Gibson Brands Forums

"Never Buy A Gibson Guitar Older Than 2010"

MAGID

Hi,

I've always wanted to learn the guitar and after doing a lot of research I decided I wanted to get the Gibson SG Original so while I was in London I went to a famous guitar shop that when I enquired a worker advised me not to get any Gibson guitar after 2010 because a flood happened that damaged all the wood and that Gibson just used "hair dryers" to dry them and just used the damaged wood. He told me that the fretboard goes green after a while and it loses value dramatically as soon as you get it. He pretty much shat on my hopes of getting the Gibson SG original but I just didn't want to take his word for it so thought I'd seek your guys opinions on this.

Cheers,

Magid

post-68650-060422700 1416791476_thumb.jpg

Yup... Absolute nonsense......

I own a 2011 made guitar and have had it for several years and its fine....

Of all of the complaints (and there are many) that people have with their Gibsons ive seen on here ive never once read anything like it.

Me too. But even if they had a 100% foolproof way to have saved those guitars, the damage from rumors like the original post would far outweigh any money saved. Best to bandsaw them and be done.

It would have been cool if they sold them off for $50 a pop as wall hangers though. Drill a huge hole in them or something so we wouldn't be tempted to fix them. Right through the back of the neck, destroying the truss rod.

Ya.. I think the worker was talking out of his A@# .. I think Gibson has a lot more common sense than that for sure.. I have had my share of Bad New guitars from Gibson, just like all other companies,, but someone bashing with a comment like that shouldnt be working for a Guitar store..

Hi,

I've always wanted to learn the guitar and after doing a lot of research I decided I wanted to get the Gibson SG Original so while I was in London I went to a famous guitar shop that when I enquired a worker advised me not to get any Gibson guitar after 2010 because a flood happened that damaged all the wood and that Gibson just used "hair dryers" to dry them and just used the damaged wood. He told me that the fretboard goes green after a while and it loses value dramatically as soon as you get it. He pretty much shat on my hopes of getting the Gibson SG original but I just didn't want to take his word for it so thought I'd seek your guys opinions on this.

Cheers,

Magid

Hello Magid, and welcome to this nice place in the web.

Some of my Gibsons are younger than made in 2010, some older. Which ones did you want to say should have a problem?

yea,, it's a pack-a lies..

I gotta wonder why do people talk out of their anal orifices like this?

Now obviously some one some where a long the way is going to repeat this nonsense,

and then,, this pin head will loose all credibility,, not that they had any worth worrying about any way..

If you follow the logic of a 2010 guitar possibly being damaged by flood issues, or any guitar having any kind of issues from an event in 2010....

It would make MORE sense that 4 years is plenty of time to dry out raw wood. And if the guitar was built around that time and does NOT have issues flood related, chances are slim to none they would develop.

Really, if a saleman was trying to convince me of any quality issues, I would be glad to discuss the discount he thinks it justifies.

Of corse, if he doesn't have the guitar or the brand I am asking for, there really is nothing to discuss is there? I mean, "Lets discuss what you might sell me, not what you can't" kinda thing.

Hi guys,

Thank you to those that replied back and gave me the reassurance, I've placed an order for my SG guitar which I can't wait to receive. I thought coming here would be the best place to get sound advice as im a beginner and don't know that much about Gibson SG's, so I totally appreciate it.

Kidblast: Who are you calling a pin head?

Duane V: Why are you performing an IP check on me?

Cheers,

Magid

Hi guys,

Thank you to those that replied back and gave me the reassurance, I've placed an order for my SG guitar which I can't wait to receive. I thought coming here would be the best place to get sound advice as im a beginner and don't know that much about Gibson SG's, so I totally appreciate it.

Cheers,

Magid

You're clear...lol..... You're first post was rather unusual for a new members first post.... nothin personal [thumbup]

Hi guys,

Cheers,

Magid

As far as I know and as you can probably imagine we get a lot of trolls and trouble makers on here... And some seem to just come on to rubbish Gibson in some way.. And some people get banned... So id imagine hes just checking you arnt someone whos banned and joined under a new name.

And yes despite some of the reactions on here (and it was a bit of a ridiculous claim, that store guy needs a good talking too) this is a great place for questions...

Either that or hes going to track your address down and come after you with a baseball bat ;) :)

that would be the person who told you this crappy news in the first place.

this:

so while I was in London I went to a famous guitar shop that when I enquired a worker advised me not to get any Gibson guitar after 2010

That was NOT aimed at you, apologies for not being clear.

I have over 3,600 posts, and been here for a few years,, in that time, I've never poked at anyone on this forum.. ever.

Hi,

Yea I can understand it may have come cross as a bit of a strange first post but I literally just joined the forum to seek advise on this matter so thank you again for your input. And no I didn't take anything personal Duane V i was just a bit baffled but totally understand now, and my bad kidblast I must of interpreted it wrong. Just glad I came on here because I couldn't find anything about it online, which goes to show it ws a load of ****. It really baffles me the extent this guy went too, I'm going to write to the manager of the store just to make sure this doesn't happen again. God know how many times this guy talked **** about Gibson guitars to people.

Cheers,

Magid

Hi,

Yea I can understand it may have come cross as a bit of a strange first post but I literally just joined the forum to seek advise on this matter so thank you again for your input. And no I didn't take anything personal Duane V i was just a bit baffled but totally understand now, and my bad kidblast I must of interpreted it wrong. Just glad I came on here because I couldn't find anything about it online, which goes to show it ws a load of ****. It really baffles me the extent this guy went too, I'm going to write to the manager of the store just to make sure this doesn't happen again. God know how many times this guy talked **** about Gibson guitars to people.

Cheers,

Magid

Since Gibson's are so "crappy" after 2010, why not solve this rubbish by having him cut you a "discount" on a new post-2010 Gibby?

• 2 weeks later...

If any of you poor people HAVE Gibson guitars older than 2010, I will do you a favor and take them off your hands for say $50 or so before they degrade totally to mush...

I'm just that kind of guy...msp_rolleyes.gif

I'd go up to $85 for those old style fat archtops...

Archived