Gibson Brands Forums

Bob Dylan signatures are rolling out

JuanCarlosVejar

I don't understand the Bob Dylan connection. If it had been a Nick Lucas model or a J-50, it would make more sense. Even when Bob did play a J-200 around the time of Nashville Skyline (see Elliot Landy's cover shot) but it was hardly blinged-out. In recent years, I remember mostly Martins, though I admit I'm not up to date. Is this really what he's playing these days?

I guess I should be thankful. There's no temptation here to blow 5 grand.

Well from what I understand that is the way Bob wanted his personal guitar .

I would love one of these but was told no lefty versions will be made available.

They come in two versions signed or unsigned

The signed version is around 10k and the unsigned is half of that.

It's things like this that make me hate being left handed .

I really wanted one since I saw it at NAMM ... having double guards would leave just the bracing to be done properly.

JC

Speaking of Dylan guitars, can someone identify the guitar Dylan is holding on the cover on the new issue Rolling Stone? It's shaped like and looks like a blinged-out J-200, but with abalone body binding, etc.

It's from the Big Pink era.

Sorry, I didn't pick up a copy so that I could scan the cover, but I will in a few days.

Speaking of Dylan guitars, can someone identify the guitar Dylan is holding on the cover on the new issue Rolling Stone? It's shaped like and looks like a blinged-out J-200, but with abalone body binding, etc.

It's from the Big Pink era.

Sorry, I didn't pick up a copy so that I could scan the cover, but I will in a few days.

Nick ,

That guitar is a Prarie State Jumbo (one of the larson bros brands)

JC

If it isn't a thread exclusively about the Harrison/Dylan J-200, it's a serious dialogue about it within another thread.

As I recall it, it seems Harrison might have bought it on the trip when he visited Dylan - for then to take it back to Britain for fx Here Comes The Sun.

Only to lend Bob the guitar once more during Isle of Wright the following year (where B.D. also played a D-35).

They just put up the spec sheet :

After years of design and development overseen by the artist’s personal guidance, The Bob Dylan Autographed SJ-200 Collector’s Edition is an exact replica of Bob’s personal highly-customized SJ-200. Fashioned from highly figured Indian rosewood and AAA Sitka spruce. The headstock features the artist’s eye logo inlaid in mother-of-pearl with a Bella Voce mother-of-pearl inlay in the fret board. The double pick guards are ornately decorated with an inlay of abalone.Each model features a label autographed by Bob Dylan and is numbered in the series on the head block. Only 175 guitars will be made and distributed for worldwide sales. These guitars will also include a unique limited edition hard-shell case with embroidered artist’s eye logo. Reserve yours now at your authorized Gibson Montana dealer.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2014/Bob-Dylan-SJ-200-Autographed-Collectors-Ed.aspx

JC

Wowser.

But I'm having a bit of trouble with the double pickguards.

DylanGibson2-620-80.jpg. DylanGibson1-620-80.jpg

It may just be the photos, but the color the back is stained, combined with the grain, makes it look very much like the maple back of my 1947 L-7. I never would have guessed it was rosewood from either the color or the grain.

It may just be the photos, but the color the back is stained, combined with the grain, makes it look very much like the maple back of my 1947 L-7. I never would have guessed it was rosewood from either the color or the grain.

Stump-wood as some call it - but aka Mystic Rosewood -

SJBD2AGH1-Back-Shot.jpg

And that headstock inlay is real different -

SJBD2AGH1-Headstock.jpg

Stump-wood as some call it - but aka Mystic Rosewood -

And that headstock inlay is real different -

There is decidedly an angel back there - and the crowned 'all-seeing' eye is much cooler than the British royal crown we saw on another 2oo in Polecastros hands recently.

Have to say I think this giant suit Bob the Elder splendidly. But he has to mojo it in front of the carved rock fireplace - if not on the road. .

"Mister Dylan - we need to hear your own unique ex in person. . "

The funny part of all this is that Dylan hasn't been featured in the live mix for years. Every show I've attended or watched on YouTube has shown at least two guitarists louder than Bob in the mix. For years it was Larry Campbell.

This guitar is beautiful but Bob's name on it is just more silliness.

Like zomby quoted, "money doesn't talk, it swears."

Or as I might tell Bob and Gibson: You got a lotta nerve!

Archived