Gibson Brands Forums

Would you swap a custom shop AJ for a bird or a bird tv

AJ Ray

I have very little experience with H birds, but I would not trade my standard AJ for the couple I have tried. I have not had my hands on a TV version, however.

In fact, my AJ is a keeper regardless of what sort of GAS pops up.

H'Bird TVs are hard to beat. Long neck, round shoulder rosewood VS short neck square shoulder mahogany. TVs have no electronics on board. Gorgeous' looks should not b a criteria. Sound and playability are most important. If you can't try out the H'Bird - it will all be your choice and a gamble. As it should be since it is a purely subjective decision. I chose and would not change my choice - for the H'Bird. But, the other part of my decision on that is I have two other guitars that give me some variety and choice. If you are not there yet - all the more reason for you to 'own' the decision. G'Luck.

Kinda like going from a Granny Smith apple to a very ripe Batrtlett pear?

Not sure I'd charaterize either one as outstanding for the country blues, though the Stones certainly used HBs for such and Roy Book has used an AJ. For me, a BIrd doesnt have the high end cut i'd look for in country blues. AJs can punch out a rag pretty well, but dont have the whinge I want to hear for country blues. For my money, Id pass either one for a Southern Jumbo or a J185. But that's just me. Happy huntin' and g'luck.

Oh man. This is a question that can only be answered by you! Personally I would take a bird over an aj anyday just for the simple fact I'm a singer songwriter. If I was strictly a player I may prefer the Jumbo. Both are great and both are different tools. Hope you make the right choice

For country blues it sounds like you'd want a smaller box, something with little sustain and a short, dry tone like an LG-2 or the Keb Mo.

I think of Hummingbirds as being for singer-songwriters, though Rev Gary Davis used a J200.

Never owned an AJ, but the people who own them rave about them here. Apparently, they're loud guitars, something the Hummingbird is rarely considered.

This is definitely a decision only you can make. And it's very dependent on the individual guitars in question.

Archived