Gibson Brands Forums

One cord blues

jaxson50

I'm going to have to nitpick here, forgive me.

This is in fact one chord. I'll prove it.

First off, while Jazz and Blues are similar, there is a difference in that once one starts to think about the harmony and melody of notes, starts to comprehend the meaning and dissonance of the flatted seventh, he ceases to be playing blues and starts playing Jazz. Discuss.

This here ('dis here, or dish here) is Blues.

Fact: this here tune is based on, or the same, as a Hooker tune or Slim Harpo. Same "one chord boogie" as the rest of them.

The "chord changes" are riffs. Or licks. Or whatever they called them. For examples of chord changes, reference "La Grange" version or maybe "Green Onions" as where a a riff is used and makes chord changes. Using actual chords for riffs in a Blues tune doesn't count. Discuss.

If it did, then anything played by Willie Dixon would be incomprehensible. Discuss.

That is to say, that when a Blues musician makes a chord change, he means it. How many notes played at once during a riff or where the root is at any given time, while significant in other forms of music, is not the way with blues. Discuss.

Feel free to argue. I have been seeking the answers to this most of my life. I might hope to learn something.

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, any chord which is built only with notes entirely from the scale of the key and mode could be said to be part of the melody, lick/riff as you put it. Semantics aside, there was a 3 chord and a 4 chord played. Not only that but to me there was a clear change to the harmonic centre.

Theres most certainly more than 1 chord in LA Grange, note the long section in C when the lead starts...

It's a key change for that matter.

Well, any chord which is built only with notes entirely from the scale of the key and mode could be said to be part of the melody, lick/riff as you put it. Semantics aside, there was a 3 chord and a 4 chord played. Not only that but to me there was a clear change to the harmonic centre.

Theres most certainly more than 1 chord in LA Grange, note the long section in C when the lead starts...

It's a key change for that matter.

I put this up as an example, because as you state, there IS a chord change in this tune. Unlike the "Hip Shake (Boogie)" that this tune is based on. And also, where most versions of this type of tune use single notes in the riff, Rev. Gibbons actually uses chords, particularly in the electric sections.

But...the fact that the ZZ version uses chords instead of single notes, I suggest does not change the nature, or rather, the idea it is still a riff over one chord.

A chord chenge, in Blues, rather is like what is done here when the band goes to the IV chord. THAT'S a "chord change", so to speak.

I want to point out that this very same "tune", IS in fact Slim Harpo's "Hip Shake". And, the same old argument over The HOOK'S typical stuff applies.

And these, essentially, are "one chord boogies" as opposed to "I-IV-V" or "I-VI-II-V" or other blues tunes.

The "chord changes" are riffs. Or licks. Or whatever they called them.... Discuss.

I'm a 12-bar blues player. This guy might have the blues, but I'd hesitate to call that a blues piece. Maybe country blues, which is pretty well undefined. I agree with Farns - he seems to be playing in E-minor and has that recurring quick-change to G then A in one measure. OK, a G6 chord is just an E-minor with a minor 7th thrown in, but the A chord? There's no A note in an E-minor chord. I'd call it three chords.

I'm a 12-bar blues player. This guy might have the blues, but I'd hesitate to call that a blues piece. Maybe country blues, which is pretty well undefined.

Tony Joe White is a Nashville staple, not a blues player and not a country player but something in between. The King of the Swamp.

A lotta folks play the old mountain dulcimer with just melody and drones so considered in one way, it's a one-chord piece. OTOH, adding a melody tends to add a note here and there so it's technically not "one chord."

John Lee Hooker did a lotta stuff that might be considered similarly as one chord, but... that may have more to do with where his fingers were rooted as noted above in terms of functional "chords." Functionally a lotta other "blues" material ditto.

I think in ways trying to dissect somma this stuff is kinda like dissecting and chemically analyzing a cell to define "life." You can have all the constituent parts figured but... it's not what gives it life.

m

Archived