Gibson Brands Forums

My take on the 2015 SG Special.

Searcy

Spent a little time with a 2015 Gibson SG Special today. This is the second time I have looked at it and I'm digging it more every time I play it.

0DB9C8E0-2AB6-4B67-A041-BF933D2B9950_zpsonlm9myf.jpg

The new neck is wider. Strangely the string spacing is the same as on older SG Specials. When I first heard the neck was wider I was like "Yea!" Then I heard that the string spacing was the same and I was like "What?". So I had to try one. It's not noticeable to the fingertips but it feels better to the palm of my hand. Also the radius is flatter. I think this is the biggest thing I like about it. The neck is sort of a cross between my 2008 SG Special and my Gibson Chet Country Gent. Also, while I would never use it , it also has 24 frets.

487ED938-C729-4732-8F7D-0AA5274A0753_zpsdhxaxrsx.jpg

There has been a lot of complaining about the 30% increase in the 2015 models. Folks seem to think it's just a price hike and you're not getting anything for your money. This isn't the case. In fact one of the things you are getting is a hard shell case. Gibson is dropping many recent cost cutting measures such as the the gig bag on all models and going back to a hard shell case even for the lowly SG Special. They have also dropped all "satin" finishes so that now even the SG spacial has a really deep lustrous finish. Love it of hate it (I love it) you also get the MinE Tune tuner system. There is also a new brass adjustable nut and zero fret which means raising and lower the action at the nut is now as simple as adjusting two screws.

B939BF57-3B34-432F-BE5E-BAF9AE34E337_zpsdmu5js3z.jpg

Think about all that for a second. The wider and flatter neck, the height adjustable nut and the MinE Tune system add up to what may be the greatest slide guitar Gibson has ever produced.

The guitar I looked at was priced at $1079. Last years SG Special is selling for $881 on Musician's Friend . They are also selling the case for $199. So the cost to value ratio is about a wash.

A side note on the MinE Tune. I tried out three new Gibson yesterday. Now that I better understand how they work, it was a real joy to pick up a guitar to try out, push a button and have it be in tune. I think Gibson would do well to put this MinE Tune on every showroom guitar as a demo feature. Then if someone buys the guitar give that person the option to keep it or have a set of Grovers installed by the onsite tech at the store at no charge. As much as I love the MinE Tune I think it would go over bigger if it were a choice.

Thank You, Searcy!

I agree about the G-Force/Grovers choice, You are suggesting.

From all the new features, the looks of the nut bothers me the most.

I could live with the wider neck, but the nut... I understand the possible advantages of this new design, but - at least - they could have black anodized them, so they wouldn`t look so off.

The gloss finish is very nice and I am glad that a hardcase is included as well.

What is Your opinion about the polished fretboard, Searcy?

Best wishes... Bence

I honestly didn't even notice the polished fretboard. I guess it looks good.

I like the brass but a lot. The look doesn't bother me but you're right. It might look better in black it even chrone. In time it will tarnish and be less noticeable. Aside from the advantages in the Gibson marketing copy the nut allows the PLEK system to work faster and makes for a less expensive assembly process. Plating or anodizing might negate the cost savings. I don't really know.

The two other things I forgot to mention are the Les Paul 100 logo and the hologram. I think they both look a little cheeseball but I can appreciate that they are trying to pay tribute to Les Paul by using his own signature. Either way it will be gone next year. And that important because guitar players make very few of their buying decisions based on sound or playability. Their decisions are based almost entirely on looks.

...And that important because guitar players make very few of their buying decisions based on sound or playability. Their decisions are based almost entirely on looks.

Got it. ;)

But, we are talking Gibsons. They are, - in my opinion - not just simple instruments, but also pieces of applied art.

Thanks again!

Best wishes... Bence

Archived