Gibson Brands Forums

Tuning

fdecaprio

I love my 339, it plays and sounds great...but goes out of tune too easily. Has anyone replaced nut and tuners on one of these, and with what? Thanks!

There is no reason to replace the tuners on an Epi, they are perfectly fine. Almost all tuning problems come from a poorly cut or lubricated nut. The stock nut is not the best quality and any decent shop should be able to replace it for you at a reasonable cost. If you have never done this yourself, it is worth paying to have it done properly. But a decent setup by a decent guitar tech should be able to cure any small tuning problems without changing any parts at all.

If this is a relatively new guitar and you have never changed the strings, you should do that asap. The stock strings are crap and should be replaced as soon as you get a new guitar home.

I just ordered one of these for my 339:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PQL-6060-00

I've used the PQ-6060 and PQL-6060 (XL) on many Epiphones with excellent results.

The slots are correct and the nut is slightly over-sized for adjustment.

Beside those, I like bone.

The tuners are Grover Deluxe 14:1. There should not be anything wrong with them. If you are used to higher ratio

tuners then they might not be as easily accurate. Still, once in tune they should be quite stable

barring any factory defects. (presuming your strings are wrapped properly)

If you do decide to replace the tuners it is simple enough to check hole size. I believe the holes are 10mm.

Personally, I like the vintage look. If I want a tighter tuning ratio I may add a fine tuning tailpiece.

Willy

By the way,

If you are going to replace the nut anyway, give this a try for fun.

BESIDE being good practice, it might just solve your problem...!?

If your G string is catching on your nuts...(or any of the others) You can widen slots with a torch tip cleaner:

Torch-tip-cleaner.jpg

Small round files in many gauges (Available from any welding supply store for under $5.00.)

Remember....Go wider not deeper, unless that is what you intend

Afterwards, add a bit of pencil graphite to each slot and let us know what YOU think.

Just a thought,

Willy

First, the comment about replacing factory strings is right on target. Whether it's the least expensive Epi or the most expensive Gibson, do it asap.

Second, try this when you replace those strings: When the old string is very loose, put a piece of regular bond paper under the string and move it back and forth as though it were sandpaper. If things feel rough, they just might be; keep "sanding." Then when the string is off, mark the notch with a lead pencil which will act as a lubricant.

Third, stretch the strings by hand when you replace the old with new. That will take care of 95 percent of the problem right there. At least it should.

m

First, the comment about replacing factory strings is right on target. Whether it's the least expensive Epi or the most expensive Gibson, do it asap.

Second, try this when you replace those strings: When the old string is very loose, put a piece of regular bond paper under the string and move it back and forth as though it were sandpaper. If things feel rough, they just might be; keep "sanding." Then when the string is off, mark the notch with a lead pencil which will act as a lubricant.

Third, stretch the strings by hand when you replace the old with new. That will take care of 95 percent of the problem right there. At least it should.

m

+ 1 regarding restringing.

After restringing I always tune to pitch, then pull each string upward 90deg from the fretboard to release any energy trapped north of the nut and retune.

Another tip I have found useful over the years is always tune up to pitch. If the note goes sharp take it flat and try again.

And always lube your nuts.

Guys thanks for all the helpful replies. I do change strings regularly, with D'addario pure nickel or most recently ghs burnished nickel which I like a lot. I use 10's and always stretch them when stringing. Have not tried the paper trick, nor have I lubed the nut. Will try those things before nut replacement.

Archived