Gibson Brands Forums

Martin HD-28, Take Two

SteveFord

This time I got smart (for a change) and went to check out the guitar in person so I could loosen the strings and bring it back in my truck.

I ended up with a really nice 2006 HD-28V which has a different tint to the front, open tuners and a V-profile neck which is a bit stouter than the regular 28 neck.

After adjusting the truss rod, filing the saddle down a fair amount, fitting medium D'Addario strings and giving it a general spiff up, I've got a keeper.

Only took 41 years of thinking about owning a Martin but I finally did it! I should have done this years ago.

It was nice to buy from an enthusiast instead of some giant chain store or a flipper on eBay and the guitar is pretty much unused. Some swirl marks and stuff but other than that, it's as new.

A happy ending.

28v1_zpsbd1c04d0.jpg

28v4_zps556cb20b.jpg

28v3_zpsd99dd693.jpg

Very good choice. I too bought one this year. A 2008 model that was virtually un played and to my amazement the sound was like coming from heaven. Never before had I ever heard a more beautiful sounding guitar. I hope you will enjoy yours as much as I have. The pictures of yours look great. Very nice guitar...........

Steve

Another beauty Steve

Tell ya what though if you plan on throwing it out a window, just chuck it over this way, I"ll take good care of it for ya, ha ha

Man, I just love Martins, <yes, that is a sign of jealousy>. NEVER should have sold mine.

A fellow on another site convinced me to give .10s a try so this morning I woke up at 4AM (kind of like Christmas here), filed the saddle down even lower and put on a set of D'Addario .10s and adjusted the truss rod.

I was afraid that they'd sound too wimpy but they sound okay to me and it plays pretty much like a 335 with a really bad set up, ha, ha. When I first got it the guitar was an open chord strummer and that's about it; a bar chord on the 10th fret was just about impossible.

I think I've found the acoustic for me, monster old-timey neck and all. It just needs a couple hundred hours of playing time to get rid of that new guitar feel.

I also see how people become Martin collectors. The seller must have quite the collection as he put some blue painter's tape on the nose of the case with the model number written on it so he wouldn't lose it in the pile!

Would love to hear it Steve if you can post a clip of it.

My D18, and my D28 were just cannons,

Just a booming sound from them.

Even though I don't play any more, I still would love to find another nice clean, well taken care of Martin.

When I lived in Las Vegas in the early 70s through the 80s, I got to know an owner of a well known shop in the Las Vegas area, and when I went to his shop one day, he had just received Wayne Newtons D45 in from Martin. Brad let me play the guitar for a couple of minutes, and I was in awe of the beautiful inlays, and sound from the D45.

I could not care less of who the new owner was, but the guitar was just a beautiful instrument.

First let me figure out how to play this damned thing (it's a bit different from a Lucille so my playing on it is borderline pathetic, in my estimation) and then I'll see if I can't figure out how to do a sound clip and then load it. I don't even do youtube links as they never work out for me.

I could put you in touch with the seller if you like - he did say he doesn't buy junk and he doesn't sell junk and from what I can see he's right.

P.S.

With high action and heavy strings this guitar has a sound like nothing else. Murder for anything above the 5th fret, though.

Archived