Gibson Brands Forums

Best way to try to find stolen guitars

billyboy

Hello out there. Yeah a Mk-_72 Gibson (1976) was taken from my home in SW Calgary AB, Canada on Nov 10,2014 along with other valuables,id, passports etc.as well as two other Gibson's a 69-70 Les Paul Deluxe Gold-Top and a ES-335TD Blonde along with the cases and all the information about them in the cases. The Mk-72 is the one I'm really upset about as there are only a couple left in all of North America as most just collapsed on themselves so were not popular or sought after but mine survived up this point and is in amazing playing condition as well as the body is in great condition. Any adice on what would be the best proceedure to go about trying to find out where they might be. Dont think they will try to get rid of them in my city and might even end up State side.Help! Any bit of information will be appreciated.

Have you done your duty Notifying Police? also.. serial numbers? Im in Calgary.. Message me if you feel the need.. I deal lots with Guitars around this area.. also... Pawn shops, here and Edmonton. notify Vintage Music, Mcc, Guitar works. L&M, Rocky pawn.. and dont kid your self about those not staying around here.. Most do this crime to feed there Dope habits.. theyll sell amongst there spineless friends .

Btw.. if anything they will head west or east to the big cities.

Hard to speak for Canada. Here - file your police report. Call you insurance agent. Watch Ebay, Craigslist and your local paper for sales. The police check pawn shops and once they have the serial numbers they will recover them if they find them. Then go shipping for replacements and wait for your insurance check, minus your deductible of course.

Forgot to mention.. post your Stolen guitars on Kijiji, and Craigs list .. anyone looking will use that as a checking outlet to see what values they may have.. if someone scoops one of yours they have the info required to let you know.. and keep it posted for as long as it takes.

We lost a couple of guitars from storage while having work done on our house. 1931 L-2 and Martin HD-28SO #16. Did the Police thing and got it on the stolen list. Then I watched the internet for six months. Basically I found them on line -- and got them back. Like yours, these were rare so the were easy to identify and prove ownership.

Good luck.

Hope you recorded the serial numbers and took a photo or two. A guy over at AGF recently found a guitar stolen from him on eBay. So that is a place to keep an eye on. Also local pawn shops, music stores and such.

There is a Stolen Guitar registry out there somewhere. You might try doing a search for it. Don't have a clue if it is worth the time of day though.

Have you done your duty Notifying Police? also.. serial numbers? Im in Calgary.. Message me if you feel the need.. I deal lots with Guitars around this area.. also... Pawn shops, here and Edmonton. notify Vintage Music, Mcc, Guitar works. L&M, Rocky pawn.. and dont kid your self about those not staying around here.. Most do this crime to feed there Dope habits.. theyll sell amongst there spineless friends .

Btw.. if anything they will head west or east to the big cities.

Hey slimt, my name is Ron Billy and I live in SW Calgary Braeside area. Would love to keep in touch with you as you seem to have the ablility to have a heads up on the kind of guitars that were stolen from me. My e-mail is ronbilly@shaw.ca. I also have contacted some others on the Gibson Forume site and they have passed on some places for me to get in touch with on the States side. They also are one of the few owners of Mk-72 and Mk-81 Guitars so they get how I'm feeling right now. I get that you do as well and I appreciate that. I travelled for 25 years (1976-1999)in a duo act and also in a Rock and Roll and Coutry-Rock band out of Calgary across mostly Western Canada and a bit in Ontario. Am in contact with a few of them that are still out there and have let them know what happened and what was taken. Just getting the word out there anyway possible. Will get more info for you on the guitars as well as many pictures of them I can pass along. Only one serial number 956 192 from the Les Paul DEluxe. It could be anywhere from a 1968-70 depending on what neck they attached to what body as some of the numbers don't jive with the serial number on neck and with some of the pots. Bought new in Winnipeg in 1970-71. Hope to hear back from you again soon Ron

Hey Ron.. a serial number is important.. not concerned with pots as most thieves have no idea. .. message me with all the numbers.. I watch every day for Guitars.. and inquire on most. but I would give the numbers to the Guitar stores i had mentioned in the earlier post. there always getting tradeins.. there always buying.. and they have to hold those for a period of time prior to selling.

Archived