Gibson Brands Forums

12 Strings, 12 Frets & A Trash Can

zombywoof

Not sure there is a program to help out here but my latest addition to the family was found sticking out of a garbage can - a Regal 12 string. 15 1/4" lower bout, the double X bracing (shades of Norlin-era Gibsons) that was standard in all Regal-made jumbos starting around 1935, and funky wrap around "smile" bridge the pin version of which is commonly found on Regal-made Washburns of the 1930s. Hard as heck to get a line on these. Very few of them out there. Even Bob Carlin in his book has little to say about Regal 12s. A 12 string matching this one does pop up in the 1939-1940 Regal catalog but the model does not appear in a 1947 dealer price list although the trapeze bridge model does show up. Can't comment on sound as when I removed the two strings on it I found the neck was so loose it would have popped off if I talked harshly to it. So it will have to wait till I get the thing off to the repair guy. Took a few pics of it shortly after it was retrieved from the trash.

Regal12String003_zps25008284.jpg

Regal12String-II004_zpsa4d65dd6.jpg

Not sure there is a program to help out here but my latest addition to the family....

The first time I read that, it was "my latest addiction to the family...." I don't know if there's a program for that either.

....was found sticking out of a garbage can

Wha...? In the alley behind last weekend's estate sale? How do you find a garbage can with a guitar sticking out of it?

The first time I read that, it was "my latest addiction to the family...." I don't know if there's a program for that either.

I read the same thing…especially coming from Zomby!!…That is a GREAT find!!! Double "X' bracing probably good for a 12 string…..having the neck loose is half the problem of the neck reset it probably needs….this is just a great find!!…lol….never happens to me!

Wha...? In the alley behind last weekend's estate sale? How do you find a garbage can with a guitar sticking out of it?

Typo - I guess I still had Mr. Fool's post on my mind.

Other instruments found in the trash locally this year - a Wurlizter electric piano with a beat up case but still working and a Dan Electro Guitarlin with pickups but missing its electronics.

Archived