Gibson Brands Forums

Any probs with Headstock strap ties?

splake

On a couple of my guitars I use the old fashioned way of attaching the strap with ties from the headstock. Usually between the 6th and 5th and 1st and 2nd string, not just behind the nut. Allows some strap clearance from the first feet position. Works fine. Not as cool as a strap button by the body joining the neck, but works fine. The two guitars I do it that was on are A 1936 Epiphone Zenith and a 1964 Gibson J45 Custom Shop Reissue...as the strap by he headstock send more time appropriate for both those guitars than installing a strap button at the neck/body. Other guitars I have installed strap buttons at the neck/body.

JazzmanJeff aka QM

Guitars have been strapped like this for well over 100 years - no problems. Similarly, we've been putting strap buttons on guitars for almost as long - no issues. Do the one that makes you happiest. Do not put any pressure (pull on) your shoulder strap when it's connected to your headstock.

Agree, DS. I think we've used straps connected to the headstock for a long, long time. I've never heard of a neck problem being blamed on that form of connection. (Attachment Disorder?) I use the little leather and button headstock straps because their button connections are much easier than tying and un-tying a shoe lace. Heel strap buttons are an option - but I personally am slightly more worried of damage by the screw hole in the heel, than pressure on the headstock. Could an inadvertent knock on that heel button cause problems? Probably chances are greater of being hit by lightning! Obviously, both methods are tried and true and trusted.

Agree, DS. I think we've used straps connected to the headstock for a long, long time. I've never heard of a neck problem being blamed on that form of connection. (Attachment Disorder?) I use the little leather and button headstock straps because their button connections are much easier than tying and un-tying a shoe lace. Heel strap buttons are an option - but I personally am slightly more worried of damage by the screw hole in the heel, than pressure on the headstock. Could an inadvertent knock on that heel button cause problems?

Could it... possibly. Will it...statistically no. Almost every touring professional and tens-of-thousands of others do so safely daily. Many manufacturers have installed them forever. Installing it is simple, quick and also no issue. It's the first thing I do, after changing strings, on every new purchase. I don't like the strap/cord/string extending out to the headstock - personal preference. I also don't want the rub and/or gouge marks that anything around the neck or headstock can create. Also playing ergonomics, for me, is perfect with the strap connected at the heel rather than all the way up the neck.

Archived