Gibson Brands Forums

AC/DC - Rock or Bust with Stevie

Rabs

Yup... Still sounds like AC/DC..

Just don't look right without Malc grooving away.... Oh well.. Better than NO AC/DC I think :) ( I assume that's not Phil on drums, you don't really get a close enough shot)

That's not Phil. I think they are fed up with him. I think I read he was being difficult in the studio.

Yeah I read about that too...

This could really be the last AC/DC album and tour for all we know [crying]

I cant wait to get this... Black Ice was awesome sad its the last real AC/DC CD. They have been such a great band for so long. I still give every pickup install the Angus Bangus. If it dont sound good on You Shook Me All Night Long and Hells Bells. It aint a good pickup. I almost bought the Angus Young pickup.

Angus really is a living legend at this point!

No question about it...

Really looking forward to this album. It's a shame about Malcolm. Saw an interview with Brian and Angus, they said it was Malcolm who wanted them to still continue without him.

Remember seeing them back in '91 at Wembley, just before i turned 17. When they did Money talks, and the AC/DC money floated down, it was just out of reach, anyway after the show one of the stewards came up to me and gave me some AC/DC money. Happy days :)

I like this new stuff.

Not sure how much of this is Malcolm or Stevie, or what and who played what.

Having said that, I CAN see a case where even though there ain't a REAL replacement for Malcolm, and can not really be the same- I think Stevie can have some stuff to offer.

I like this new stuff.

Not sure how much of this is Malcolm or Stevie, or what and who played what.

Having said that, I CAN see a case where even though there ain't a REAL replacement for Malcolm, and can not really be the same- I think Stevie can have some stuff to offer.

I think its all Stevie... From what I remember reading Malc got ill just before they were due to go into the studio thus sparking rumors of a split...

And for me its ok... But then for me really AC/DC weren't really AC/DC after Bon.. Back in Black was (is) awesome... But I feel after that all of their albums are pretty much the same.. One or two really great riffs and the rest is just exactly what you expect.. I have no issue with Brian as such, hes done a great job... But he aint no Bon..

I think its all Stevie... From what I remember reading Malc got ill just before they were due to go into the studio thus sparking rumors of a split...

And for me its ok... But then for me really AC/DC weren't really AC/DC after Bon.. Back in Black was (is) awesome... But I feel after that all of their albums are pretty much the same.. One or two really great riffs and the rest is just exactly what you expect.. I have no issue with Brian as such, hes done a great job... But he aint no Bon..

Definitely a BIG difference between Bon and Brian- Bon had that certain type of humor going on, a certain "zing" to his lyrics, punchlines and such.

Brian, while he ain't the same guy with different humor, still he has a humor of his own. And I might even say is a harder rocker than Bon was.

One thing they both share, is that the BAND behind them was able to do the same thing with either of them. Brian did that for them, in that they didn't really HAVE to change to accommodate him.

BUT- things move on. And what the band was with Bon, they were all younger. Some of what they lost at the same time as Bon might have been what they might have lost anyway. I think I mean innocence.

However, thanks for the info. Makes a little more sense as to what I THINK I hear on this. That is that the rhythm guitar that was Malcolm's spot sounds a little dumbed down or reserved. But overall, I hear some differences I think I like in the overall band.

Angus really is a living legend at this point!

No question about it...

I think we can all add Malcolm to that.

ACDC really is a household universally loved deal all these years later, and have been around so long...

And I think many in the world who know who they are have become hip to the fact that Malcolm is the one MOST responsible for that awesome, heavy riffage that makes AC/DC.

I think we can all add Malcolm to that.

ACDC really is a household universally loved deal all these years later, and have been around so long...

Haha..yes but it wasn't always so..

I got into AC/DC around when Thunderstuck was released.. And that's one of the songs (and Sweet Child O Mine and Stairway) that actually got me in to rock and playing a guitar (I was like 15)... So I was always into them at that point and not long after discovering the Bon era... And through the late 80s and 90s I grew my hair and wore AC/DC and Metallica t-shirts and was often referred to as Bevis or Butthead and AC/DC wasn't regarded as cool... I never cared though.. They are the very definition of rock :)

This is my old leather jacket (which I still have) and I wore it proudly :)

DSC01413.jpg

as a rhythm guy, i always dug malcom a little more than angus. i have seen many times, angus say that malcom is better than he is. however, i have never seen any evidence of this. for his guitar work, almost anyone could replace malcom. hell, I could replace malcom right now. i know enough of their catalog, and not a single part of the rhythm work is anything beyond the abilities of an intermediate player with really good timing. malcom's most significant contribution to ac/dc was the writing, and the leadership, drive, and a small bit of the lyrics. don't take me wrong - i ain't knockin' him at all. ac/dc is one of my fav bands. i'm just saying that having stevie there to do malcom's part is no big trick. many of the people on this forum could step right in and do it with a minimum of prep.

with really good timing.

That's the trick, isn't it?

I kinda disagree. I think the "average" guitarist can figure Angus' lead work and be able to do THAT spot before they become as good a guitarist to have timing as good as Malcolm.

Timing is overlooked, as well as all the things you listed as Malcolm's strengths. From my experience, ALL the things you listed are things that guitarist don't learn until they are WELL advanced.

By then, the "average" guitarist has reached a level that they realize most anybody can play most anything. You could step in as Ozzy's guitarist and STILL realize you ain't no Malcolm.

The story from way back (possibly from George Young) was that Malcolm was the better lead guitarist but liked to sit back on rhythm so he could enjoy his drinking (which Angus doesn't do). Malcolm Young was the guy more than any other that got me interested in guitar based rock as a kid. Stevie is doing a fine job from what I've heard here. Stevie filled in for Malcolm in the 80's when he was taking a break for 6 months to battle alcoholism and apparently no one seemed to notice.

Archived