Gibson Brands Forums

More 'Bird for Your Thanksgiving

Fullmental Alpinist

Oh man. Really nice. Always enjoy seeing a major pop song stripped down to just an acoustic song. Then there's also a Gibson multiplier effect going on there, as well. If anyone was looking for an example of the Gibson acoustic sound, this would be a good example. Not hearing much in the way of UST squawk; can't look closely now, but is that condenser mic (center) doing most of the recording duty there? {Edit: Just the right combo of nail & thumb at the solo by Mark Walloch at t= 3:12; watch for the smooth transition back to the pick for the turnaround, 3:33}

Daryl Hall is living the life: home, hearth, food, friends, and song. I hope everyone gets a chance to check out his "Live from Daryl's House" shows. .. Pretty sure most, if not all episodes are at his site/YouTube.

Thanks for sharing, FullMental.

Hep for a glowing session - and a very good song.

1 of the best hooks of the damn 80's. . .

;-)

Still a good hook-- It's been stuck in my head for days now. Any chance you've ever run around with Paul Young? I'm curious if he's a nice guy.

Here's another video of the same song and two questions for anyone:

1) Is the supermodel at 2:12 really singing? (I mean can she really sing at this level or is she just window dressing? Believe me it's worth the look).

2) Is the Ovation at 2:24 strung with steel strings or nylon? (Looks like steel; sounds like nylon.)

Again, the supermodel is definitely worth the look. I'm in love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YA9nUwLmLI

FMA

<2) Is the Ovation at 2:24 strung with steel strings or nylon? (Looks like steel; sounds like nylon.)>

FMA

The guitar has a steel string head. Ovation nylon models have the standard classical slotted head. I play a '76 Balladeer.

He may be using Silk & Steels or Thomastik/Infelds. Looked like a condenser mic so he didn't choose it for the on-board electronics, which is why many artists like the roundbacks.

Some of the shallow bowls sound that way a little but that one looks like a mid-depth model. I don't care much for the way the thinner ones sound unplugged.

Σß

L8_4thesh0w,

Thanks for answering my question.

I've been intrigued by the Ovations: they generally have a great live sound and seem like they'd survive on the road better than solid wood guitars.

I'm curious: does a 70s Balladeer improve with age soundwise or is there not enough wood to make a difference through age-related changes? (I assume the fiberglass or plastic bowl is sonically stable.)

FMA

Fullmental Alpinist,

I've had my Balladeer since brand new and have never had a hard shell case for it. For a very long time it stayed in a cardboard cheapie with some foam rubber added.

In spite of this level of neglect it has held up quite well and I'm ashamed to admit it has made several trips to the pawn shop and back over the years.

After finally getting a zippered nylon-over-contoured-foam case in the mid '90s it was pawned two more times. It was better protection but still not as good as a hard shell case.

A while after I got it back the first time I found a crack from the bridge to about 1/2" from the lower binding, exactly in line with the 6th string. At first I was heartbroken.

I thought it may have been stored improperly or damaged by one of my kids. After conversations with a few people it seems to be a somewhat common occurrence with certain of the older models.

I don't know if the lack of an OHSC plays a part but the remarkable thing is, it has made absolutely no difference in the stability or the sound of this guitar!

It does seem to be slightly warmer in tone and a bit louder with age. Most of the reason for all our time apart was corrected with cervical fusion surgery 2 years ago.

It's played every day now and is never going anywhere without me again, except for a trip to the luthier, for a fret dressing and a new bone nut and compensated saddle.

I couldn't say which models or what years are prone to this problem. I suspect it is a bracing issue and hope to learn the particulars. This one is a Standard Balladeer model #1111-1.

I'm unsure the Custom, #1612, shares the same bracing pattern and both differ from the Legend. If someone is interested in buying a used one I would strongly recommend a hands on inspection or a guarantee of return.

You can find these for a bit more than the $290 I paid in 1976. To replace it with a new one would be at least $1,200-1,500 so an older USA made model might be a better deal.

Sorry if this got too long-winded. -Σß

Sorry if this got too long-winded. -Σß

Not at all. I appreciate the information.

I'm ashamed to admit it has made several trips to the pawn shop and back over the years.

I doubt there's anyone on the forum who feels you need to be ashamed for pawning your git (especially considering what you've been through). I think pawn shops add mojo (and a couple of other things best not discussed in polite company). What's really cool is the way you two have always got back together.

Every once and a while someone will start a thread here on guitars they have sold and then regretted doing it. I think the general consensus among the locals is never sell a guitar you've bonded with.

Glad to hear you two are still together.

FMA

Archived