Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone 50th Ann. "1962" Crestwood Custom Black Friday sale

truetone6

I have been gassing for one of these since they were announced.[drool]

Then they did not arrive for a while and GC did not carry them.:angry:

Then the 50th Anniversary Sheratons came out and I snagged one.[love]

Then these became common place.[sneaky]

I was going to wait until Friday and get one with 15% off and float it for 18 months.[wink]

Low and behold, the dropped to $299 yesterday (Sunday?)[thumbup]

With 18 months same as cash with no interest, that comes out to $17.77 a month.[lol]

Photos when I get it.

great choice! [thumbup]

These were the Epiphone version of the Gibson SG of the 60's so whilst its great that they do a range of affordable SG's in the Gibson shape, its also really great to see Epi also making these as well as the Wilshires in their own historical body shape too.

I hopped on the bandwagon...as though I don't have enough guitars already.

there is no such thing as "enough guitars"...lol

I saw this thing at the Braintree, MA Guitar center and gassed for it since...Well, no more gas. I used the proceeds from the sunburst LP Jr. for this...good timing ...pics to follow (4-5 "business days". )

I wonder if they come as pictured above with a more mahogany finish, or are they cherry red????

Not the mahogany color but as you said "cherry red". The one I saw hanging up at GC gave me bad gas pains...lol

I got mine. Beautiful guitar! Musician Friend even gave me an extra 20% off so it only cost $239 with free shipping. Only trouble is,when It arrived I found that the bridge pickup didn't work. It is probable some thing minor but a bummer all the same. Musicians Friend offered to send a replacement but I think I may see if I can get it fixed locally at the Epiphone Service Center in town.

008.jpg

026.jpg

017.jpg

020-002.jpg

017-1.jpg

Just ordered one from Guitar Center @ a total of $254.15 by using the 15% off promo code 'blackfriday' at checkout.

The code is good on many items, through Sunday.

Thanks OP, for bringing this special guitar to our attention!! [smile]

Has anyone played theirs yet? Just wondering about the tone of them.

This statement is from the Epiphone web site about these guitars, and wonder if this is a true fact????

"I own the very similar 2012 Epiphone Wilshire with Tremotone.

I find fault with the current "new design" of the Epihone Tremotone Vibrato tailpiece where each string has its own unique radius size roller. Unfortunately the large Tremotone Vibrato Roller for the High E renders the very shallow string break angle at the bridge.

The overall result of this design means the High E string falls right off the Bridge saddle after one strum - its an unplayable guitar thanks to the "new design" of the Epihone Tremotone Vibrato . Great guitar other than this one seriously critical issue. "

Has anyone played theirs yet? Just wondering about the tone of them.

This statement is from the Epiphone web site about these guitars, and wonder if this is a true fact????

"I own the very similar 2012 Epiphone Wilshire with Tremotone.

I find fault with the current "new design" of the Epihone Tremotone Vibrato tailpiece where each string has its own unique radius size roller. Unfortunately the large Tremotone Vibrato Roller for the High E renders the very shallow string break angle at the bridge.

The overall result of this design means the High E string falls right off the Bridge saddle after one strum - its an unplayable guitar thanks to the "new design" of the Epihone Tremotone Vibrato . Great guitar other than this one seriously critical issue. "

Good point, and I see what he means when I look at different images of it ..... but I have to wonder if the set-up might be a bit too low on that side of the guy's Wilshire, and/or the saddle for the treble E is not cut deep enough. [confused]

I've read good owner reviews about this Crestwood guitar, and this one here 'Review' cautions not to go "heavy metal dive bombing" with the vibrato .... but I think that's mostly because of tune issues.

It doesn't mention any issues similar to what the the guy had with his treble E string on his particular Wilshire.

But thanks for the post, I'll be sure to wring it out well.

If I do have any issues with it on mine, and I fall in love with it otherwise, at the price I paid .... I'll probably either make up a new roller (or just turn the treble E's grove down a bit) on my my lathe.

If it's not love at first sight ... GC has easy walk-in returns ...... [smile]

Congrats to all new/pending owners. Really looking forward to hearing about how they play and sound. I have a 1969 version with a single mini humbucker and it - like many of the old ones - has 3 small screw holes below a wrapround bridge. Not sure if it had this or the other (worse) trem system in place previously but so many of the 60's ones now have either 3 small holes in the body or 3 dots of filler where those holes used to be - the holes appear to be commonly known in the trade as "the 3 holes of tuning improvement" [biggrin]

These really are a cool alternative to an SG and such a light weight due to the slim body (assuming they are same body as the old ones).

My tip would be a wide leather strap though as they can have a small degree of the same 'long neck' balance issues as some SGs - the compensation is in unrivalled upper fret access. Enjoy!

I ended up ordering two of them @ $254.99 ea. (after the GC 15% discount off of the advertised price of $299.99).

BUT ... I'm not sure what I will actually end up getting.

The reason I say that is because by the time I ordered, they were only available from stores (and not out of the common MF/GC warehouse system).

Then .... after ordering the first one I got a call from the closest store to me that had one in stock and which it would be shipped from, with the manager saying that although GC advertised it as new, the only one he had was a demo that had seen some heavy use.

He was very negative about it's condition, and seemed a bit miffed that GC was selling it for so little, commenting that it was a guitar that costs him almost $500.

So I 'disappointedly' cancelled the order .... then later though better of it all and called GC, as they were still showing some available ... but 'only' out of their retail stores.

I got a ditzy young girl on the phone .... that thought everything I said was ...... "Awesome!!". [confused]

And although she may very be "all that", I totally know I'm just not that effin awesome!! [wink]

Anyway .... after about 20 minutes she notified me that if I ordered it through her, it would still come from that same store, so I passed.

Then 'still later' I thought about the manner in which the store manager acted, and felt that he just might be not wanting to sell the one he had a such a low price.

I'm guessing/betting that the stores might own (and have have paid for) their in-stock merchandise, or have flooring costs built into their stock whey they actually have it in their brick and motor, but when you make a special order, or order on-line it's normally filled out of a distribution warehouse when there isn't any any out of pocket invested in it yet by a given store, and that when the warehouse is bare, all stores are required to fill orders at whatever specials the "mother ship" decides upon, and in order to be part of the GC/MF franchise, the store has to honor that price.

That's all a 'semi-educated' WAG on my part to be sure, but with GC's easy return policy .... I'm willing to chance it.

So ...I reordered it with the caveat that I can personally return to to my local GC with no restocking/shipping fees if it's not as advertised.

To insure my bet, as soon as the first one was in UPS' possession, I ordered another one that's coming from what appears to be a different store.

I haven't been notified that that one has shipped yet, but I do see that no more are available at all now (stores nor warehouse) so .... well see what I end up getting.

I took my Crestwood to my local Music Store(Jim Harms My Musicstore) to see if they could diagnose the problem. Turns out It was just a loose wire.They fixed it for me for free. Glad I didn't send it back.They are all sold out now.

002-001.jpg

Below is a page from the 1962 Epiphone Catalog

epiphone62p8.jpg

Here is my Reissue and an original 1962 Crestwood Custom

fab367db-b20d-4e59-93d8-3ea8a366f158.jpg3d738198-e3bb-48ec-886e-e10eb864fc6a.jpg

c2a8676f-f920-4781-8799-c86011dab26d.png

47e514c6-77d4-456a-956d-a2be3a5760a7.jpg

ba8e8515-fed5-44be-83fe-0001b53cf163.png

ce49a04e-c655-4682-8a56-b6a09b10bfbf.png

15c14560-0ae4-415f-87f3-5b980285d7e4.png

43ae9c52-6a65-42b0-9d79-11c8817fbe6f.png

With the BF discounts they cost less than the originals did 52 years ago...and they fixed the faults of the original as well..Thank you Epiphone/MF/GC, seems to me to be a great value, as are all Epiphone guitars. The best "bang for your buck"...

Archived