Gibson Brands Forums

Ordering a new ES-335 and its a 2012???

ScaryLarry

Hi

This is my first post but have been lurking for a while.

I was going to place an order for a new ES-335 Figured Dot Gloss and the sales person gave me the price and info on the guitar.

When I asked if I should wait for a new 2015, he said probably not, as the prices typically increase close to 30% each year.

So I decided to purchased the new one he had in stock. I was just about ready to give him my payment info, when I said that I

assume that this is a 2014 guitar, to which he replied it a new 2012 that we got new from Gibson last year!

So I decided to find out if this is indeed typical for Gibson to be years behind in production. I'm not hung up on the year, but

am trying to find out what a new (old stock) 2012 would be worth vs. a new 2014 (and soon 2015) ES-335 Figured Dot Gloss, and if

they vary by years (i.e. some good years some not so good).

Any info would be appreciated.

SL

... he replied it a new 2012 that we got new from Gibson last year!

Even if the store received it in early 2013, they paid 2012 dealer price. Therefore, the selling price should reflect 2012 street prices.

In other words, I would expect a DEEP discount!

I bought 2 Gibson Guitars for my son this year.

According to the serial numbers,

The acoustic SJ200 was made in 2012

The electric L5 CES was made in 2013

Doesn't bother me any that they were a year old when I bought them.

I've had the L5 two weeks and have just taken it back to have the neck adjusted.

I understand this is not uncommon with new guitars.

Hi

This is my first post but have been lurking for a while.

I was going to place an order for a new ES-335 Figured Dot Gloss and the sales person gave me the price and info on the guitar.

When I asked if I should wait for a new 2015, he said probably not, as the prices typically increase close to 30% each year.

So I decided to purchased the new one he had in stock. I was just about ready to give him my payment info, when I said that I

assume that this is a 2014 guitar, to which he replied it a new 2012 that we got new from Gibson last year!

So I decided to find out if this is indeed typical for Gibson to be years behind in production. I'm not hung up on the year, but

am trying to find out what a new (old stock) 2012 would be worth vs. a new 2014 (and soon 2015) ES-335 Figured Dot Gloss, and if

they vary by years (i.e. some good years some not so good).

Any info would be appreciated.

SL

I bought my ES335 satin last month and it's a 2013 model.

2014 models were being sold at the same time.

Retail list on mine is $2499, which is the same price for the 2014 models.

But, I got a great discount on mine from $2499 to $1842 out the door tax included. Maybe use that discount as a guide, about 26% off regular retail for mine.

If you're getting a 2 model year older guitar, then you should expect a good discount reflecting it's depreciation and likely lower list price for that model year.

I didn't see a 30% increase from 2013 to 2014. I didn't see any increase really, but Gibson does increase prices from time to time.

For many 2015 model year prices have gone way up, in a crazy way.

And Gibson says they are no longer building guitars with the satin finish. Too bad really cause I love my satin finish, it does have a bit different tone. Some my not like it but some of us do. :)

As for getting an "older" new guitar it didn't matter to me at all because I love how this one feels, plays, and sounds.

The 2014's aren't any different so out the door price is what mattered after I found the one I wanted.

I bought my 2010 335 'new' in 2012. If I had have been more savvy at the time I would have pushed for more of a discount.

Now i just assume pricier and niche guitars have a tendency to move slower so there's always going to be some left overs from a year on the wall.

I paid about $2500 about 9 months ago for a 2012 plain gloss dot 335.

It should be a great guitar, but you shouldn't be paying more than about 2500 or so. Make sure that you can return the guitar if it's not acceptable, even if it's just for something you don't like about it.

[thumbup]

I had a similar experience a few years ago...

My dealer had to reject a new 335 Dot with finish defects

Then found a perfect one which I was very happy with and purchased

Only after a week or so did I look inside and realise the guitar was made 3 years before... :blink:

Decided not to worry as it was such a great example...and continues to be so... [thumbup]

V

:-({|=

Many stores have older new stock in warehouses, not uncommon. I would expect to pay the dealer retail price for that model year ( maybe a few hundred less) on the instrument, which would be a considerable savings over more current models. They are still a new guitar, no worries.

I always haggle with them and have gotten good deals. I bought a 2012 335 cherry figured in Feb 13 for 1900. I purchased a 2nd one this year , a 14 model that had been in the store for 5 months (a VS Figured ) for 2100. I would definetly try to get a discount.

Archived