Gibson Brands Forums

Perfect POP

cookieman15061

Off today so had sometime to just relax and think about all things not work related. Thought about what makes for a great Pop song. For me it's three and half minutes of toe tapping sugary ear candy. A song that I hear once and instantly sticks in my head.

Here's my top 10 pop gems.

1. Just what I needed The Cars

2. No Matter What Badfinger

3. Go All The Way The Raspberries

4. Mr. Blue Sky ELO

5. How Long Ace

6. Love Is Like Oxygen Sweet

7. Stacy's Mom fountains of wayne

8. Handle with Care Traveling Wilbury's

9. Fooled Around And Fell In Love Elvin Bishop

10. Any single released in the 70s by Paul McCartney

They are certainly some good pop songs. If I wasn't trying, I could easily come up with a list of my own. But of course now that I try, my mind goes blank.

I'll probably think of better ones later but:

Jenny Jenny

Hello It's Me

My Life Billy Joel

Sugar Honey Honey the Archie

You've Got a Friend

I'll think more before posting some others

Off today so had sometime to just relax and think about all things not work related. Thought about what makes for a great Pop song. For me it's three and half minutes of toe tapping sugary ear candy. A song that I hear once and instantly sticks in my head.

Here's my top 10 pop gems.

1. Just what I needed The Cars

2. No Matter What Badfinger

3. Go All The Way The Raspberries

4. Mr. Blue Sky ELO

5. How Long Ace

6. Love Is Like Oxygen Sweet

7. Stacy's Mom fountains of wayne

8. Handle with Care Traveling Wilbury's

9. Fooled Around And Fell In Love Elvin Bishop

10. Any single released in the 70s by Paul McCartney

Since no one else seems to have anything to add, I'll comment again. :rolleyes:

It's my opinion that good pop is good and requires real talent to write and perform. Sure there have always been some pop songs that are cheesy, gimmicky and just plain bad. But the whole genre shouldn't be dismissed or ridiculed by elitists fans either just because it sells. Sometimes a nice happy song, or nice sad song or good dance song, etc. can be popular to a mass audience and still have musical merit.

Theres lots of good pop...

I think Michael Jackson really was the king of pop.. He certainly had the knack of writing hits...

I also like some ABBA stuff... while as you say it may be a bit cheesy, its well written (IMO of course) (and I especially like this video (check 1:00min in ;))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OOrleE6wfc

And then you have stuff like R.E.M., Genesis, Talking Heads, David Bowie, The Police etc etc... loads and load of it.

Always liked this one

As for what makes a good pop song.. Mostly I think its easy to remember lyrics and a catchy hook..

Man, what a can of worms you've opened... and those are some good calls!

Just You 'N' Me - Chicago

Your Mama Don't Dance - Loggins & Messina

Jesse's Girl - Rick Springfield

Lido Shuffle - Boz Scaggs

Down On The Corner - CCR

Jimmy Olsen's Blues - Spin Doctors

New Sensation - INXS

Monday Morning - Fleetwood Mac

Love Is The Drug - Roxy Music

Rock 'N Me - Steve Miller Band

Sorry, I couldn't stop at 10 so I'm throwing this one in as a bonus:

Still Rock & Roll To Me - Billy Joel (IMHO one of most Beatles-esque sounding non-Beatles tunes ever)

Σß

It has to have that hook; that infectious melody. And to me delivery counts. Give me honest. If you're hamming it up for the sale with syrupy tripe, get off my stereo.

And no offense to you guys, but I question your taste in pop songs.

Not a band I've ever followed particularly, but to me they have several songs I'd say border on perfect pop in my take on the word (which I realise will vary for everyone). I'd be happy to write rock-pop songs as catchy as some of theirs, including:

I think I'm about to show my age.

Back in the '50s we already had a split on radio between "rock" stations and "pop" stations.

I listened to "rock" from about '56 forward, and my folks listened to "pop."

So... most everything mentioned that has a name I recognized would have been played on a rock, not pop radio station. The rest were a lotta song titles I didn't recognize at all.

To me "pop" would largely be the diff in style, arrangement and instrumentation as well as particular tune.

For example, the Jo Stafford version of "you belong to me" as pop compared to the Dupree's doowop "rock" version - both in the '50s "era." Another might be "As tears go by" from either the Stones or Marianne Faithful as "rock," regardless they were "slow dance" tunes.

One might note that the era had a lotta crossovers hard to define by genre even today, and a lotta huge changes in arrangements as the big band gave way to the combo. --- and a lotta top "swing" tunes were reworked into something else. A great example of that was the smooth and slow "blue moon" that was turned into a high-speed doowop piece.

m

Archived