Gibson Brands Forums

Midtown truss rod needs frequent adjustment

hessodreamy

About 8 months ago I picked up a Gibson midtown and am generally impressed with it. But I have noticed a couple of things:

1. Every month or two I have to loosen the truss rod as the strings are too close to the frets

2. The neck seems more flexible than my other guitars, to the extent that I frequently play out of tune by gripping the neck too hard!

These things may be connected, though it seems that the neck would be less bendy if the truss rod were tight.

Is this common? Is it perhaps due to the guitar being new and settling in (I normally buy used)?

About 8 months ago I picked up a Gibson midtown and am generally impressed with it. But I have noticed a couple of things:

1. Every month or two I have to loosen the truss rod as the strings are too close to the frets

2. The neck seems more flexible than my other guitars, to the extent that I frequently play out of tune by gripping the neck too hard!

These things may be connected, though it seems that the neck would be less bendy if the truss rod were tight.

Is this common? Is it perhaps due to the guitar being new and settling in (I normally buy used)?

If you don't know why a truss rod exists, what it does, and when to mess with it, take it to someone that does and get it set up so you don't go messing with the truss every month or so. You shouldn't be doing that.

rct

If you don't know why a truss rod exists, what it does, and when to mess with it, take it to someone that does and get it set up so you don't go messing with the truss every month or so. You shouldn't be doing that.

rct

Oh, I know the truss rod is there to counteract the string tension and keep the neck pretty much straight. I've adjusted it many times on many guitars, but this issue is a new one to me.

So you're saying that it's not an issue with a new guitar settling in, and that it just shouldn't be doing this?

Oh, I know the truss rod is there to counteract the string tension and keep the neck pretty much straight. I've adjusted it many times on many guitars, but this issue is a new one to me.

So you're saying that it's not an issue with a new guitar settling in, and that it just shouldn't be doing this?

Then yes, I'm saying it shouldn't be doing this. At least, not in my long experience with guitars. I wouldn't own one long that I had to keep turning the truss, it just shouldn't do that.

Same gauge, same brand, frequent string changes, I rarely touch a truss. If you are experimenting with different sizes on that guitar, I could see it needing a turn or two now and again.

rct

Fortunately it's not common, but such things may happen. I experienced the same with an SG Supra. You may refer to this topic: http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/114066-update-on-neck-curving-back-and-forth/

rct is right, this is something that is usually needed about twice a year.

unless you're not living in a very stable climate, then maybe more frequently, but sounds like this is just way too much..

Twice a year? That sounds extreme. I usually set up mine once and they are good for at least 10 years, some are good for decades.

Archived