Gibson Brands Forums

SG with crescent moon inlays

Mr. Gibson

The crescent moon inlays were paired with an ebony fretboard for a short time in the early production of the faded series I believe. I used to own a faded cherry flying V with the ebony board and crescent moons, I think most of the guitars with this feature were made in 2002. As far as rarity, these are not hard to find - they made a lot of them in a short time. As far as value... it might be an extra selling point to interest potential buyers if you decide to sell it but there is no significant in price difference between the 2002 and the 2001 or 2003 models.

They may not be worth any significant amount more but that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy those nice inlays and ebony board [thumbup]

The crescent moon inlays were paired with an ebony fretboard for a short time in the early production of the faded series I believe. I used to own a faded cherry flying V with the ebony board and crescent moons, I think most of the guitars with this feature were made in 2002. As far as rarity, these are not hard to find - they made a lot of them in a short time. As far as value... it might be an extra selling point to interest potential buyers if you decide to sell it but there is no significant in price difference between the 2002 and the 2001 or 2003 models.

They may not be worth any significant amount more but that doesn't mean you shouldn't enjoy those nice inlays and ebony board [thumbup]

I agree with the above, but would like to note that there was no 2001 Faded SG model, as '02 was the initial year of production.

The OP posted a similar question in the Acoustic section, and I answered there, but for those who may not have seen it:

I purchased a red Faded SG with moon inlays new in 2002, and still own it. The noteable features in the first year were the moon inlays, ebony fingerboard, and ABR bridge.

The moon inlays were replaced by dots about a year later, the ebony board was replaced by rosewood about a year after that, and I believe the ABR bridge also lasted only through the first year, being replaced by a Nashville bridge.

Having desirable features seen only in the first year of production makes them somewhat rare, and I would judge the value to be slightly higher than a typical Faded SG.

Archived