Gibson Brands Forums

Standard Gibson hard shell case for flying?

Staninator

I'll be flying home for Christmas (3 week break) and am considering taking my guitar with me. All I have for a case is the standard hard shell Gibson case it came in. I've checked with my airline and I'm allowed to take it as carry on, but in the event there isn't room in an overhead bin or whatever it'd have to be taken below. It's about a 60-80 minute flight and I'm wondering if the case/guitar would hold up alright, assuming I did a good job of maybe packing some shirts in with the guitar to keep the neck cradled and whatnot. Thanks!

I'll be flying home for Christmas (3 week break) and am considering taking my guitar with me. All I have for a case is the standard hard shell Gibson case it came in. I've checked with my airline and I'm allowed to take it as carry on, but in the event there isn't room in an overhead bin or whatever it'd have to be taken below. It's about a 60-80 minute flight and I'm wondering if the case/guitar would hold up alright, assuming I did a good job of maybe packing some shirts in with the guitar to keep the neck cradled and whatnot. Thanks!

If you have to valet check the guitar.... Make sure you are able to lock the case..... Put your name and number in and outside the case.... The person that takes your guitar get his or hers first and last name just in case it comes up missing..... Finally loosen the strings

Some terrible things have happened to guitars that were stowed with the luggage on airplanes. But my experience has been that (especially with a LP) the flight attendants are happy to store in the 1st class closet where the rich people hang their furs and stuff. They generally won't fit in an overhead bin. The case itself will do a pretty good job of supporting the neck etc. But if it gets tossed around by baggage handlers, no amount of t-shirts stuffed inside will save it. Just insist on taking it into the cabin with you - it really shouldn't be a problem.

If you can't fit in overhead, ask flight attendant to store up front or gate check and ask the folks to be careful. Works like a charm and it doesn't go into the vault with regular baggage. Once flight is over you wait by plane door and receive your Gibson. They often will personally hand it to you and some will invariably ask you to display it. You get to be a momentary rock star.

Typically I gate check and not even try to overhead. Best of luck!

I just went through this nightmare in October. The flight going was not a problem. They (United Airlines) told me there was no such thing as gate checking anymore and to feel free to put my LP in the overhead bin.

Coming home was a different story. They never said a word about bringing it on the plane until right before I stepped into the plane. A TSA geek said I couldn't take it on the plane. You have to tread lightly with these jerks as one wrong word can land you on a "no fly" list.

I politely explained that I was permitted to bring it with me from Florida to Pennsylvania without a problem. She took it from my hands and said I could pick it up in Florida. I asked it she was going to insure it, and she said no and walked away. I wanted to punch her in the face.

When I got to Florida, my guitar was waiting for me as I stepped off the plane. Yep...right outside the door...it was laying in a pile with strollers and skateboards etc etc. Two big scuff marks were on it from cramming it into the hold. When I got inside the terminal, I opened the case and found nothing wrong with it. Never again!! No harm was done other than seriously scuffing the case, but the angst of them just taking one of my children and (probably) stuffing it into the hold without insurance was gut wrenching.

In an unrelated story, my wife had to pay an additional $500 for a seat to hold her portable oxygen concentrator. It had been cleared by the airlines after two weeks of constant phone calls and endless forms to fill out. Yet the airline badgered her constantly about the fact it took up too much room...IN FIRST CLASS where the seats are bigger and there is additional leg room.

The "friendly skies" aren't so friendly after all.

Best of luck on your trip. I hope yours goes smoother than ours did.

First off. In my experience back when I was hired with the airlines in the late 80s, ramp agents took pride in treating peoples luggage (especially musical instruments) properly. Sure things still got broken, but it was more the exception than the rule. Nowdays with the yahoos they hire off the street for $8.00 an hour and no chance of ever getting paid much more, it's hard to find an employee that gives a rats A@# about your stuff.

But having said that, my son recently shipped our SG from Anchorage to Baltimore in a generic hard shell case. He just put some old shirts inside to provide some extra cushion and support and I think he taped the case shut. Surprisingly it arrived fine, other than the setup being all whacked out from the changes in temp and humidity.

When I say "shipped" I mean he put it as checked baggage on his flights home.

Just Googled "Fibreglass Guitar Case" and got lots of hits.

They should be stronger than a chipboard case but will cost you $1,0000.

Never know a luggage handler's mindset though:

"That case looks like it holds a valuable instrument. I'll be careful with it."

vs

"That case looks strong. I can throw it from here."

Yes, the fiberglass type guitar cases run around $1000. Two of the big names are Calton (fiberglass) and Hoffee (carbon fiber), and both come in around that price point. These are both USA manufacturers, and "made to order" for each specific instrument.

I have seen a Chinese line of cases, and the big box stores (and on-line counterparts) sell some sort of fiberglass style cases, at a much lower price point. These are only available for standard style/size guitars.

Archived