Gibson Brands Forums

Another Noob Wants To Show Off His First Gibson

pickleweedpete

Hello everyone! I'm thrilled to join your forum and announce the purchase of my new Gibson guitar, but first a word or two about myself: I'm a 63 year old man and the gittar was a gift to myself to celebrate my recent retirement from the University of Utah's Marriott Library. Now I can't play worth a dang, but I've loved the sound and look of stringed instruments (particularly guitars) ever since I was a kid. I can remember very clearly walking past a little music store on my way to school in the early 60's and admiring them hanging on the walls inside.

My Gibson is a slightly used Super Jumbo 100 with mahogany sides and back made two years ago in 2012. Of course that was very shortly before the introduction of the new 1941 SJ100, but the pickguard and bridge on this jumbo look very different from the ones on those as you will see in the pictures. I'm still waiting for its arrival, but I was told that its tone is somewhere between a SJ200 and a Hummingbird. I have no doubt that will mean a lot more to you guys than it does to me, but whatever it sounds like I am going to be a very happy guy if it has the kind of depth and punch that I've been led to expect.

I paid about the same for this guitar as a brand new SJ100 and even a pretty nice used SJ200. That's a boodle of money for me, too, but I'm not a big fan of the mustache bridges always found on other jumbos and I just love the simplicity and plainness of it. Plus I really wanted a sunburst! Don't hesitate to tell me so however if you think I gave too much for it. I will not take offense. I was also very interested in a like new SJ100 with bubinga back and sides on ebay, but I dallied around and lost out on that one. Finally I was very tempted by a 1974 Mossman dreadnaught made in Winfield Kansas, and if you're a flatpicker or just a bluegrass fan you will know why. But I've had my heart set on a jumbo size and shape gittar for a long time and I stuck to my guns.

Well, that's about it. Please let me hear from you. Your thoughts, views, opinions and especially insights are all very welcome. Thank you!

post-68761-049153400 1416852292_thumb.jpg

post-68761-094066300 1416852350_thumb.jpg

post-68761-072053200 1416852395_thumb.jpg

post-68761-060798700 1416852412_thumb.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to have a kid join us here.

To me the deciding factor of a guitar is whether it's what you want, or as close as you can get.

As for skills and/or talent, some of us are pretty decent pickers, others just keep workin' at it.

But the guitar is a marvelous creature and a truly personal instrument that can do just about anything in music one might wish.

m

Congratulations on your new guitar. A beauty for sure and worth every penny, judging by your own words of praise.

Just be careful around these parts! Next thing you know you'll be swapping out pins, saddle, nut and tuners and trying 17 different sets of strings!

And don't forget to properly humidify! There are at least 457 threads to help you out with that. Or to confuse you, if you read like I do.

Seriously, though, congrats! And enjoy!

(You're already several steps ahead of most of us. You've mastered adding photos!)

Pete...

Well, heck, you're younger than I am by enough years I could have been your teacher in Middle School... <grin> Well, assuming I'd finished a degree instead of taking up writing for what passes on occasion as a living...

m

That body-shape combined with hog back'n'sides and year of birth is bound to be a direct, but fairly rare hit.

Easy to understand if your are trembling with waiting-fever.

The simplicity and burst goes together like log and fire. Picture it slightly mojoed, bindings bent toward the glowing orangebrowns - wow.

Send us a tape, pickleweedpete. . .

Congrats, 'Pete, on both the retirement, and the J-100. That super jumbo body/scale length propagates a nice clean bass note, and is an interesting guitar when combined with the warmth of mahogany. Just a nicely balanced sound. You'll have fun trying different types of strings to dial the tone to your liking.

(side note: Servant of God; was the J-100 you a/b'ed your new J-150 against a mahogany model? Was curious- Gibson has made these available made from different woods (back/sides) through the years, didn't know if they were still doing that)

Well, Pete, as you start this second part of your life, here's to wishing you plenty of time to enjoy getting acquainted with your new Gibson. Post some pics when it's home safe & sound.

(edit: ooh, sorry, Emin7, harmonic convergence field we just went through)

No, I haven't slept very well the last few nights! Picture it... what was that? Oh yeah, "slightly mojoed, bindings bent toward the golden browns". Woohoo! I do, I do! I like to get slightly mojoed too, by the way. Man, I can't wait. I've got to get my callouses back though. I haven't played since I sold my old Guild D-35 (I think it was) back in the early 80's. P.S. My god, milod, you're even older than me? [biggrin]

Woohoo! I do, I do! I like to get slightly mojoed too, by the way. Man, I can't wait. I've got to get my callouses back though.

Something tells me this aquarium is the exactly right place for you, Newbie. . .

May you and that SJ-100 be one before X-mas. .

PWP, that is a beautiful guitar. Understated, Elegant. It represents the things about Gibson - and acoustics - that mean the most to those who love music. Mahogany, slope shoulders, big body - it doesn't matter if you got a good deal or not. You got a good guitar. You earned the $ to buy it, now earn its respect and play it a little better every day. Keep it within arms reach, listen to different types of music to program your brain. Read stuff here to learn more, but don't worry about needing another guitar, the penultimate strins or keeping the humidity at exactly 45%. It's a tool, and instrument and a work of art - now you're retired and you can start really living. Doing what you want for the first time in your life.

Welcome and G'luck ! Jim

Pete...

Heck, we've got a local paleontologist who found the wallet I lost in high school while excavating inside the rib cage of a triceratops.

Naaah. That's mostly a joke.

But... were you to check on my full name, you'd actually discover that I was born July 15, 1842, in Washington, Vt., and enlisted in the 112th Illinois Aug. 28, 1862, in Henry County, Ill.

<grin>

I love staying in persona doing the living history thing - especially since the above stuff is well documented. My final wartime diary is even a coupla places on the web, so you can read how we heard of Lincoln's death...

Yup. I'm old. But then again, too soon oldt, too late schmardt.

m

Thanks Bobouz! Milod, I've got a joke too but I don't know what the rules are on this forum and I don't want to get banned on my very first day. Oh, what the heck.

A seventy year old man walked into a crowded doctor's office and approached the receptionist's desk. The woman there said, "Yes sir, what are you seeing the doctor for today?"

"Well, there's something wrong with my penis," the man replied in a low voice.

The receptionist flushed and said, "You shouldn't come into a crowded office and say things like that!"

Surprised, the man asked, "But why not? You asked me what was wrong and I told you."

The receptionist replied, "Well, you've obviously embarrassed some of the people in this room. You should have said there is something wrong with your ear or something and then discussed the problem further with the doctor in private."

The man walked out, waited several minutes and then reentered. The receptionist smiled at him smugly and asked, "Yes?"

"There's something wrong with my ear," the man stated.

The woman nodded approvingly and said, "And what is wrong with your ear, Sir?"

Replied the man, "I can't piss out of it."

#-o[glare]

Archived