Gibson Brands Forums

NUGD Non Gibson

vangoghsear

Went to the repair shop to pick up my Traynor amp after some work, and the guy knew I was asking about Telecasters he comes out with an old Fender hard shell case and opens it and inside is a gorgeous 1981 Black and Gold Telecaster. He was only asking about half what these go for, but it was still a lot of money, so I told him I'd like to think about it. I looked them up on line and read they sometimes have a nasty micro-phonic howl from the bridge pickup, but when I had played this one there was no such howl. I went back on Monday and picked it up.

It fits well in my collection. It is a limited edition, only 500-600 made. The gold plating is actual 18 carat gold, six screw brass gold plated bridge, and it has a great playing neck.

Here she is:

Black and Gold Beauty

Gold plated brass bridge

rct is right on the maker, but I would add that the only thing wrong with this bridge is that it's too expensive. Six adjustment screws, heavy nonferrous construction, and an attractive non-tarnishing finish; what's not to like?

Most things that make a Telecaster the perfect machine that it is, are of themselves very imperfect, to the point of being hateful, but without them, the machine is lessened. Microphonic pickups for one, they were fairly common and not at all confined to this Black and Gold one.

The Kahler on there was, at least around these parts, an abomination that nobody liked, and if I remember right, replacing it with a stock bridge didn't work without plugging some screw holes. But I could be wrong about that last part, I only saw and played a handful of them. They were pretty, I was young and pretty too!

A wise man, long ago in usenet once said: I use Teles because I love them, I hate Teles because I use them.

rct

Most things that make a Telecaster the perfect machine that it is, are of themselves very imperfect, to the point of being hateful, but without them, the machine is lessened. Microphonic pickups for one, they were fairly common and not at all confined to this Black and Gold one.

A wise man, long ago in usenet once said: I use Teles because I love them, I hate Teles because I use them.

rct

Love the quote. So true.

So far, mine doesn't seem to be microphonic to the point that it feeds back or thumps when you touch the body, it just clicks if you touch the pickup itself with a pick. It is heavy, over ten pounds I think. I love the look of the thing. This is my first Tele, so I can't say how it compares to others other than those I've tried at music stores, but it compares very well to those.

Skilsaw, great image!

Love the quote. So true.

Thank You, and it is very true.

So far, mine doesn't seem to be microphonic to the point that it feeds back or thumps when you touch the body, it just clicks if you touch the pickup itself with a pick.

Get some good gain and some decent volume and get about 10 feet from it. If you can play without any noise it is good, otherwise, either have it potted or replace it. I'd get a Lindy Fralin in there if'n I was faced with a microphonic Fender.

It is heavy, over ten pounds I think. I love the look of the thing. This is my first Tele, so I can't say how it compares to others other than those I've tried at music stores, but it compares very well to those.

Of course, it's a Tele! Not a lot of variance for the most part, a brick is dreadful, the rest are great.

rct

Looks good. Fender also used a Kahler (top-loading) bridge on the Strat Ultra I think....mid '80s, Robben Ford played one for a bit but they didn't last.

Then there was 'The Strat' which had the standard thru-body and lots of gold....from the same period as your Tele...very nice too!

Archived