Gibson Brands Forums

Criminally overlooked...

Jimi Mac

I tend to be with Surreal on Joe Pass. The guy knew the instrument. Period. He also knew accompaniment as well as solo material.

But overall there are lots of talented folks who just didn't click either with the business folk or the public at a given point.

Also I think that since around 1980, we had a major change in media that keeps increasing. There are lots and lots of very talented musicians and very "together" bands in all sorts of styles but... frankly I'm utterly convinced that due to splintering of audiences compared to the Ed Sullivan television era, there ain't never gonna be the "big names" of the past, regardless of talent.

m

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say Robin Trower. Bridge of Sighs is an incredible album...but he plays a Fender. If I had to name an overlooked Gibson player it would be Gary Rossington/Allen Collins (Lynryd Skynyrd) or Tom Scholz (Boston) in the rock genre.

I'd not call any of those cats overlooked at all.

10cc have always been underrated and never received the airplay they deserved, at least here in the States anyway.

Eric Stewart solo at the end of their opus "Feel The Benefit." Caution: LP content. [woot]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5p_Edok_ho

Σß

Nice! One I'd never heard of! I love discovering new stuff!

And....

Martin Barre is one very overlooked guitarist.

I'm not sure Tull is overlooked, but I do get what you're saying about gutarist conversations/articles/lists... He was certainly exceptional and I've always been a big fan of his work. Moreso than Mick Abrahams' work with the band...

Certainly in this forum, he'll be plenty well known and respected!

But the fact that the kids nowadays do not know who Joe Pass is...that's a crime...

I think Joe Pass sadly is one guy that appeals mainly to musicians, as I guess he's too high brow for a lot of regular people. In music circles I certainly wouldn't say he is overlooked as he did a lot for jazz guitar in his time and got a lot of exposure playing with Ella too.

I do agree though that amongst young people he is not that well known and that is a crime for sure, but then the same applies to many great players such as Jimmy Raney, Tal Farlow, Barney Kessel, etc. However, then there are all the greats who never got known - all the guys who never got a record deal, but where fantastic musicians. I can name a number of people who I have met or studied with who are incredible musicians, but will sadly never be known to the world. I still think there are generally more great players outside the so called 'record industry' than inside the business nowadays.

I would say Robin Trower. Bridge of Sighs is an incredible album...but he plays a Fender. If I had to name an overlooked Gibson player it would be Gary Rossington/Allen Collins (Lynryd Skynyrd) or Tom Scholz (Boston) in the rock genre. But the fact that the kids nowadays do not know who Joe Pass is...that's a crime...

Fender... Gibson... Any axe brand is fine in this thread, no specific preferences intended because of the host site...

Hell I'll drop a Fender player...

D!ck Dale!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fwx2pephwKU

This crazy cat's still goin'!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA7Iwnbt__I

Did I mention lefties kill me?!? Updide-down & backwards...

D!ck Dale is the Godfather of surf! He's a pioneering origial! Funny he's from my own home state of The People's Republic of Massachusetts, yet he's known as a California surf guy where he moved to in his teens & began his surf guitar career and the genre...

Can't wait till somebody mentions a band that has actually been overlooked.

Maybe not totally overlooked to music nerds, but I would say these bands/ artists are quite unknown to many and rarely get mentioned;

Lafayette Afro Rockband (a French funk/ groove band from the 70's)

Vancouver Chinese Music Ensemble (a great ensemble from Vancouver oddly!)

Empirical (A UK jazz band who love Eric Dolphy)

Ravish Momin (Session drummer who made some interesting solo records)

Crooked Still (US Chamber Bluegrass band who never get mentioned over here in the UK!)

Maybe not sticking to the original post 'guitar related' bands, but oh well! Sorry!

I'll add some more later if I get time...

For what it's worth, and I have to believe what I see is the case elsewhere, there are batches of weekend warrior bands that have been playing, in some cases making a full time living, by making audiences happy with their music. That latter means they get paid by venues because venues know they'll make money if the group is there.

There are a number of bands meeting that description in the region where I live. Some have been playing since the mid 60s or before. Some are younger. Generally they can handle a rock book or a country book and/or a combination of the above. The bottom line is that we're talking about musicians of far above average talent and skill who still love gigging either in a full or part time lifestyle. I know of one case where "Dad," who's about my age, is pretty much in the process of turning things over to his daughter who's somewhere at 40-something but an exceptional singer and keyboard player.

Our own "Notes" Norton and his wife obviously are doing something right regardless that they're not necessarily MTV material. They're very talented musicians who are making a living and a life out of music. Is Bob necessarily the world's greatest guitar picker? I doubt he'd claim that, but he's obviously doing something right to be making audiences happy on a consistent enough basis to be asked back to various venues year after year after year.

Even guys like once-famed Rick Derringer - I heard him "back when" he was pickin' with "The McCoys" and ain't got a clue if he's still pickin' for money - ain't exactly gonna be called up to do the halftime at the Superbowl. Neither will a lot of old folkie pickers who are still out there doing their thing whether for love or money and once were considered near-deities of guitar pickin' but never made much money from it.

Too, there are bands that stay together and make money literally for generations that aren't really all that technically skilled or talented, but practice to the point that they swing and bring audiences to the dance floor, tapping toes, singing along and - keeping venues making money. There used to be dozens of polka bands in various rural areas in the "midwest" that did exactly that for ages.

m

A coupla sides of some guys who play around here.

I don't care much for the style in the first shot of Joe wilt, but if you listen through, the guy's a picker big time. Hear plenty of speed later on...

He's playin' pedal steel in the second bit while still holding his incredibly disreputable looking Gibson semi. Joe's Brother Tommy is the fiddle picker and he does a gypsy jazz game as well as any.

They sound better with a real sound guy. But fun and loose... Texas ain't gottem all - either saloons or pickers - but the weather tends to scare off the big wheels.

How is anyone that is a big name known artist like Robin Trower or Tom Scholz criminally over looked? Just because they are not in the limelight right now does not mean they are overlooked.

I think a case can be made from conversations and even published lists of a "Top 1XX guitarists" kind of ideal...

I don't hear Robin Trower mentioned much in those kind of articles and I really do enjoy his work tremendously. Just when I've given it "a good leavin' alone" and my perception of it is; "meh" I go in for another listen and find Robin Trower's music exceptional all over again...

The Boston guys always seemed like a little bit of a 1-trick pony to me... True enough they were very original and cutting edge of finding that kind of tone and sustain, but they always sounded exactly the same and their sound never fluctuated. But I cannot argue with how good they were at making that sounding music! And clearly they were both exceptional guitarists and musicians especially from an arrangement writing perspective.

I'll toss in another...

Dave Hole!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlcz6Aj0HKw

This guy is utterly amazing with his unorthodox slide style...

Then the SOB can play traditionally with the best of 'em!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jWnxm1O6O0

He's scary good!!!

How's about...

Frank Marino!

The guy was unGodly fiery!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_JBdjtc5RQ&feature=youtu.be

A fantastic Johnny Winter influence is clear and present!

And now he's just a God!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_03JOp4DcY&feature=youtu.be

I hear a heavy Robby Krieger influence on him as he's matured, not to mention the Allman Brothers thing he had goin' on in there for a bit too...

Yeah. Surf City, All American Boy, She's a Dancer, Ice, Skin Deep, Techni Generation, shall I go on? :rolleyes:

Depending on the song they can sound like pop/rock, prog, or new wave.

Edit: Matter of fact they are still around and playing in Baltimore this weekend. I might have have to go, since I haven't seen them since about 1988 at the old Hammerjacks. Ah, nostalgia... B)

http://www.crackthesky.com/

It's kinda funny. The real Crack The Sky is playing tonight at Ram's Head Live (a big venue in the Baltimore inner harbor). I probably won't get to catch that show. But last night I went to this little dive bar to see an old high school friends band play, and they did 3 CTS covers. [thumbup]

How about 2 criminally overlooked songs by a big artist - Neil Young

I always think Neil has an incredible ability to write such emotive, simple songs, yet they sound like nobody else could make them.

First 'Interstate', a bonus track on the vinyl version of the 1996 album Broken Arrow, an incredible song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJehUdcKQYQ&feature=youtu.be

and 'Give Me Strength' which was to be on the unreleased 1975 album 'Homegrown' and what a great album that would have been if released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZN7u8XI3g8

PS, how do you get videos to appear on the threads instead of links?

When I was young.

This guy was a true guitar god to me.

Very overlooked because he was at that time "that Hendrix guy."

Absolutely I think Frank Marino gets criminally overlooked. I think alot of the guys that always get top billing are afraid of him! He's that good!!!

His brother from Mahogany Rush ain't no slouch either; Vince Marino that was generally relegated to rhythm guitar with the band mostly...

Some of his stuff is just really out there though... Very prog-rock or even beyond psychedelia, more like supra-genius reference stuff that is way too deep for me...

That guy can play circles around most, while chewin' gum while he plays... He's just phenomenal!

I'll try another...

Another Canadian (like Frank Marino) that gets nearly zero notoriety and can tear up any list of guitarists. He's pretty contemporary though and not from the 70's or the 80's and I'm not sure he really hit the scene until after Y2K...

Steve Hill

Man can this boy finger-pick!

Oli Brown's no slouch either, but Steve Hill is just amazing!

Here he is with British sensation Oli Brown...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FokqvUaJxuU&feature=youtu.be

He does some really cool 1-man band like stuff too...

Check out the drums at his feet he's playing with kick-pedals...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsnYEHtzp84&feature=youtu.be

Amazing!

Archived