Gibson Brands Forums

What are the real good Epiphones?

eagle_fly

Hi all,

I am relatively new to guitar but think I am becoming better and need a better guitar.

I would love a J45 or at least a J35 but that ain't happening any time soon.

Plus, I am a hobbyist and although I love the sound of true Gibbies, can't afford one.

So, my question is what are the really good Epis.

I know about the Masterbuilts, would love a sunburst Epiphone AJ500M, but hard to find.

I am patient and keep looking.

What else should be on my list?

Thanks!!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will probably end up with a bunch of recommendations and some will be very nice playing and sounding guitars. But making a guitar that looks like a J-45 and making a guitar that sounds like a J-45 are two different things. Generally the usual uspects that will be named - Epis or possibly a Blue Ridge or Recording King - will be brighter sounding, lack the Gibson low end thump, and have a different note decay. When you hear somebody saying their budget friendly this or that guitar sounds just like or even better than the Gibson, more than likely they have not been closer to that Gibson than the pages of a Sweetwater catalog.

So I guess I come from the position of accept no substitutes. Buy an Epi because you like that guitar not because you are looking for a wallet friendly clone of a Gibson.

By most accounts, the "Inspired by '64 Texan" is an excellent example of a fine sounding and playing Epiphone, and quite a value. I don't own one, but many here and on the Epiphone forum do, and they provide it with a lot of praise. I have played them in stores, and at one time compared one side by side with a Masterbilt AJ-500M, and saw and heard little difference, except cosmetically. Specs change, so I don't know that still to be true, but if I were looking for an Epiphone, I would start there.

Like zombywoof, I don't think even the Masterbilts (which are excellent) sound like a Gibson, but I don't think they are intended to. They've got more a Martiny sound.

Unlike zomby, I don't think they are brighter than a Gibson (though other Gibson-copy Epiphones are, like the Hummingbird and Dove).

The Masterbilts I have played and own (Aj-500M, AJ 500R, 12-fret AJ-500RC, DR-500M) have a very deep bass response, sort of hollow mids, and a crisp top end. The bass, while deep, is less defined and percussive than a Gibson slope. It's more cello like, with a slow decay and abundance of overtones.

Good luck with your search.

Red 333

There are several great Epiphone models that might fit your question. I have one I use for shows at times that is not only great looking but superb sounding and playing. If you can find a Epiphone AJ200SR you might be very happy. Here's mine. If you can find one you should pay between $200-$300 and IMO worth double easily.

IMG_6854.jpg slope1.jpg

My Epi EL 00 Pro has the same vibe as my Gibson LG 1. i actually sometimes forget it is not a Gibson. Sound wise, it sounds a bit different, but every Gibson also sounds different. It's more the neck feel and the cool sunburst that makes it Gibson-like to me.

If this thread goes on we should differentiate that we're talking only about import Epis, as Kalamazoo made Epis were the same as Kalamazoo made Gibson's.

If this thread goes on we should differentiate that we're talking only about import Epis, as Kalamazoo made Epis were the same as Kalamazoo made Gibson's.

Yes, I think it's pretty clear that the OP is only interested in considering an inexpensive import Epiphone as an alternative to spending serious dollars on a Gibson.

I too will nominate the EL-00 Pro. Amazingly good for so little money!

But like virtually any guitar model, there can be significant variations from one example to the next, so don't play just one. If at all possible, play three or four to find one that tonally stands out.

There are several great Epiphone models that might fit your question. I have one I use for shows at times that is not only great looking but superb sounding and playing. If you can find a Epiphone AJ200SR you might be very happy. Here's mine. If you can find one you should pay between $200-$300 and IMO worth double easily.

IMG_6854.jpg slope1.jpg

I agree with this! The Epiphone AJ220S (Now in Mahogany body) Is a close bet in looks and sound and feel to the J-45. see and hear it in the video below. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JjDqmbm2qE

I agree with this! The Epiphone AJ220S (Now in Mahogany body) Is a close bet in looks and sound and feel to the J-45. see and hear it in the video below. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JjDqmbm2qE

there is a serious amount of buzz word clap trap talked on that video.

holeee smoke. ...

its like a 3.45 am infomercial.

WOW I can't believe it's the same car !!!!

"... making a guitar that looks like a J-45 and making a guitar that sounds like a J-45 are two different things ..[snip] the usual uspects that will be named - Epis or possibly a Blue Ridge or Recording King - will be brighter sounding, lack the Gibson low end thump, and have a different note decay..."

What 'Woof said earlier gets to heart of the matter. And raises a question which may've been raised when the 12-fret Epi AJ-500RC became no longer available: why are all of these Epiphones

only available in long scale? I can see the EJ-200; a great way to whet the super jumbo appetite. These still show up once in a while for around $300. Many would've gladly paid extra for non-plastic crown fretboard inlay. A great test; to a/b an EJ-200 next to a Gibson SJ-200.

One possible explanation for no short scale Epi dreads has been Big G's desire to not pull too many sales away from Gibson Acoustic(?).

sorry about the double post

Enormous Thank You Everyone for a wealth of information.

I need to go to some stores and play guitar, but as a result of your recommendations, on my short list are (not in any order):

Inspired by '64 Texan (would buy it right sway, but they seem to have QC issues with the model, if I can believe what I read.)

EJ200ce (I would also prefer a non-cutaway version, theough the EJ200ce is really tempting.)

EJ-200 (hard to find)

12-fret AJ-500RC (would LOVE to find one of these ;))

Other Masterbuilts, non-CE. (Too bad the only masterbuilts available are CE.)

The quest is on :)

Fun time.

Will keep you updated!

Cheers

An outlier suggestion - the closest in sound and feel to a J-45 that is NOT a Gibson is ... the basic Seagull S6. The body is wee bit smaller and narrower in the lower bout, but it DOES have the sloped shoulders, AND up until very recently they used a 24.84-in scale, which is pretty kissin' close to a Gibson's nominal 24.75-in scale. I think the sound is somewhere in the sonic world between a J-45, an LG-2 and a vintage Harmony 1260 Sovereign. Note that I play that variant of fingerstyle best described as bareknuckle, using nickel-wound acoustic gauge strings. Doesn't look much like a Gibson, in fact, they're kinda plain-Jane, looks-wise, but set up right they're quite a surprise to play ...

I just got an ej200ce yesterday.

Was planning to do maybe a wee video or something ...

I want it as a gigging guitar , but am surprised enough at its sound. nice looking big thing. obviously not a Gibson , but a very pleasant cheapo guitar.

I'd recommend one to anybody .

had tried a couple of epiphones a month or so back , liked the hummingbird the best , wanted to like the cabellero but it didn't move me. The various j45 / aj copies did nothing but sound like a cheap guitar.

must be something in the big body that raises it above the average plywood guitar.

well pleased with the 200

Another for check out the IB Texan......I have a 2009 Natural and 2011 Burst both China made.

Both are in the tone range of a Gibson and my J45.

Have heard the newer Indonesian made ones are voiced different.

Masterbuilts are a mixed bag own AJ500ME in burst a 2006 and has been just a bunch of trouble nothing at all like a Gibson voice.

The couple of DR500Ms I have owned ok but nothing great and again nothing like Gibsons

The brief run Garrison Gibsons not voice like a Gibson either.

I would play some of the IB Texans or if at a GC play a J15 or J35 both tremendous guitars/value and have played a few J35s I liked better than the stores J45s.

The IB Texan nice for what they are but if you play a good example J15 or J35 right after you see right away where they fall short.

This is my daughter EJ200ce and it is the most awesome guitar for the money I have ever played. I swear this thing was $399.00 if memory serves.

Unreal for the money.

[thumbup] [thumbup]

100_2350_zps5760ecdb.jpg

I have the exact same guitar! Well worth the money. Sounds great both plugged in or acoustically.

All very good responses here. I wouldn't give up on the IB Texan. I played one this weekend at a guitar Center, I really liked it. I like the looks too.

The Gibson J-15 is very nice. I've had one since February, I love it. Sweetwater has some nice financing deals, just a thought. Good luck!

P.S. I've been looking at some of the Blueridge guitars too.

Very nice guitars. I don't know about sounding like Gibson's though.

I would think of this........how ever long it takes to "get" $400 bucks to buy that EPI do it. 3 or 4 times and get a used J45 you will not be disappointed and you will be a better guitar player in the time it takes to save up for that Gibson that you know you want... Jmho...🎯🎸

I would think of this........how ever long it takes to "get" $400 bucks to buy that EPI do it. 3 or 4 times and get a used J45 you will not be disappointed and you will be a better guitar player in the time it takes to save up for that Gibson that you know you want... Jmho...🎯🎸

that's a good point.

Some , however ,I'm sure , will never have the money for a Gibson , or justify it sitting in the house.

and some , just need a beater. be if for gigs , or clowning around the garden etc.

Great responses so far!!! I am surprised there is no love for the Epi Hummingbird.

So my ranking is EJ-200CE, IB 64 Texan and Burst-cherry Hummingbird.

I am surprised there seems to be little love for the bird ;)

Cheers

The Epi H'bird was my # 1 recommendation to the parents of my 2 students when they were looking to get their kids a 'better' guitar.

Which J-45 could be had for that kind of money?

My son has an EJ200ce in burst. He gigs with it. I tried it, but the action is high... Not a fan for just that reason and certainly unfairly have not given it the old college.

I have had AJ500Ms that were great, as well as an AJ500R.

I also agree with Red in that the IB64 is a great player. I sampled a few of them at Russo's in NJ.

If I didnt already have a few great guitars, and I was starting out, for sure in the sub $500 space Epi would be tops my list. The Martin 15 series shines in the $1k space. And of course, I just am gaga over my more expensive Southern Jumbo

Archived