Gibson Brands Forums

Flummoxed I am!

GibsonKramer

I've been debating trading in my Kramer for some time now. For 30 years, I swore I would be buried it... then I started getting guitars I had wanted all my life. If I had a Top 5, There'd be a Les Paul (have it). A SG (close enough for me)... and a Gibson Explorer. I love the Flying V also... but the Explorer was one that inspired me. Plus, one of my favorite guitars ever, which I wish I still had, would be about a 35 year old Ibanez Destroyer (which was part of a collassal trade-in, that turned into one of the biggest POS ever, which then resulted in the loss of a beautiful '71 Gibson Les Paul)...

Anyway...

Ever since I brought up trading her, they've been bugging me to bring it in. I've looked at couple AA and AAA top LPs, but today... I like them... but parting with the Kramer, its just not inspiring.

Today I saw her... 2014 Gibson Explorer (link)

They have her at list, which means I have some wiggle room. Hopefully, she makes it through Black Friday. I'm not sure she makes it through the weekend, as I'm supposed to take in the Kramer on Sunday.

I've been debating trading in my Kramer for some time now. For 30 years, I swore I would be buried it... then I started getting guitars I had wanted all my life. If I had a Top 5, There'd be a Les Paul (have it). A SG (close enough for me)... and a Gibson Explorer. I love the Flying V also... but the Explorer was one that inspired me. Plus, one of my favorite guitars ever, which I wish I still had, would be about a 35 year old Ibanez Destroyer (which was part of a collassal trade-in, that turned into one of the biggest POS ever, which then resulted in the loss of a beautiful '71 Gibson Les Paul)...

Anyway...

Ever since I brought up trading her, they've been bugging me to bring it in. I've looked at couple AA and AAA top LPs, but today... I like them... but parting with the Kramer, its just not inspiring.

Today I saw her... 2014 Gibson Explorer (link)

They have her at list, which means I have some wiggle room. Hopefully, she makes it through Black Friday. I'm not sure she makes it through the weekend, as I'm supposed to take in the Kramer on Sunday.

I don't know much about Explorers, I'm a LP man however, if you don't mind me giving a bit of advice, go with it. Follow your heart, then you'll never regret. Has always worked for me. [smile]

Best of luck mate.

I don't know much about Explorers, I'm a LP man however, if you don't mind me giving a bit of advice, go with it. Follow your heart, then you'll never regret. Has always worked for me. [smile]

Best of luck mate.

Funny, you should say "follow your heart."

My friend, I've known almost as long as I've had the guitar (he was one of my techs in the Navy), said something as he caught me on facebook responding to a private message from him.

He simply said, "don't do it."...followed by "you'll never be able to replace it."

I thought about that for a minute. My Kramer, isn't your normal 30 year old axe. Its close to collector grade, the kind guys buy and never take out of the case. I've seen brand new barely marked down blems with more issues. Its got age in the lacquer and the creme has aged a bit. I played it... but barely. It sat in its case mostly.

That's kind of sad and it would be nice to be in a home, where it might get played more. Or maybe with a guy that plays that kind of stuff, shredding axe, speed-licks. It was built for speed and she was a trend-setting guitar (though, I wish she were a hockey-stick - contrary to *opinion* - Kramer switched the headstock during '85). But, then... she won't be a 30 year old guitar looking like that, any more. She'll start to show her age and/or become something else. That guitar has been to as many countries as I have, because it was on every deployment. Its been to Saudi Arabia, Japan, Australia, Cayman Islands, Curacao, Hong Kong, Bangladesh...

Naw, while I might be lusting for something that I've wanted for a very long time. I might have to pay a premium price at some date to get one... but I won't ever be able to replace the Kramer. Nothing would/could come close.

I can sympathise with your dilemma, GK.

If it were me who had to choose? I know what I'd do but, of course, I'm not you.

Nor can I offer any meaningful advice but, FWIW, here's my experience of a similar situation;

Ten years ago I took the decision to sell my '64 Strat which I'd owned for 24 years.

It was my all-time-favourite-best-player-ever-greatest-sounding guitar but I let it go anyway.

Do I regret letting it go? 35% yes 65% no.

A few years ago the urge to own a Strat returned and I was in a spot. You see, I thought I'd never be able to find a replacement and, as such, was doomed to regret. Then, whilst trying out a few dozen in London I found a Strat which was uncannily like the old girl. I've said it before but I'll say it again anyhow; it felt exactly like 'coming home'. The neck, especially, was so identical in feel that it was spooky. It's one of the MIMs but that didn't matter to me in the slightest (sorry, Donny!). It was - still is - a fantastic Strat (and I've owned quite a few). It's even in the same colour. It looks exactly like what the '64 would have looked like in '64.

My situation, I understand, was a much simpler matter than finding another Kramer in such condition should you 'sell and regret' at a later date.

I doubt any of that helped you any but I wish you the best of luck in making the right decision.

P.

I can't offer advice but you have to ask yourself, if you had that explorer would you trade it for that Kramer?

I have a 2008 Explorer and they are great guitars, mine has the super flat neck. I do prefer the neck on the current production but I am not complaining, I boought mine for $935 brand new.

Archived