Gibson Brands Forums

sg original 2

STLOUIEPLAYA

I have one of the original SG Originals. I think the specs are the same except for the color. Why do you ask?

9109678255_10aa6622be.jpgive only had it 2 days the arm for the lyre trmolo is kind of tight ..but i like that ,,ive noticed that when ever i lightly use the tremolo,,afterwards my tuning is slightly hsaro mostly just enough to notice it ,,was curious if theirs a cure for this or what ?

<quote> ive only had it 2 days the arm for the lyre trmolo is kind of tight ..but i like that ,,ive noticed that when ever i lightly use the tremolo,,afterwards my tuning is slightly hsaro mostly just enough to notice it ,,was curious if theirs a cure for this or what ? <end of quote>

My Frank Zappa "Roxy" SG has the lyra vibrato, too, with the only difference that it has a flat bar lever. Although this provides less effect and allows for more sensitive handling, tuning is rather critical. With the stock Nashville Tune-O-Matic even performing just a slight shimmering was impossible without going out of tune. I replaced the stock T-O-M with a Schaller STMC roller bridge which makes a subtle use possible. Any heavier operation will cause accidentally detuned strings, regardless if vibratoing upward or downward.

In case I want to apply severe vibrato effects, I choose one of my Floyd Rose guitars. No matter if on a Gibson, Fender, or Ibanez, no system without double-locking of strings can hold a candle to them.

Yep, you have to do a little work on them. The screw can get loose by itself unless you put Loctite on it. The bar is best for subtle vibrato but you can get almost the same effect but wiggling or shaking the neck and the guitar stays in tune better. I just like the look of the bars. I bought the 61 LP SG for the same reason.

11091276156_020613dd21.jpg

I too, went "banana's" buying SG's in 2013! After a 40 year hiatus, from owning one,

I bought 4, within less than a year! [scared][biggrin]

The "Original" was among them, and they're ALL GREAT!! Fit, Finish, Feel, and TONE!!

However, my "Original" had a bad Maestro (bad spring, actually), but Gibson sent a great

replacement, right away, and it's been outstanding, since! [thumbup]

CB

I too, went "banana's" buying SG's in 2013! After a 40 year hiatus, from owning one,

I bought 4, within less than a year! [scared][biggrin]

The "Original" was among them, and they're ALL GREAT!! Fit, Finish, Feel, and TONE!!

However, my "Original" had a bad Maestro (bad spring, actually), but Gibson sent a great

replacement, right away, and it's been outstanding, since! [thumbup]

CB

I went overboard last year too and got an Original and a Kirk Douglas to join my Tweedy.

My Tweedy had the band bend Masestro and Gibson sent my replacement to the service center and was replaced......almost no break angle across the bridge I mean almost strait across........Gibson took care of it all good.......love the color but does not get much play time I just can't bond with the Burstbuckers in there.

Like the Douglas and Original so much better both 57s.

Play the Douglas at home the most, like the range of the 3 PUs push pull pots and the blend toggle knob that was one of Gibsons best ideas!!

Archived