Gibson Brands Forums

Extra wires needed for Coil Splitting SG?

Slash Is God

Hi guys,

I went for some push/pull pots for my tone pots on my SG, with the plan to coil tap them.

The particular pots were chosen by Bare Knuckle for me, so should all be good.

I'm currently going through the schematic, trying to install them, however, I'm a little confused...

Here's the one I'm using:

https://bareknucklepickups.co.uk/main/downloads/schematics/general/humbuckers/2_hum__2_vol__2_push_pull_tone_coilsplit__3_way_toggle.pdf

One of the points on the tone pot (not the coil split part) says it's 'usually soldered to rear of volume pot'. However, there doesn't seem to be a wire already in here to do so. Does this mean that an extra wire is required to do so?

Apologies if this is a trivial question, but it's something I've not done before!

Just for the record, I'm also installing a Seymour Duncan '59 Humbucker (4 conductor), and although the pickup came with a wire diagram, the coil split was shown for the Volume pot, not the tone pot.

I've installed many pickups before but never done a coil split.

Thanks for anything you can offer!

James

ahhhh, I had no idea!

Right, that's what was confusing me.

Can you recommend any particular wire?

Thank you!!

Gibson usually uses solid wire with no insulation but anything you have should work. The solid is probably easier to work with, you can use one long piece.

• 2 weeks later...

Gibson usually uses solid wire with no insulation but anything you have should work. The solid is probably easier to work with, you can use one long piece.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for the help! I've got some wire and pretty much managed to get it all wired up. not checked it yet, but that's because I have one more question, which I'm hoping you might be able to help me with...

Out of the two humbuckers, I've actually only changed one of them so far, so only one is doing the coil split - the other is 2 conductor, so cannot be done right now.

However, I did get TWO push/pull Tone Pots so when I do get another 4 Conductor pickup I can do it on that one too. Also, the pots are 500K, so thought it would be nice to benefit from that too.

The problem is, I'm a little confused as to how to wire the push/pull pot that isn't using the coil split.

On the original Gibson Tone pot, the middle tong is bent and soldered to the pot itself and one of the other tongs runs through the Capacitor to the volume pot. I'm not sure what to do on this push/pull pot? I don't really want to bend the middle tong because, if I want to coil split this at a later date, the schematic I have (via Bare Knuckle), says I need to use that one for the Capacitor.

So, any ideas what I should do?!

Apologies for the trivial questions. This is a little new to me, despite installing many pickups before, but the coil splitting is a little more advanced.

thanks in advance for anything you can help with!

Archived