Gibson Brands Forums

Jackson Browne is still "takin' it easy"

Lefty Guy

He did a solo acoustic set.

I saw the "solo" show last summer, and enjoyed it very much.

The first time I saw him was in 1974 (an unknown named Bonnie Raitt opened the show). I was at the show where a couple of the songs on "Running On Empty" were recorded, and have seen him a couple of times since. Always puts on a great show.

There's a book out about the musicians of Laurel Canyon (LA, California area), which talks about the woes Jackson had in getting his own record deal. He was right there in the middle of the LA music scene in the late 60's with everyone else who were becoming mega-stars, and even having his songs recorded by them (how big a hit was "Take It Easy" for the Eagles), yet he was one of the last of that group to get his own solo record contract.

And, as they say.... the rest is history.

I saw the "solo" show last summer, and enjoyed it very much.

The first time I saw him was in 1974 (an unknown named Bonnie Raitt opened the show). I was at the show where a couple of the songs on "Running On Empty" were recorded, and have seen him a couple of times since. Always puts on a great show.

There's a book out about the musicians of Laurel Canyon (LA, California area), which talks about the woes Jackson had in getting his own record deal. He was right there in the middle of the LA music scene in the late 60's with everyone else who were becoming mega-stars, and even having his songs recorded by them (how big a hit was "Take It Easy" for the Eagles), yet he was one of the last of that group to get his own solo record contract.

And, as they say.... the rest is history.

Sounds interesting, have you the name of the book Larry?

I've read several books concerning the Laurel Canyon music scene, including Michael Walker's Laurel Canyon: The Inside Story of Rock and Roll's Legendary Neighborhood and Barney Hoskins' Hotel California and Waiting for the Sun. Now I see a Harvey Kubernik book called Canyon of Dreams: The Magic and the Music of Laurel Canyon that I possibly read several years ago. I've never run across a bad book about the scene and all three writers mentioned are very good stylists.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived