Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EEDVVBNH1 Dove Pro Acoustic Electric Guitar

lucille64

also, does anyone have direct first hand knowledge of how good or bad an instrument this is ?

Reason being, I have a neighbor whose young son wants to learn to play and I was considering buying this guitar for him to learn on.

Mainly I'm interested in how difficult would the stock "out of the box" action be for a beginner and does it have a decent balanced tone so as to not discourage him. I read on this forum that the PRO 1 models are supposed to have a very good stock action.

I have never personally seen or touched one.

POP_DovePRO_zps6255778e.jpg

so the Dove Pro has a solid spruce top and the PRO 1 hummingbird artist is all Laminate ?

So does anyone know if the Dove Pro is an all around better sounding instrument verses the PRO 1 that is all laminate? Epi's website says the Limited Edition Pro 1 is all laminate or should I say "select Spruce ?

so the Dove Pro has a solid spruce top and the PRO 1 hummingbird artist is all Laminate ?

So does anyone know if the Dove Pro is an all around better sounding instrument verses the PRO 1 that is all laminate? Epi's website says the Limited Edition Pro 1 is all laminate or should I say "select Spruce ?

One correction here, it is not a Pro 1 hummingbird artist it is just the hummingbird artist or the hummingbird pro the Pro 1 series is totally different. The dove pro is loud and because it has a solid top it will get better with age. I'll take the dove pro, if I was just learning I'd take the Pro 1 series because of its user friendly characteristics.

Well I decided to buy him the Dove Pro. Got it for about exactly what the Hummingbird artist cost. 219.00 brand new.

I figured he might as well have a decent starter guitar.

anyone agree on this being a good choice for him ?

I figured at least it has a solid spruce top and looks like a legendary Gibson model.

I got him the Violin burst one.

Having a Fishman electronics system was a plus so maybe he won't outgrow it too fast.

I was hoping it would have the 24.75 scale to make it a little easier on him at the start but he'll adjust.

If he sticks to it and shows he has the determination and talent I will get him a Masterbilt in time.

I'd love to hear some reviews from those of the members here that have this very guitar and their opinions on it

I bought this guitar not long ago, I put ERNIE BALL Aluminum/bronze 11-50 on it and love it, action is amazing out of the box, nice volume and tone is wonderful. I hope he sticks with it this guitar is a great guitar choice for beginning and sitting around with a group picking away.

Thanks Cliff.

Is it a very bright tone with less low end than highs and mids?

since it is spruce and maple I would think it leans that way.

When playing basic "cowboy" chords as I'm sure he will do in the beginning is there a decent balance from low to high

Bet he loves it. I wish I had a neighbor who bought me one of these to learn on years ago! Merry Christmas to him.

Nyghthawk....... at my age I realize I can't take any of whatever I have earned through my life with me so why not find ways to use it to encourage people to make music ?

I have found when people get together and make music what is created is a wonderful sense of togetherness and sharing of art.

To me that is something more people should do. If that happened more often there would be less friction and more genuine affection, yes ?

I bought this guitar not long ago, I put ERNIE BALL Aluminum/bronze 11-50 on it and love it, action is amazing out of the box, nice volume and tone is wonderful. I hope he sticks with it this guitar is a great guitar choice for beginning and sitting around with a group picking away.

Cliff would you say it is as effective at finger picking as strumming chords ?

I would like to see him learn to finger pick it as well as just learn to strum it.

I intend to show him the basic scales first then move him in a slow but steady direction of learning to use his right hand effectively

Yes. Music is a great way to send time with good people. I have some fond memories from my teens playing with friends. My 'baby' at that time was a Lyle Hummingbird. God, I wish I still had that guitar!

Wow, I just gave my nephew my 1972 Lyle Dove which is still in excellent condition. I had to put in new brass saddles on the tune-o-matic bridge but the action was like an electric still! Great guitar..he loves it!

1526652_10152179311259785_1608821474_n_zps8bd55a0e.jpg

Cliff would you say it is as effective at finger picking as strumming chords ?

I would like to see him learn to finger pick it as well as just learn to strum it.

I intend to show him the basic scales first then move him in a slow but steady direction of learning to use his right hand effectively

With out a doubt, with the ernie ball aluminum/bronze strings there is alot less tension ,extremely easy on the fingers I had to adjust the truss rod 1/4 turn to get rid of the buzz, but wow my old fender strat never had the action this does.and by the way what ever you go with string wise this thing will respond to nicely, I tried John Pearse 12-54 very tight for bending but nice lows and crisp highs, I tried ernie ball slinky's 11-50 nice blend all around, LaBella Gold Alloy custom lights 11-52 very nice but don't last and of course Elixer Lights 12-53 again nice all around tone not to bright but not warm either. When strumming the E chords and G chords sing out with a bassie punch its a niceguitar to have fun with all around.

With out a doubt, with the ernie ball aluminum/bronze strings there is alot less tension ,extremely easy on the fingers I had to adjust the truss rod 1/4 turn to get rid of the buzz, but wow my old fender strat never had the action this does.and by the way what ever you go with string wise this thing will respond to nicely, I tried John Pearse 12-54 very tight for bending but nice lows and crisp highs, I tried ernie ball slinky's 11-50 nice blend all around, LaBella Gold Alloy custom lights 11-52 very nice but don't last and of course Elixer Lights 12-53 again nice all around tone not to bright but not warm either. When strumming the E chords and G chords sing out with a bassie punch its a niceguitar to have fun with all around.

Cliff, the John Pearce strings you tried on the Dove, were they the 610LM Phosphor bronze and silk set (12-53) or just the 80/20 200 set ?

The 610LM Pearce bend very nice, soft on the fingers yet still have volume of a normal PB set.

I'm going to give the EB Aluminum/bronze 12-54's a try as well.

So you would say this Dove has a good overall balance of tone and volume from low to high ?

Cliff, the John Pearce strings you tried on the Dove, were they the 610LM Phosphor bronze and silk set (12-53) or just the 80/20 200 set ?

The 610LM Pearce bend very nice, soft on the fingers yet still have volume of a normal PB set.

I'm going to give the EB Aluminum/bronze 12-54's a try as well.

So you would say this Dove has a good overall balance of tone and volume from low to high ?

Yes they were and as far as tone goes I love mine. Almost never touch my DR500MCE.... almost still love it compared to guitars ten times as much and love the faces of the martin, taylor, Gibson guys that can't believe its an epiphone.

I dunno where you plan to get the guitar, but here's a warning thought:

The action may be abominable right outa the box if you get it by "mail order," and even at a store, depending on climate at the time, it may not be truly set up at all.

I've been in both situations and, one afternoon, watched new guitars come into the store that's quite a way from me and I'd hoped to get a specific instrument that they said was coming in that day.

In some cases the strings can be flat on the frets; in others as high as the sky. That's regardless of brand and model.

Regardless of price tag, wooden guitars will change and need setup, messing with the truss rod, etc., relatively often in certain changing climates such as where I live.

So quality? Yup, I think in general regardless of the model, an Epi 99 percent of the time is a fine guitar and great for the money. But also, an individual instrument can and will react to weather conditions in transport.

So I'd say don't expect perfection of setup outa the box. Period. You might get it, you might not.

I'll add that I think Epi is going the right direction in promoting "easy to play" acoustics. Yeah, if you've been around you can have your own opinions, but the bottom line is how many people quit because it hurts more than they perceive the value of playing four beginner chords. So... lettum have the 9-42 (that I still use on my fingerpickin' flattops after 50+ years of pickin') and a low action. Then when they're ready, they can put on the recommended 16-77 gauge strings to boom out of a J45 or D28.

m

Archived