Gibson Brands Forums

1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio Questions

Dick Thunder

I recently acquired a 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio in Wine Red w/Gold Hardware.

Serial# 93382420. I looked up the serial and found it was made in Nashville 12/4/92

I am wondering about the pickups as the bottom of the bridge pup is engraved "Gibson USA"

The bottom of the neck pup is blank, no anything at all. So what pickups do I have here?

This guitar is every bit of 11 lbs, so is it weight-relieved? Solid?

Nice thick neck. Ebony fretboard. Near zero fret wear. Truss rod intact and functional.

It had no setup on it at all. The bridge saddles were in a straight line.

It was covered in dust and god knows what else, and it took an evening to just get it clean-ish.

Had rusty yrs old strings. Has a fair amount of dings and nicks and swirling.

I did a rough setup with a fresh set of strings, and roughed-in the intonation.

This guitar wails! Bridge pup screams. I havent measured the output yet, but it's hot.

So what is the general consensus here about these Studio's from this era? good? bad?

What pickups does this guitar have? Should I hang on to this guitar?

I have already had a few offers on this guitar and I haven't even finished setting it up.

post-68785-087482700 1416863619_thumb.jpg

post-68785-066103300 1416863651_thumb.jpg

post-68785-006941600 1416863665_thumb.jpg

post-68785-091812200 1416863689_thumb.jpg

post-68785-048277900 1416863707_thumb.jpg

post-68785-024317200 1416863721_thumb.jpg

post-68785-078584100 1416863830_thumb.jpg

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1416863902[/url]' post='1594320']

I recently acquired a 1992 Gibson Les Paul Studio in Wine Red w/Gold Hardware.

Serial# 93382420. I looked up the serial and found it was made in Nashville 12/4/92

I am wondering about the pickups as the bottom of the bridge pup is engraved "Gibson USA"

The bottom of the neck pup is blank, no anything at all. So what pickups do I have here?

This guitar is every bit of 11 lbs, so is it weight-relieved? Solid?

Nice thick neck. Ebony fretboard. Near zero fret wear. Truss rod intact and functional.

It had no setup on it at all. The bridge saddles were in a straight line.

It was covered in dust and god knows what else, and it took an evening to just get it clean-ish.

Had rusty yrs old strings. Has a fair amount of dings and nicks and swirling.

I did a rough setup with a fresh set of strings, and roughed-in the intonation.

This guitar wails! Bridge pup screams. I havent measured the output yet, but it's hot.

So what is the general consensus here about these Studio's from this era? good? bad?

What pickups does this guitar have? Should I hang on to this guitar?

I have already had a few offers on this guitar and I haven't even finished setting it up.

I had a black one of that year...got rid of it...regretted it every since..I'd say good if I used mine as the standard

90's 498T pickups were made really hot - I have a '98 studio in Ruby Red ( my profile pic) and the 498t measures almost 14k. Mine's a little newer but from the same era, no markings on the pickups, almost identical wiring harness. Mine is about 10lbs but they were weight relieved since the mid-late eighties with the swiss cheese holes so yours has a small amount of weight relief same as mine. I keep saying it is the best guitar I have ever played, it sounds amazing - much better than any Gibson I have ever owned. I don't know the general consensus on the era, but I love my 98 studio

Guest Farnsbarns

It's only possible to answer 2 of your questions and I cant tell you what the pups are. I can tell you it's weight relieved.

With regards to good/bad, there would have been some bricks made like every year but apart from that it's all subjective.

Guest Farnsbarns

Cool find! Thanks for taking the time to share all the pics!

Looks like a keeper...anything pre-2000's would be worth holding on to.

imagine the market on her 10 years from now msp_thumbup.gif

It's a shame but in 10 years it will still just be a used LP studio like any other. The upside is that gibson raise prices so fast that half the price for a new one (average used price) will be, on most models, the same as the original, new retail price in just a matter of a few years. Buying used because it will soon be vintage doesn't work though. The numbers that were churned out are huge. It would be like buying a "vintage" ink jet printer. Forget about it.

The numbers that were churned out are huge. It would be like buying a "vintage" ink jet printer. Forget about it.

Well, if that's the case, then it's one hell of an almost "vintage" ink jet printer.

So I take that there's a degree of model snobbery here.

I acquired this guitar in a trade that consisted of a 93 Jap Strat, which I got as payment for recording work.

and $50 to add to my wallet. So I'm not exactly concerned about it being a "lowly Studio model"

It plays better than at least half the newer Les Paul anythings I have tried of late.

I guess it's ironic that, in the 4 days it's been in my possession, I have received offers of other Les Pauls.

Both new and vintage, and in various "high end" models. Not to mention some very tempting cash offers.

I'm not looking to get rid of it, nor did I think I was "scoring" some future vintage re-sell guitar.

Just wanted to clear that up.

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, if that's the case, then it's one hell of an almost "vintage" ink jet printer.

I acquired this guitar in a trade that consisted of a 93 Jap Strat, which I got as payment for recording work.

and $50 to add to my wallet. So I'm not exactly concerned about it being a "lowly Studio model"

It plays better than at least half the newer Les Paul anythings I have tried of late.

I guess it's ironic that, in the 4 days it's been in my possession, I have received offers of other Les Pauls.

Both new and vintage, and in various "high end" models. Not to mention some very tempting cash offers.

I'm not looking to get rid of it, nor did I think I was "scoring" some future vintage re-sell guitar.

Calm down dear :D . I wasn't belittling your lovely Les Paul in any way. Just responding to the notion that it's going to become a collectible that grayzgrey posted, well, implied. Under different circumstances I could have said "it will just be another used 59 reissue" without hesitation. Whether or not it will become of interest to a collector was the only point in question, not it's standing, quality, tone, or the size of its nut.

I have 6 guitars with an average value of £450. I have no issue with "low end" at all. Your guitar is almost certainly great and if it's a player too then you're a lucky man.

Do I detect perhaps the slightest hint of defensiveness? [sneaky] ;)

There are a lot of members on this forum, myself included that love playing studio models and prefer not to spend more on cosmetic features such as binding and fancy tops. I bought my beloved studio for a very reasonable price and honestly wouldn't sell it for twice what I payed. These are great guitars in their own right even if they don't have all of the visual bells and whistles a studio can easily sound as good or better than a higher model - mine even has a one piece back. Binding doesn't make your guitar sound any better ;)

There are a lot of members on this forum, myself included that love playing studio models and prefer not to spend more on cosmetic features such as binding and fancy tops. I bought my beloved studio for a very reasonable price and honestly wouldn't sell it for twice what I payed. These are great guitars in their own right even if they don't have all of the visual bells and whistles a studio can easily sound as good or better than a higher model - mine even has a one piece back. Binding doesn't make your guitar sound any better ;)

To be fair to new players and people just starting out with guitars, your guitar, amp, the crowd, and the record all have no idea how many pieces the back is, and it doesn't make your guitar sound any better.

rct

Calm down dear.

Do I detect perhaps the slightest hint of defensiveness?

Calm down dear? I am completely calm dear

Well yes, if you are thinking I can't tell the value between a guitar and an old inkjet printer.

I am only seeking information on this guitar. I don't care how many guitars you have, nor their average value.

I am trying to decide if I want to hold on to this guitar or not. I assume nothing.

I do however, speak my mind almost to the point of a turrets-like condition.

I see you are British. I can't stand mouthy Brits. Go away. See a dentist. Have some tea. Suck a crumpet.

1416964460[/url]' post='1594871']

Calm down dear? I am completely calm dear

Well yes, if you are thinking I can't tell the value between a guitar and an old inkjet printer.

I am only seeking information on this guitar. I don't care how many guitars you have, nor their average value.

I am trying to decide if I want to hold on to this guitar or not. I assume nothing.

I do however, speak my mind almost to the point of a turrets-like condition.

I see you are British. I can't stand mouthy Brits. Go away. See a dentist. Have some tea. Suck a crumpet.

ROTFLMAO

Fukk off redneck jitbag, go see yer meth dealer, get back in yer trailer and shut the fukk up. You want to ask questions, be ready for all kinds of answers from all over the world, d1ckweed.

rct

Where's the popcorn when you need it?.....

As we all know a good Les Paul Studio is simply a good Les Paul.

As 665 mentioned a good Studio can sound as good as a model higher up the price slope - after all they shared the same hardware and fitments as the Les Paul Custom for a long time so there's no reason to doubt their tonal possibilities. Some, as we know, even had ebony 'boards.

But Farns is also right in that it will always be 'just' an early '90s Les Paul Studio and, as such, the market for her in 10 years time will hardly be different from what it is today. I would say that the ebony 'board on the LP mentioned here will make it slightly more attractive, perhaps, than the later versions.

Personally I'd LOVE Grayzgray's implied prediction to come true - I've four LPs all made between 1991 and 1995 - but it's almost certain that if I were to put them up for sale they'd 'just' be yet another 4 second-hand LPs on the marketplace. I don't have a problem with that.

And D!ck Thunder;

You should re-read the posts. No-one in this thread has 'talked-down' the Studio. Your use of quotation marks referring to your "lowly Studio model" was completely inappropriate here as you were not quoting what anyone in this thread has written.

P.

I think if there is going to be a fight, the one with the most LP's wins.

Then again, I feel maybe entitled to be upset you all, ya'll have more than I do. I should protest. I don't think it's fair.

Back to reality, I think one thing about "collectability" or "desirability" for a lot of the inexpensive models IS the fact they are inexpensive. Who DOESN'T want an LP that only cost 650?

Sometimes, these that can be had on the cheap get so popular, they get hard to find for sale, and some take this to mean the value is greater. But prices will always be limited by the fact that the more expensive models will still always be, well, more expensive. They aren't ever going to get to the value of a Standard or Traditional or reissue.

What we are REALLY talking about here, and what makes these so "cool", is that it is a genuine LP in every way that matters. Sound. Feel. Everything except looks or cost. Anyone who remembers these remembers them fondly.

Fukk off redneck jitbag, go see yer meth dealer, get back in yer trailer and shut the fukk up. You want to ask questions, be ready for all kinds of answers from all over the world, d1ckweed.

rct

Hold up there a minute, Jersey friend.

I moved here from Seattle to be close to Nashville, where I work in the music industry.

So I'm not your meth doin', shine drinkin' redneck. I also do not live in a trailer.

I don't even know what a "jitbag" is.

Again I came here to get info, not to make friends or enemies.

I am a grown man and don't appreciate being condescended to like a child.

Thank you all for the information.

I'll get back to life now.

Again I came here to get info, not to make friends or enemies.

A really good bunch of people, including Farnsbarns and his head injury, were giving you info. There was never a requirement to be freinds or enemies, the information here is always given freely.

If you want information, you might want to consider how you respond to people that are giving you information.

rct

A really good bunch of people, including Farnsbarns and his head injury, were giving you info. There was never a requirement to be freinds or enemies, the information here is always given freely.

If you want information, you might want to consider how you respond to people that are giving you information.

rct

Friends call him Farns. Or FB. Or just Farnsbarns.

Everyone else, its MR. Farnsbarns.

Why? Reckon because he earned it.

Friends call him Farns. Or FB. Or just Farnsbarns.

Everyone else, its MR. Farnsbarns.

Why? Reckon because he earned it.

Oh my God, I don't know who Farns, Barns, FB, HR Puffenstuff are.

I don't know anyone in this community of personalities, faceless and otherwise.

Yes, I'm keenly aware of the ugliness of the internet and it's inherent trolls and mixers.

I don't know who has what problems, head injuries, pulled groins, ascended testicles, ect.

Again, my question and the relativity of the Brit's response were disproportionate.

I have no desire to continue this now bizarre thread. Thanks for the coherent answers.

I spend more time playing than I do posting in forums, so I am truly sorry to have offended anybody.

I'm not rattled, nor should anyone else be.

Happy Holidays

Oh my God, I don't know who Farns, Barns, FB, HR Puffenstuff are.

I don't know anyone in this community of personalities, faceless and otherwise.

Yes, I'm keenly aware of the ugliness of the internet and it's inherent trolls and mixers.

I don't know who has what problems, head injuries, pulled groins, ascended testicles, ect.

Again, my question and the relativity of the Brit's response were disproportionate.

I have no desire to continue this now bizarre thread. Thanks for the coherent answers.

I spend more time playing than I do posting in forums, so I am truly sorry to have offended anybody.

I'm not rattled, nor should anyone else be.

Happy Holidays

You appear to be completely lacking in the requisite social skills which are an essential part of interaction with people on an internet forum.

You are, therefore, probably better-off without us complicating your life and will undoubtedly fare better by staying away.

P.

You appear to be completely lacking in the requisite social skills which are an essential part of interaction with people on an internet forum.

You are, therefore, probably better-off without us complicating your life and will undoubtedly fare better by staying away.

P.

I am assuming you must be the spokes-person for this group.

Judging by the number of posts you have, you must have little time to play guitar.

Thank you for your social psycho-analysis.

You have certainly schooled me.

Thank you for your suggestion.

What an informative, warm group you have here, Pippy.

I am amused.

I am assuming you must be the spokes-person for this group.

Judging by the number of posts you have, you must have little time to play guitar.

Thank you for your social psycho-analysis.

You have certainly schooled me.

Thank you for your suggestion.

What an informative, warm group you have here, Pippy.

I am amused.

No.

No.

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

You're welcome.

It's not mine.

I'm pleased for you, D!ck.

P.