Gibson Brands Forums

Turning a Custom in to a Custom

duane v

For some reason when I'm looking at the split diamond headstock I cant help but to get this empty feeling when looking at all the chrome hardware.... I thought for sure I's get over it in a couple of days of having it, but the emptiness just kept growing

Well today I purchased gold Faber hardware, gold switchcraft output plug and selector switch, gold Gibby can covers, gold pickup pole screws, gold pup adjustment screws, gold TRC screws, gold back plate screws, potensiometer retaining gold nut and washers, and gold Gibson keystone tuners [scared]

All these little upgrades are gonna make my $1499 Gibby a $1799 one....lol ..... I also removed the pick guard [thumbup]

Sounds like you are really pimping the old whore.

I don't understand your arithmetic though. To make a $1499 guitar a $1799 guitar, you add $300 in new components. I don't know the cost of new gold accessories, but it looks to me like you are adding $1799 in components to a $1499 guitar... thus making it a $3298 guitar.

Sure hope it sounds as good as it looks.

Not bad Duane, I got my Black Custom at GC for a little over $3000 and it was a great deal so for 1799 you did good. Sell the old hardware you you'll do even better… [thumbup]

I'm sorry guys.... I was talking about my MidTown Custom

2464B693-32B6-43CE-9AD7-030FF27888A6_zps8zhvh4pj.jpg

That bridge does look better, looks like a change for mine coming up.

If there is one thing I like about the Faber ABR1 is that you can slam the tailpiece all the way down to the body and the strings will not touch the bridge [thumbup]

If there is one thing I like about the Faber ABR1 is that you can slam the tailpiece all the way down to the body and the strings will not touch the bridge [thumbup]

Hello Duane!

Did You use the Faber iNsert studs as well?

Cheers... Bence

Well some more of the gold stuff came in

Gold Pup Covers

Gold Pup pole screws

Gibby Grover Tuners

Gold TRC screws

Gold back plate screws

Gold switch

more gold stuff comin in.... It has such a warmer look to it with the gold

IMG_6801_zpsc539c480.jpg

IMG_6793_zps754248fd.jpg

Outstanding, Duane! That's exactly what I would have done, as well, IF I owned a Midtown Custom! [thumbup]

Looks Great!

CB

As I appreciate everyone's input, your approval stamp always has a wax seal effect on me ...lol.... Anywhoo I was digging through my parts bench and lord I have tons of parts and I came across these (see pic).... I called this lady friend of mine that does jewlery /watch repair and she has this gold plating machine, and she said she could have them plated for me in a few hours on friday!!!! [thumbup]

IMG_6803_zps235ff191.jpg

Archived