Gibson Brands Forums

anyone have any knowledge of Epi FT570SB

lucille64

It is what it is...which is an all-laminated plywood box Japanese 70s import. I've owned a couple of the natural finish versions (FT-570 BL) They're pretty one-dimensional sound-wise and they sound the best they're ever going to the day they're made. I think the often misplaced mystique of "70s Japanese" creates an inflated value for these... and the ~$350 price point where it should reside (I've seen MUCH more asked for them) is loaded with much better playing/sounding/build and materials quality modern guitars from many other brands including Epiphone. The model is also subject and prone to separating at the heel/butt joint. The neck, while having a "heel", is a bolt-on neck and while it could be argued this facilitates an easier neck re-set it's also the reason this model often requires neck re-sets. It does look cool though and the example in the photos looks pretty clean so if you can take her cheap enough ( <$350) it's a consideration. Personally, I know in that price range I can find a "better" modern guitar. Back when I had my first FT-570 BL I also owned a 70s J-200 and neither guitar ended up being that impressive but to its credit the Epiphone's plywood top rejected feed back better than the Gibson and thus made a better "live" acoustic at a time when amplifying acoustics was in its infancy (pretty much a choice between a Barcus Berry transducer or a Dearmond magnetic soundhole pick up)...as I said, it is what it is..

It is what it is...which is an all-laminated plywood box Japanese 70s import. I've owned a couple of the natural finish versions (FT-570 BL) They're pretty one-dimensional sound-wise and they sound the best they're ever going to the day they're made. I think the often misplaced mystique of "70s Japanese" creates an inflated value for these... and the ~$350 price point where it should reside (I've seen MUCH more asked for them) is loaded with much better playing/sounding/build and materials quality modern guitars from many other brands including Epiphone. The model is also subject and prone to separating at the heel/butt joint. The neck, while having a "heel", is a bolt-on neck and while it could be argued this facilitates an easier neck re-set it's also the reason this model often requires neck re-sets. It does look cool though and the example in the photos looks pretty clean so if you can take her cheap enough ( <$350) it's a consideration. Personally, I know in that price range I can find a "better" modern guitar. Back when I had my first FT-570 BL I also owned a 70s J-200 and neither guitar ended up being that impressive but to its credit the Epiphone's plywood top rejected feed back better than the Gibson and thus made a better "live" acoustic at a time when amplifying acoustics was in its infancy (pretty much a choice between a Barcus Berry transducer or a Dearmond magnetic soundhole pick up)...as I said, it is what it is..

Well Gralst I think that is a pretty complete picture of what it's all about. Thank you.

Archived