Gibson Brands Forums

Has Gibson ever made a guitar with these specs..?

Andy060

Hi,

I've collected way too many guitars and am now running out of room (I'm sure a few people here have the same problem...!) and was looking at trying to find a guitar that covers all the things I want rather than keep buying ones that are 90% there

So the question is, has Gibson ever made a guitar with all of these features -

No weight relief

Ebony fretboard

50's style rounded neck

2 x humbuckers

2 x volume and tone

I've seen some of the earlier LP deluxe guitars which are pretty close, but I'm really chasing a guitar with full size humbuckers

Cheers for your help!

Maybe a Custom Shop Black Beauty, LP Custom. Most Customs had ebony, and weight relief didn't start until '83 or so. No 50's neck on the Customs from the 70's I bet. Get a 50's Custom, it'll have the features you want if you can afford it, if not, look at some of the recent Custom Shop ones.

Hey Chris,

Cheers for the post - unfortunately I don't think I can afford any of the 50's customs...!

My other option that I've considered is going to Schecter or somewhere similar and getting a custom one built...

EDIT - I may have posted this reply on no sleep and not realised you meant the 50's custom RI's...!

Cheers mate, I've found a couple of 57 RI's from the early 2000's that fit..!

Out of curiosity, why is it that only the 57 RI's seem to have ebony fingerboards? I'm assuming that perhaps they came standard with them that year, as I haven't seen any other years that feature them?

The early 90's standards seem to have them, but it's pretty hard to work out which are weight relieved...

Hello Andy!

All Les Paul Customs supposed to have ebony fretboards.

During the late 70s it also came with natural maple - just like a Tele.

Then, after 2011 due to Gibson`s issue with buying raw materials, they switched to Richlite composite. Even, some Customs came with rosewood fingerboard.

Standards were always made with rosewood fingerboard, however in 2012 some of them were fitted with a laminated (bi-layer) one.

Best wishes... Bence

Hello again!

Every Les Paul made since 1983 is weight-relieved (Officially called "Traditional weight-relief" - nine, - inch-wide - hole drilled into the bass side of the lower bout). Later, from 2005 the Standard and the Studio became chambered. The Les Paul Traditional is completely solid since 2013.

Except for the Historics. They are almost always solid - if not stated otherwise. A very few of them are chambered.

Cheers... Bence

Hi Bence,

Cheers for the additional info!

Looks like an RI is the best bet, do you know if the 57 comes in a burst finish or was that introduced in 58?

All the ones I've seen so far are either gold top or black beauty, which look cool but I'm a huge fan of the burst's..!

Hi Bence,

Cheers for the additional info!

Looks like an RI is the best bet, do you know if the 57 comes in a burst finish or was that introduced in 58?

All the ones I've seen so far are either gold top or black beauty, which look cool but I'm a huge fan of the burst's..!

Bursts started in 58 but they are not Customs. I thought you were more into black with double-bound bodies and ebony boards. You will have to get three now; black, gold, and a burst.

Hey Chris,

Cheers for the post - unfortunately I don't think I can afford any of the 50's customs...!

My other option that I've considered is going to Schecter or somewhere similar and getting a custom one built...

EDIT - I may have posted this reply on no sleep and not realised you meant the 50's custom RI's...!

I actually mentioned both as a joke, the ones from the 50's are nice but I would be afraid to leave the house with one, afraid something might happen to it. Custom Shop is definitely the way to go if you can afford it.

Bursts started in 58 but they are not Customs. I thought you were more into black with double-bound bodies and ebony boards. You will have to get three now; black, gold, and a burst.

Haha, if only I had enough room, money and a more tolerant missus!

Im thinking a black beauty RI is the go, there seems to be a few around and they're pretty reasonably priced considering

Cheers for the help!

Archived