Gibson Brands Forums

J45 questions

fatpicker

Hi everyone,

I am new on here.

I have played guitar for many years and now I am looking to buy my first Gibson but I don't have a big budget. I have a Martin D18 and lean towards mahogany. I really like the J45s. There's a 2013 J45 60s special run for sale that looks cool but I can't find any info on this model.

Do you know much about this guitar? Should I stick it out and get a standard J45?

I play mostly bluegrass/flatpicking but also some singer songwriter/country. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Hi everyone,

I am new on here.

I have played guitar for many years and now I am looking to buy my first Gibson but I don't have a big budget. I have a Martin D18 and lean towards mahogany. I really like the J45s. There's a 2013 J45 60s special run for sale that looks cool but I can't find any info on this model.

Do you know much about this guitar? Should I stick it out and get a standard J45?

I play mostly bluegrass/flatpicking but also some singer songwriter/country. Thanks in advance for any help.

Jim

Many singer and songwriters have cherished the Gibson J45 for decades! It is a wonderful guitar to sing with, It is comfortable in your lap because of its sloped body. It is Mahogany, a stellar wood for complimenting the human singing voice also. If you want a J45, I would say get it if you find a good one..and Best wishes...GL

I may be wrong, but in 2012 the 60s j-45 have an adjustable saddle, the 2013 have a normal bridge, so that'll make the guitar in question pretty much a standard j-45 with different cosmetics.

So if you like its looks the only question is: Is it your guitar regarding tone and playability?

You are the only one who can answer that.

a j45 will do fine in a bluegrass setting , as will any guitar , within indefinable parameters.

There are certain bluegrassers who , rather unfortunately, will show the mean streak and do damnest to drown out a quieter guitar . In some sort of show of musical muscle with their 'cannons'. The volume of a j45 isn't the greatest on the planet . but that shouldn't be a prerequisite for a purchase .... unless you're that guy who busks in times square .

so depends on your bluegrass setting I guess.

main question you need to answer , and it's only an answer from yourself , is 'does this j45 I have in my hands inspire me to be a better musician. will I have more fun with this guitar than any other .'

my j45 is hands down the best guitar I've ever owned.

good luck . and keep us posted with your journey.

Agree that most Gibson Reissues share little DNA with the instruments they are supposedly based on and are pretty much a standard model with different cosmetics and possibly a different neck profile like a slim taper.

I do not play bluegrass but would think if I was going to pick a Gibson for the task I might lean toward a Hummingbird. But no way to get around the fact that J-45 is a pretty good all around guitar and can handle anything although it will shine more with some styles than others.

I wish that I had bought my J-45 35 years ago..it would have saved me hundred trying every

Japanese guitar, Martin, Guild, Ovation, and 70s Gibsons. I have had my 45s 22 years soon.

and they are great.

I can't argue with any of the good things said here about the J-45. It's one of the most versatile guitars ever built. It doesn't necessarily excel for any single type of playing--but I might question that--but you can use it for practically type of music, and it will hold its own.

There is probably no better guitar for accompanying a singer, yet as Sean Watkins shows with his newgrass cross-picking, it will make you sit up and pay attention as a solo instrument in the right hands.

J45 - May Not Be The Only Guitar You'll Ever WANT

But It Will Be The Only Guitar You'll Ever NEED !

Indeed. I'm partial, but it's my weapon of choice. My Rosewood/ebony is very loud and bright for some reason. Perhaps it's my attack and the 80/20s?

I'm faster with the shorter scale, and it just "fits".

Best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you are this close to getting a J-45 you should certainly play a J-45 True Vintage. The later guitars, post 2007 have the adi tops. My 2007 has a Sitka top. I love everything about it because it has all the characteristics, sound, comfort, and looks everyone on this thread has relayed to you. There are nice used J-45 TV guitars on eBay. Good luck.

Archived