Gibson Brands Forums

Finally purchased a Firebird!

Jim Zeppelin

Hey all,

I finally purchased a Firebird. After hemming and hawing all year I could not bring myself to spend $1800 for a 2014 nor could I at the "sale" price of $1618. I just don't feel they are worth it. Not only that but I don't really care for the 120th banner either. So when the 2015s came out I was even more depressed. Gibson had once again jacked their prices, this time 29%, and they added the zero fret baloney which I consider another gimmick and something that was only used on cheap mass produced guitars. So this left me in a not so happy place. So I decided to go with a left over 2013 in ebony for $1168 which is at my price point and doesn't have all of the new gimmicky stuff. After setting it up a little better I'm happy with it. It does not give quite as much upper register access as my 2013 SG but its better than my LP. I know a lot of people have complained about the pick ups but I don't have an issue with them. The bridge pup is a little thin sounding when played clean but that's my only gripe there. It feels better playing while standing than sitting but that's probably due to my 30 pack. I guess I'm done buying Gibsons for now, especially since they don't make new ones the way I like. I'd love to grab more '13 SGs though.

She's a beauty! It's good that she gives you a different tone. If it's too thin you might try raising the pickup a little closer to the strings. A lot of folks use 1/16" inch to get the most out of the pickup. If that's too close try backing it away in 1/32" increments and give it the play test.

Thanks ZuWa! Yeah I raised both and it helped. I play with varying degrees of gain so I don't really notice unless I'm really clean, which is not often. I have other guitars that fit that bill anyways. The pups do have a different tone but I like it. I wouldn't want all my guitars to sound the same anyways. That's one of my main excuses I give to to my wife for buying more. I'm sure many of us have heard it, "Why do you have so many guitars?" "Because they all sound different dear, and I'm sure that's better than many girl friends". [thumbup]

Hey all,

I finally purchased a Firebird. After hemming and hawing all year I could not bring myself to spend $1800 for a 2014 nor could I at the "sale" price of $1618. I just don't feel they are worth it. Not only that but I don't really care for the 120th banner either. So when the 2015s came out I was even more depressed. Gibson had once again jacked their prices, this time 29%, and they added the zero fret baloney which I consider another gimmick and something that was only used on cheap mass produced guitars. So this left me in a not so happy place. So I decided to go with a left over 2013 in ebony for $1168 which is at my price point and doesn't have all of the new gimmicky stuff. After setting it up a little better I'm happy with it. It does not give quite as much upper register access as my 2013 SG but its better than my LP. I know a lot of people have complained about the pick ups but I don't have an issue with them. The bridge pup is a little thin sounding when played clean but that's my only gripe there. It feels better playing while standing than sitting but that's probably due to my 30 pack. I guess I'm done buying Gibsons for now, especially since they don't make new ones the way I like. I'd love to grab more '13 SGs though.

IVE BEEN DEBATING FOR ABOUT 5 MONTHS ON WHAT TO GET UNTIL 3 DAYS AGO ....& A FIREBIRD WAS ONE OF THE GUITARS I WANTED BUT I ENDED UP GETTING THE SG ORINAL 2014 INSTEAD

Congratulations and I'm with you as far as 2013 being the cut off year. Nibs and no logo.

How do you like the sustain on that guitar? Those strings just ring on the Firebirds.

Yeah Steve they resonate quite a bit and sustain well. I believe the wings actually resonate and act like a sound board. It's pretty loud unplugged compared to my LP. One thing I've also noticed is that it tends to hold tune a little better than my SG. The tuners are pretty decent too. Jim

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the Firebird Club !

I have a 2014 and Love the feel and tone of the guitar. I seem to be one of the few who like the 120th anniv banner and the new tuners.

One thing you may want to consider is moving the strap button off the back neck area and up on the body like the vintage ones to help the guitar not fall forward. It has a tendency to want to face down when you wear a strap.

As for it being a little thin on the lead pickup that's kind of normal since the strings don't move as much back by the bridge as they do over the Neck pickup. As suggested above raising the lead pup and lowering the neck one will help balance it out some. Some of the replacement pups out there have a +5% overwind on the lead pup if you desire to replace the originals.

post-65047-023982900 1417580667_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Firebird Club !

I have a 2014 and Love the feel and tone of the guitar. I seem to be one of the few who like the 120th anniv banner and the new tuners.

One thing you may want to consider is moving the strap button off the back neck area and up on the body like the vintage ones to help the guitar not fall forward. It has a tendency to want to face down when you wear a strap.

As for it being a little thin on the lead pickup that's kind of normal since the strings don't move as much back by the bridge as they do over the Neck pickup. As suggested above raising the lead pup and lowering the neck one will help balance it out some. Some of the replacement pups out there have a +5% overwind on the lead pup if you desire to replace the originals.

post-65047-023982900 1417580667_thumb.jpg

Thanks MLee. Yeah I realize that the bridge pup will always sound thinner. I meant it sounds thinner than say my SG or LP. I'm wondering if putting a 495R(neck pup)in the bridge would help fatten it up a bit. I'll probably just leave it anyway.

It definitely falls forward but if I shorten my strap a bit to bring it up a little higher onto my 30 pack it helps. It is definitely a different animal. I'm enjoying it. Thanks for the info. Jim

• 1 month later...

Good black finish! I am jealous! Am getting a Kluson ABR on mine. It is going to be a custom shop sound, with the bone nut and zhangbucker pickups! Total of $2075 and it is my dream guitar when I get it back! Bridge pickup is fatter with more overtones from the ABR conversion, I was told!!

• 1 month later...

I got the same guitar last week but in the sunburst finish. Also a 2013 for the exact same reasons you stated. Loving the contrast of the mini humbuckers compared to my other humbucker equipped Gibsons!

IMG_8172_zps18mix2si.jpg

IMG_8174_zpsydvmrcay.jpg

Sweet axe dleake! Congratulations. 2013 all the way.....

• 4 weeks later...

Archived