would see with Gibson, Martin and Taylor.

My AJ-220S Is a crazy good guitar, but the wood grain is not uniform and gets wider as it goes down. You wouldn't see these kind of anomalies in a Gibson J-45. This kind of thing is just par for the course. The AJ-220S has a sound that competes heavily with "the big boys" and it is absolutely beautiful in its own right. I look at the subtle imperfections as characteristics that make my guitars mine.

lmao look at the j15 on Gibson.com same thing

Mac...that's not what I mean. My AJ's top wasn't book-matched well. I'll post photos of the area I'm referring to once I get it back from the shop. It's more like the J-45's seen during WWII that were painted sunburst to help camoflouge the lesser quality woods Gibson had to use at that time. It almost looks like a one inch wide filler piece was used in the left center of the top all the way down.

Thanks for all the replies and information I appreciate it. It is interesting to think about how not one guitar will come out of the factory the same as another. The variances in the wood will always give room for like finished guitars to have different wood shade or grains in certain areas. Kind of cool the more I think about it.

Loving this new 'Bird....just plays beautifully to match its appearance as well. Tremendous value.

Archived