Gibson Brands Forums

What size allen wrench do I need to adjust the truss rod on my ES-137 Classic

BLUEVII

Hello Blue, and welcome here.

The Gibson truss rod nut size is 5/16" or 8.3mm. Matching thin-walled wrenches are sold by several musical instrument retailers. Some of my Gibsons came brand-new without, so I bought a few of these in the past.

The problem is usually not hex size but wall size. Trying to use an average DIY tool could cause serious damage to the guitar.

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed, you should really use the proper tool. Gibson makes a special tool for truss rod adjustments and it's very hard to fit anything but the correct tool in that small space. You could order one online for a few dollars or many guitar shops either carry them or have a bunch of extras lying around. Also I had the same experience - sometimes you get one when you buy a new Gibson and sometimes you don't.

Here's the cheapest one on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Truss-Rod-Wrench-Tool-5-16-fits-Gibson-Les-Paul-/201243007365?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item2edb049985

I have a Gibson ES-137 Classic and i need to adjust my truss rod, but I lost the tool and I need to know what size allen wrench to adjust it, I went to Home Depot and all the sizes I have tried are either too big or too small.

Are you really looking for an Allen wrench and not a socket?

Archived