Gibson Brands Forums

Random D string buzzing following new strings?....

Plus Top Dan

Hi All,

First let me say that I have my LP set up to play with a semi low action with no buzzing anywhere. Over the weekend I put some new strings on and all of a sudden, the D string is buzzing like made when it is played open (not fretted) [confused] All other strings are as normal and the D string is fine once it is fretted.

The strings are the same brand and same gauge as normal. There is no reason I can think of that would explain this sudden random buzzing. At first I thought I may have somehow adjusted the bridge height on the bass side by accident but surely that would result in at the low E and A strings buzzing as well? :-k

I'm going to try it with a new D string under the assumption that I might have a dodgy string, but it seems a bit odd to me. Anyone else been a victim of a sudden unexplained buzzing on an otherwise perfectly set up guitar? Is there any other reason for this happening that I'm not thinking about?

A few random reasons this can happen, that actually DO happen:

1) string got somehow "bent" or a kink.

2) fret came a little loose, needs to be tapped back in

3) Nut slot got grooved in a little too deep. wore down a little.

4) truss rod changed adjustment, affecting action.

3 and 4 could easily be caused or made worse by a change of string gauge, or the same string gauge by a different brand that has different tension.

Lastly, it could have been questionable the whole time, just now noticing.

Thanks Stein, out of those options the only ones that I think are possible are either #1 or #4. The truss rod hasn't been touched, and if it had wouldn't that affect all the strings rather than just the D string?

It's a recent thing whatever it is. Up until this strange point, the guitar has played like a dream without any buzzing of any description - and I'm pretty fussy when it comes to unwanted buzzes! Hopefully it's just a dud string. It would be a pain if it's a change to the nut slot!

Thanks Stein, out of those options the only ones that I think are possible are either #1 or #4. The truss rod hasn't been touched, and if it had wouldn't that affect all the strings rather than just the D string?

It's a recent thing whatever it is. Up until this strange point, the guitar has played like a dream without any buzzing of any description - and I'm pretty fussy when it comes to unwanted buzzes! Hopefully it's just a dud string. It would be a pain if it's a change to the nut slot!

Depending on how fat or thin the neck is, you don't have to touch the adjustment to have the truss rod change a little. Just the act of taking the strings off and putting them on again is enough SOMETIMES. Or wheather. Humidity.

It truly isn't something to worry about, and 99 times out of 100 IF it were to change a little chances are pretty good it will end up right back without any adjustment or even being noticed.

I'm just typing out my azz a little here. If it's just the one string, likely not the truss rod adjustment. But what you want to do here (obviously) is check to see the height of that string compared to the others. Should be pretty easy since it is only having a problem at the first fret.

I'm going to try it with a new D string under the assumption that I might have a dodgy string,...

You're on the right track here, this is most likely your problem, AND you will find out for under a buck.

As for the bridge height to have gotten moved during your restringing, this is not only very easy to have happen, but very likely to happen, if you take all the strings off at one time. Normal string changes should always be done one at a time to maintain bridge and saddle setup and neck tension.

Thanks guys,

Stein, I think you're right, hopefully just a wee issue that will be fixed and back to normal with a decent new one. Larry, I never take all the strings off at the same time, I know some people say it doesn't make a difference but surely the sudden changes of tension can't be good (long term) for the neck etc....

I'll report back when I've experimented with the new string............

Strings have tolerances, in particular wound ones. Sometimes it happens that one calls for a different intonation adjustment or tends to buzz, open or fretted. At the moment I have a D4th on an Ibanez guitar requiring a compromised adjustment below scale length, and the bridge luckily allows for that like the 70's long-travel Schaller Tune-O-Matics do.

Strings also are sensitive to stringing methods. It is best to avoid any twist as this probably will invite trouble. Unwanted toroidal vibration modes may cause buzz as well as intonation problems.

Archived