Gibson Brands Forums

Saddest sight ever

Rabs

Ok well maybe not ever... but DAMM!!!!

KS Daddy posted a pic from the big flood Gibson had (in 2010 me thinks)... I never quite realised the extent of the damage...

NUTS...

(hope you don't mind me re posting but after looking it up I thought it needed sharing on here for people who may not know about it :))

:(

flood-07_zps6f777f55.jpg

firebird_flood-pattern_04_zps554e45c3.jpg

flood-06_zps1f692000.jpg

b3834c5fc2_zps966151a4.jpg

a Rich Robinson

rr6_sm_zpsfd015b0e.jpg

And probably the saddest one (the one that KSD uploaded)

56003077_n_zpsdd94c904.jpg

Wow, crazy. I never knew this until today in another thread and...just now (Thx, Rabs).

So my question, without malice, is it possible to re-dry the wood? Trees get pounded by weather, no?

I'm certain, or at least hopeful, that the Board Members with the knowledge jump in with their expertise.

What happened to all of that beautiful wood? [confused]

Oh I forgot to post this pic too

ll-ten-630-80_zps1bf9127e.jpg

And well id imagine that most of them got trashed... Donno... maybe they got donated to a local art college? (that would have been a cool thing to do).

Ok well maybe not ever... but DAMM!!!!

KS Daddy posted a pic from the big flood Gibson had (in 2010 me thinks)... I never quite realised the extent of the damage...

NUTS...

(hope you don't mind me re posting but after looking it up I thought it needed sharing on here :))

:(

flood-07_zps6f777f55.jpg

firebird_flood-pattern_04_zps554e45c3.jpg

flood-06_zps1f692000.jpg

b3834c5fc2_zps966151a4.jpg

a Rich Robinson

rr6_sm_zpsfd015b0e.jpg

And probably the saddest one (the one that KSD uploaded)

56003077_n_zpsdd94c904.jpg

Looks like Pete Townshend had a fit!

Jeff-Senn-Guitarss-Page.jpg

Also flooded was the Musicians Hall of Fame.

Schermerhorn-flood-damage2-May-2010-590x393.jpg

The Schermerhorn Symphony hall. Thats two Steinway concert grand pianos, valued at $100,000 each, and a $2.5 million pipe organ you're looking at.

bradfloodguitars1.jpg

"Sound Check" is a massive rehearsal and storage facility here where most of the big acts store their gear. Here's Brad Paisley's collection that he had stored there.

The Ryman as mentioned.

Tennessee%20Floods_Stur(4).jpg

Gibson CEO Henry J's personal guitar collection which was in his basement was destroyed when his house flooded.

Then there was my house.

Yeah and your workshop too....

While we do have some flooding over here ive never been effected by it... Cant even imagine what it must be like to find my home or work place partially underwater [crying]

Nature sure can be a Bi**h

Having been through a flooded business (4' of water through the entire building, offices and warehouse), I doubt that any musical instrument that has been submerged in flood water is ever playable (or even salvageable at reasonable cost) ever again.

Besides the obvious effects of the water (on finishes, wood, glue joints and electronics), the bigger problem is FLOOD SILT. Flood waters are saturated with the finest particles of dirt and soil dust (not to mention sewage, garbage, gas and oil). Everywhere the water goes it leaves EVERYTHING coated in silt, inside and out.

Larry really hit it: A flood is not just water. It's every bit of crap from upstream you might imagine, and the water itself can and should be considered dangerous. Those flood guitars aren't just made wet, they're almost literally made disease carriers in one way or another.

What strikes me is how this hit Gibson, the government hit Gibson... and the company still is there.

HenryJ had initially wanted to start a "talk with the company and wheels" set on the Gibson forums, and that turned into a "bash Gibson and HenryJ on a very nasty personal basis." I thought it stank, frankly. It's one thing to suggest a rerun of CF100e and another to get horribly nasty and personal with the company president.

He didn't, as I recall, even want to mention his personal losses in the flood. Those guitars were instruments that meant something to him beyond just examples of this or that model. That's what floods do, and fires and other disasters to families. It's not just the economic loss, it's the stuff that may not even have a 25-cent "value" externally, but are pieces of our lives.

I guess I'm pretty happy with today's forum in that we don't have the personal nastiness we had some years ago. We can have opinions on this or that guitar, but oddly we keep buying Gibsons and Epis and such because overall they're each something special, and offer lots of options to different sorts of players. Heck, I don't even like the LP personally, but I'm not going to criticize the company for still making them or the tens of thousands of players who love 'em in their many variations.

It almost seems a miracle that Gibson still overall is making some of the best musical instruments of their type after some pretty bad times in the past, even aside from the flood and federal raids.

m

It almost seems a miracle that Gibson still overall is making some of the best musical instruments of their type after some pretty bad times in the past, even aside from the flood and federal raids.

m

Very good point, sir.

I don't think it can be understated how much 2 events like this WILL affect ANY company.

But even going beyong that, about the "nastiness" toward Ol' Henry: We should ALL try and remember where it was exactly the Gibson company was before he came into the picture. And then what he has done with it. Where did that thought go?

If someone really wanted something to complain about, the Gibson guitars pre-Henry were a far cry from what we wanted. And what we have gotton in the Henry term here is better than anyone would have predicted.

Firebird X's and robo tuners, while they may suck for the most of us, don't change the above fact. But a flood that ruins your stock and tools and government intervention at the level they got (both of which stop production) sure as hell could.

Yeah...

And I think that making personal criticisms after the guy just had his own home flooded - and you and I and L5Larry know what that means - was a pretty low thing to do.

I dunno if HenryJ and I ever would be buddies, but I guarantee there's respect from here.

As for the Norlin era, yeah, some folks have Norlin era guitars they may still have and play. But between no dealers and "word on the street" about Gibson loss of quality brought me my now-favorite guitar, a patent infringement one. So I guess I won't personally complain even about that.

But... I think the company wouldn't be there as we know it, and certainly not "better" according to some folks who've never run a major manufacturing company, without Henry. Period.

m

I remember that flood well because I had been in Nashville the week prior. One of the photos was of the freeway (turned into river) from the exit where our time share was. Terrible thing to happen to a beautiful city.

I dunno if HenryJ and I ever would be buddies, but I guarantee there's respect from here.

m

I could TOTALLY see hanging out with Henry.

I never met the guy, and I fully understand that any vids I have seen of him are "in public". Don't really know for sure what he is actually like in everyday life with freinds,,,,

But, I think 3 different guys like you, me, and Henry could easily be having a steak together and having a great time of it.

Archived