Gibson Brands Forums

GIBSON J-200 Laminated B&S from 55 until when?

frenchie1281734003

Every J-200 I have ever seen made from 1955 into the early 1960s had laminate maple back and sides. My wife's 1960 J-200 certainly does. Never really played around with enough J-200s built after that to answer the question.

If I had to guess though I would say until 1984 when Gibson went through a "back to basics" thing and came out with anniversary model J-200. Possibly the most significant thing about the laminate body J-200s that showed up in 1955 is the top bracing with Gibson going with a second wide angle X brace above the soundhole.

I don't believe that '55 is a set-in-stone date by any means.

I think it's "much more likely" that a later '50s and certainly an early to mid and later '60s Gibson will have laminated sides and/or back, but I don't think it is an all-inclusive thing.

I have seen late '50s Gibsons with solid sides and/or back. Many (or most) of the 60s maple Gibson acoustics do sport laminated b&s though.

Fred

Well, if you're lucky, you learn something new every day. I didn't know until reading this that SJ-200's had laminate back and sides...ever! I would think that for what they go for that they would've always been solid wood. They must be the most expensive laminate guitars one can buy. Who'd a thunk? I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what was the reasoning behind going laminate in the years mentioned? I can understand some of the war era things but this is well afterward.

Archived