Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V or explorer

explorer fan

Hey gibson fans out there my name is Taylor I need help with choosing my guitar that I want to buy next year I em looking at a gibson Flying V or gibson explorer

I'm interested in both. 2000-45000 for a Flying V and 1,8500 to 495000 for the explorer witch one should I get and witch one has great balance please help me decide between the two witch one do you guys play Flying V or explorer can anyone help me

post-68811-054908800 1416840361_thumb.jpg

post-68811-095786800 1416840385_thumb.jpg

Hi Taylor and welcome to the forum! I only play a LP or Strat so I can't help with your question but there are lots of people here who can. You might want to include the genre of music that you play the most and what you expect from your new instrument. The decision, of course, is yours so I suggest playing them both, as much as you can, to see which one delivers what you want. Good luck and enjoy your search!

I'm looking for my own guitar tone good destorstion tone I'm a beginner player I can play smoke on water and learning iron man right now I'm looking to spend ad least 2000 I'm interested in both guitars and thank you for the welcome I'm excited to hear what people suggest I get for my first gibson guitar I like mattalica and stuff so if anyone can help me please help me chose the best one for me thanks

Hey gibson fans out there my name is Taylor I need help with choosing my guitar that I want to buy next year I em looking at a gibson Flying V or gibson explorer

I'm interested in both. 2000-45000 for a Flying V and 1,8500 to 495000 for the explorer witch one should I get and witch one has great balance please help me decide between the two witch one do you guys play Flying V or explorer can anyone help me

For me,the V is more comfortable, it's light like an SG. The Explorer is heavier, more in the Les Paul weight range. Those two that you posted pics of have lower output pickups I think, more in line with the way they were first made in the 50's. Many V's and Explorers made in the 80's and later have high output ceramic pickups. If you want lots of distortion and a heavy sound, you might want to look at a used one. BTW, Smoke on the Water may have been recorded with a Stratocaster.

As those are among my favorite guitars of all time, it's hard to choose. The Flying V has easier access to the upper frets but it can be tricky to sit with if you don't know how. The Explorer is incredibly comfortable to sit with and has great balance when standing up. They both sound awesome, they both look awesome, they both are awesome, they both make you look awesome. My personal favorite is the Explorer, but I also adore the Flying V. Hope my answer was of any use to you.

I'd say the explorer because the v is quite awkward and if you're sitting while playing it slides off your legs.

I'd say the explorer because the v is quite awkward and if you're sitting while playing it slides off your legs.

Iat this point in choosing the guitar for me is really frustrating I em told not to spend a 1000 dollars on my dream guitar people they say spend under 400 on a guitar I don't know what to do now I just don't know what to do at this point what should I do spend under 1000 or go with my choice I don't think I want get new guitar at all what should I do any advise for me

My Government Series II Explorer appearing in my avatar is an adequate substitute for an exceptional archtop jazz guitar as well as one of my best metal guitars. However, considering what sounds I usually need from acoustic to extreme high gain settings, I rate most of my Telecasters, Les Pauls, Stratocasters, SGs and L6Ses higher.

When about weight, my GS II Explorer is 3.6 kilograms or 7lbs 15oz which is rather light for the model I think.

Iat this point in choosing the guitar for me is really frustrating I em told not to spend a 1000 dollars on my dream guitar people they say spend under 400 on a guitar I don't know what to do now I just don't know what to do at this point what should I do spend under 1000 or go with my choice I don't think I want get new guitar at all what should I do any advise for me

A $400 guitar is probably an import. Go with your dream, buy a Gibson. They can be found in the $1000 range.

Archived