Gibson Brands Forums

Show us your SG's

cody78

I hope 4Hayden doesn't mind as he started the LP & ES threads, but nobody has done one for SG's yet so I thought I would begin one.

I have 3 Gibson SG's & 1 Epi, here's 2 of them...the other 2 will follow when I upload some pics of them.

SG Custom (Kirk Douglas)

IMG_1115_zps1733f36b.jpg

..and Epi G1275 (technically an SG really)

epig12_zps760695b1.jpg

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still in the process of upgrading some cosmetics, but did just swap out the corian nut for Tusq today and added a lot of mid and low end (yes, they make a difference).

2013 SGJ with Grover kidney tuners, Tusq nut, Gibson Gear plain truss cover, vintage toggle switch cover, black/silver top hats... '61 short PG on the way from PickGuardian. Also swapped out the silver strap pins from my LP... nasty black plastic ones hidden in a bag of parts.

finalb4pg03_zpse19fc82b.jpg

finalb4pg04_zps631c4649.jpg

Twist my Arm! [biggrin]

270fd228-450f-46b0-8544-1f5411651592_zps53a03e0b.jpg

40c2bb04-abc6-47fa-922c-75cf782669e8_zps24629224.jpg

CB

CB, I always like seeing pics of your guitar collection - the SG's and the Les Pauls too that are over in the LP section.

You've got some really great SG's there and nice to see another owner of the SG Custom Kirk Douglas - though your pic is a better one than the one I took of mine! I'd been debating to get an SG Original (the 2nd version they brought out) for a while now, but I decided to spend my funds on a new J-15. I still want one though as they look and sound superb.

CB, I always like seeing pics of your guitar collection - the SG's and the Les Pauls too that are over in the LP section.

You've got some really great SG's there and nice to see another owner of the SG Custom Kirk Douglas - though your pic is a better one than the one I took of mine! I'd been debating to get an SG Original (the 2nd version they brought out) for a while now, but I decided to spend my funds on a new J-15. I still want one though as they look and sound superb.

Thank you, Cody. I "went without" an SG for 40 years (30 of which, I didn't play anymore, at all). When I got back into playing,

in about 2000, I bought my Classic LP, "Lucille," and some other's over the years. But, due to MY not caring for the (current at

that time) beveling, and lack of horn tapers, I didn't pursue an SG, until late 2012. December, that year, is when I got my "Satin"

'61, reissue, and absolutely fell in LOVE with it. In 2013, I added the other 3, as they came out. Haven't regretted ANY of them!

They're all outstanding versions, and all have the proper bevels and horn tapers, that I missed so much! Thank you, Gibson, for

"going back" to the original SG Spec's! I hope they continue that, and bring out a Special, and Junior, with those same correct

(early 60's) spec's. [thumbup]

If/When you get your "Original 2," I'm quite sure you'll love it, as much as I do my first issue "Original!" [thumbup]

CB

Did someone mention SG's? I had a couple in the 80's but got rid of them. I regret selling my 60's SG Special but the neck on that one was so slim it felt like it would break in my hand. Back in 2011 I got another one, now called the SG Classic. I wanted a guitar with 2 P90's to use at gigs so I could leave my 59 LP Jr at home. I could not believe how nice it was or how inexpensive it was. That led to a white 50th Anniversary Pete Townsend model a year later. At that point Gibson's prices were dropping drastically, $2800 SG's started selling in the $1200 to $1650 range so I bought three more. I'm a sucker for the small pickguards, to me, that's the way SG's are supposed to look. I believe I'm done buying SG's for now.

11091466666_3a16f8ba1d.jpg

Here's one in action at a recent gig:

14429968149_3f29d2c53a.jpg

Thank you, Cody. I "went without" an SG for 40 years (30 of which, I didn't play anymore, at all). When I got back into playing,

in about 2000, I bought my Classic LP, "Lucille," and some other's over the years. But, due to MY not caring for the (current at

that time) beveling, and lack of horn tapers, I didn't pursue an SG, until late 2012. December, that year, is when I got my "Satin"

'61, reissue, and absolutely fell in LOVE with it. In 2013, I added the other 3, as they came out. Haven't regretted ANY of them!

They're all outstanding versions, and all have the proper bevels and horn tapers, that I missed so much! Thank you, Gibson, for

"going back" to the original SG Spec's! I hope they continue that, and bring out a Special, and Junior, with those same correct

(early 60's) spec's. [thumbup]

If/When you get your "Original 2," I'm quite sure you'll love it, as much as I do my first issue "Original!" [thumbup]

CB

I sadly missed out on the first batch of the originals and over here in the UK the 2nd version is still available in some shops, so that is why I am after that one. I like both the Heritage Cherry and the Vintage Cherry versions equally though. I know what you mean about the bevels & horn tapers as I do prefer the original SG specs too, but I don't mind the later versions that they produced with the different specs. Like you say, it would be great if they brought out a Special & Junior with the original specs as they looked great. In the last few years it's a shame Gibson seem to have abandoned the Junior and the traditional looking Special, but I'm sure they'll return at some point as Gibson seem to drop models for a few years and then bring them back when they feel like it!

Did someone mention SG's? I had a couple in the 80's but got rid of them. I regret selling my 60's SG Special but the neck on that one was so slim it felt like it would break in my hand. Back in 2011 I got another one, now called the SG Classic. I wanted a guitar with 2 P90's to use at gigs so I could leave my 59 LP Jr at home. I could not believe how nice it was or how inexpensive it was. That led to a white 50th Anniversary Pete Townsend model a year later. At that point Gibson's prices were dropping drastically, $2800 SG's started selling in the $1200 to $1650 range so I bought three more. I'm a sucker for the small pickguards, to me, that's the way SG's are supposed to look. I believe I'm done buying SG's for now.

11091466666_3a16f8ba1d.jpg

Here's one in action at a recent gig:

14429968149_3f29d2c53a.jpg

Brilliant collection there [thumbup] I've yet to try an SG with P-90's, but sure would like to try that Classic [thumbup]

I really must take some better pictures, but here are my other 2 with the Custom 'Kirk Douglas' in the middle. Left: 2012 Standard with a fat rounded neck. Right: another 2012 Standard but with a slim 60's neck, coil taps and no pickup covers - I really like the Honey colour on this one.

SGs_zps18f0ed99.jpg

IMG_1195_zpsa2d944e2.jpg

I sadly missed out on the first batch of the originals and over here in the UK the 2nd version is still available in some shops, so that is why I am after that one. I like both the Heritage Cherry and the Vintage Cherry versions equally though. I know what you mean about the bevels & horn tapers as I do prefer the original SG specs too, but I don't mind the later versions that they produced with the different specs. Like you say, it would be great if they brought out a Special & Junior with the original specs as they looked great. In the last few years it's a shame Gibson seem to have abandoned the Junior and the traditional looking Special, but I'm sure they'll return at some point as Gibson seem to drop models for a few years and then bring them back when they feel like it!

Brilliant collection there [thumbup] I've yet to try an SG with P-90's, but sure would like to try that Classic [thumbup]

ive got a 2010 classic p90's ..its a fine guitar sounds awsome ,,,

SG_Pair.JPG

Really like all the SG's everyone has added, keep them coming.

Graphic Autist. Very nice pair of SG's you have. How does the SG 120 you have differ from the old version of the Standard pre-2013? If you look back on this thread you will see my 2012 HC Standard which looks just like yours minus the 120th fret marking. They brought out an SG Traditional too over here in the UK which seems a clone of both yours and mine but with 57 classics instead if I remember correctly.

Twist my Arm! [biggrin]

40c2bb04-abc6-47fa-922c-75cf782669e8_zps24629224.jpg

CB

you know, i've seen some ugly guitars in my day, but this one takes the cake. I'm actually embarrassed for you CB, the fact that you own this, and would even consider posting a picture of it. i will take it off your hands for you, for a fair price, just so you will no longer feel the humiliation and public scorn for owning such a Pariah.

Archived