Gibson Brands Forums

Criminally overlooked...

Jimi Mac

In honor of the recent topics of those bands or artists we either get or don't, on similar ideology I thought of songs, bands, artists/guitarists that get criminally overlooked...

It can be anything from 1-hit wonders to entire careers worth of work from bands, guitarists, or music artists in general. Considering the forum we're on, I generally think guitar players or guitar showcase songs...

I'll go first.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUFT2uMzexc

While heard of and even famous for songs other than Blues, being that I'm a Blues-Hound and the name of the band is The Climax Blues Band, formerly; The Climax Chicago Blues Band, this one is hot and while far and away from some of the body of work they're more known for which to me seems to have drifted into pop/easy-listening in the 70's, this one immediately caught my attention!

The guitarist; Pete Haycock, could definitely get it done!

I think it is a marvelous song and these guys don't get mentioned enough in such conversations...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say guitarist Mark Makoway from the Canadian band Moist. They were kind of a mix of grunge and alt rock.

Growing up I was really into this band, but they never got much recognition here in the UK (or in the USA). They only made 3 albums in the mid to late 90's, but the first 2 were really good and I always liked Makoway's tone and simple yet cool solos. Their album Creature from 1996 is my favourite.

A local band we had here in Perth,W.A. They used to play in a bar down the beach called the indi bar. Band was PowerShift. Fronted up by a very talented guitarist called Mark Videlli. Miss going down there on a Friday night to see them. Was good fun.

We've had these type topics before and I almost always list Crack The Sky. I think they were picked by RS magazine as New Band of the Year or something back in about 1979. But I don't think they ever made it outside the mid East area of the US. This is just one of the many songs that still get played on local radio. For those who only want to hear kick a@# guitar, the solo starts at 3:00

We've had these type topics before and I almost always list Crack The Sky. I think they were picked by RS magazine as New Band of the Year or something back in about 1979. But I don't think they ever made it outside the mid East area of the US. This is just one of the many songs that still get played on local radio. For those who only want to hear kick a@# guitar, the solo starts at 3:00

Your right, love that solo.

Stevie Wright, formerly of the easybeats, singing Evie parts 1,2 and 3. Now there's some kick a$$ guitar playing. Still gives me goosebumps listening to it. If you want, check out the live performance on the steps of the Sydney Opera House on you tube. Was filmed in the early 80's I think. And check out the back up singers (wow), there's a whole thread right there!

No doubt there are lots of talented bands who are being overlooked today. There was a great band in the '70s that was so overlooked I can't even find a youtube. The band's name was Sand out of Portland, OR. Anybody else heard them?

My buddy from Ohio likes them. Don't they have a song called Surf City?

Yeah. Surf City, All American Boy, She's a Dancer, Ice, Skin Deep, Techni Generation, shall I go on? :rolleyes:

Depending on the song they can sound like pop/rock, prog, or new wave.

Edit: Matter of fact they are still around and playing in Baltimore this weekend. I might have have to go, since I haven't seen them since about 1988 at the old Hammerjacks. Ah, nostalgia... B)

http://www.crackthesky.com/

Stevie Wright, formerly of the easybeats, singing Evie parts 1,2 and 3. Now there's some kick a$ guitar playing. Still gives me goosebumps listening to it. If you want, check out the live performance on the steps of the Sydney Opera House on you tube. Was filmed in the early 80's I think. And check out the back up singers (wow), there's a whole thread right there!

Wasn't that the band with one of Angus & Malcolm Young's older brothers?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iW2_Ec3uEU

Yup, that's George Young to the left of the lead singer; Steive Wright. (dark haired guitarist-not the blonde)

George & that Blonde; Harry Vanda became the managers of AC/DC...

I'll toss another band/guitarist into the mix...

Killing Floor - another great British Blues band that rarely gets talked about with guitarist Mick Clarke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcLFEEskcQ

Mick Clarke, an avid SG player, has had a pretty prolific solo career and reminds me of Snowy White...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kq71ksosOrw

I hear rare mention of his name in guitar discussions...

10cc have always been underrated and never received the airplay they deserved, at least here in the States anyway.

Eric Stewart solo at the end of their opus "Feel The Benefit." Caution: LP content. [woot]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5p_Edok_ho

Σß

Love 10CC, great band. Great sense of humour (rubber bullets)

1416799637[/url]' post='1594063']

And....

Martin Barre is one very overlooked guitarist.

I saw Jethro Tull, great show, the band I posted is Blodwyn Pig, which was the brainchild of Mick Abrahams who along with Ian Anderson started Jethro Tull, if you check them out you will definitely hear a likeness.

I saw Jethro Tull, great show, the band I posted is Blodwyn Pig, which was the brainchild of Mick Abrahams who along with Ian Anderson started Jethro Tull, if you check them out you will definitely hear a likeness.

I'm so envious! I never, ever got the chance to see both of them. A big disapointment.

I would say Robin Trower. Bridge of Sighs is an incredible album...but he plays a Fender. If I had to name an overlooked Gibson player it would be Gary Rossington/Allen Collins (Lynryd Skynyrd) or Tom Scholz (Boston) in the rock genre. But the fact that the kids nowadays do not know who Joe Pass is...that's a crime...

Archived