Gibson Brands Forums

Playing My 1937 Gibson L-0

BluesKing777

Thanks for the replies!

PickitPaul....the guitar has a long, long story that most here know, but here is a short version:

Everyday, I try to ride my push bike along a bike track near me that goes through a nature reserve, wetlands, a river, a creek over a bridge and if I am feeling good, all the way to a beach. One day, I stopped at the local garage to get a drink, and this guy was sitting at a bench waiting for a bus noodling on his guitar. I stopped for a listen and he yelled out to me to see if he could swap the guitar for the bike! The guitar had no logo, the frets and board were awful and the paint finish...eehhh. I thought it looked a bit like a Gibson L-00, so I asked if I could try it. He said his name was Bob and It was really hard to play but sounded ok, so I was about to take it. But I looked around and my bike was gone!

So, I recently had a new fretboard,saddle, nut, tuners.....and there it is!

BluesKing777.

Thanks for the replies!

Everyday, I try to ride my push bike along a bike track near me that goes through a nature reserve, wetlands, a river, a creek over a bridge and if I am feeling good, all the way to a beach. One day, I stopped at the local garage to get a drink, and this guy was sitting at a bench waiting for a bus noodling on his guitar. I stopped for a listen and he yelled out to me to see if he could swap the guitar for the bike! The guitar had no logo, the frets and board were awful and the paint finish...eehhh. I thought it looked a bit like a Gibson L-00, so I asked if I could try it. He said his name was Bob and It was really hard to play but sounded ok, so I was about to take it. But I looked around and my bike was gone!

So, I recently had a new fretboard,saddle, nut, tuners.....and there it is!

BluesKing777.

At least he didn't ask for your soul in exchange for the guitar.

He tried to take a soul, but couldn't find one!

So of course the real story of buying the old guitar is a bit boring really to others while exciting to me at the time - what a shock - I bought it off eBay and the guy lied! How unusual!

I knew he was lying though!!!! L-00s and L-0s are hard come by in this part of the world, so I planned to get it up to working order as I pressed that fateful 'buy' button.

But while fairly unplayable, it sounded really good when we made some kind of contact with a string, so I took it to my luthier/guitar tech and he did an 'interim setup' to make it a shade more playable while I decide if I wanted the neck reset....I did, but it ended up being a new fretboard, bridge, saddle, nut, tuners and a few more visits to the doctor!

And the video above shows where we are now. I just had another nut put on it - a lot wider string spacing and it is really good, but I still like playing with the capo on at least the 2nd fret because the previous owner shaved a bit off the V neck [cursing] [cursing] [cursing] , which I told my tech to leave - if he smoothed it all out it would end up like a late 60s/70s Gibson skinny neck. eek!

I'm getting the feeling the guitar is going to be the 'gift that keeps on giving' and returns to the shop a lot....... :mellow:

BluesKing777.

A little sidebar for the ones that listened to the video, probably have to be with headphones to hear, but there is a couple of blackbirds on my roof happily chirping away through my recordings lately. Yesterday, I did a couple of recordings in my music room and the bird is ALL the way through - it must be on the gutter outside my music room window. SO, I think, if you can't beat 'em.... I'll record Blackbird!

Silence!

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

BluesKing777.

A little sidebar for the ones that listened to the video, probably have to be with headphones to hear, but there is a couple of blackbirds on my roof happily chirping away through my recordings lately. Yesterday, I did a couple of recordings in my music room and the bird is ALL the way through - it must be on the gutter outside my music room window. SO, I think, if you can't beat 'em.... I'll record Blackbird!

Silence!

:mellow: :mellow: :mellow:

BluesKing777.

Do it!

Archived