Gibson Brands Forums

Huge Thanks!

Could have resurrected an old thread, but I thought the guy deserved more props and just getting the word out there, one more time. Plus, give me a chance to talk about my new guitar, some more!

After buying my LP, I got the itch for another Gibson. Seriously, for 30+ years... no guitars have ever induced me to play, like owning my LP has. Its changed my desire, improved my playing, sounds wicked good.

I had heard good things about the LPJ, but ended up with a 2013 SGJ for a steal of a price. Guy had bought it, traded it in for an upgrade 2 months later, I get it for $299... and it could just as as well been hanging on their wall all this time, it is in that nice condition. I don't know if he set it up, his stringing technique was interesting... but the action and everything else, was *tight*. The LPJ I had played, while I loved it and it played like a dream... this SGJ just felt right.

I figured at $299, I could maybe be a little more free with my mods. First thing that had to go, were those grotesque black plastic tuners. I've always hated those "classic" Gibson tuners. I've always thought they looked and felt cheap. So first thing was a set of tulip Grovers. This left me with some extra holes in my guitar! Big deal? YES!!! OK, Not really... but still bugged me, for a guitar I want set up, exactly how I want it set up. I can easily see this cheapest guitar I own, becoming my favorite. So I want it looking nice.

HOLES

SGJ_screwholes01_zps75c92994.jpg

I looked around for ideas. The obvious ones were, well... obvious. Filling them in, like regular woodworking, toothpick trick. Then I saw... "crayons".

CRAYONS?

Whitmore Willy's Brilliance

So, I go read this post and its brilliantly simple and looks effective. Today, pull out both a violet and brown crayon, shave some off... 1/2 hour later I was looking at this! I figure the marks from the old tuners will eventually fade with age and cleaning/polishing. I'll fill the holes in, if it settles any and continue to polish... eventually, won't even be able to tell they were there. My kid already couldn't.

NO HOLES

SGJ_screwholes02_zps9256e7b7.jpg

Oh... a family pic with my guitars of note. Couple missing, not worth the bytes.

guitar_family_zps43f4535c.jpg

L - R: 2014 Gibson Les Paul Studio Pro, 2013 Gibson SGJ, 1985 Kramer Baretta - American, 2014 Seagull S6 "Original"

• 1 month later...

And Thanks Again!

After seeing this trick, I rummaged through my granddaughter's Crayons and tried the violet on some mysterious holes in my '72 EB3L. It worked pretty well. The holes are still noticeable, but not from more than a couple feet away. When I have more time, I'll try blending in some brown. The only problem I can foresee is when the 4 year-old notices that the pointy end of her favorite color Crayon is missing....msp_unsure.gif

th_4ce2491d-bc63-4166-b133-bd493a9de478.jpg th_IMG_01541.jpg

I'm not positive, but I think those are speed holes. They allow the heat generated by your fast licks to dissipate without causing your finish to bubble and crack. Filling them with crayon will not affect them at all. Lookin' good bubba. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Bill

"speed holes"... Haha; if I would've known about that, I wouldn't have filled 'em in!

Merry Christmas to you too Bill msp_biggrin.gif

Archived