Gibson Brands Forums

Zero Fret Nut - Opinions?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1417162128[/url]' post='1595978']

I haven't tried out a 2015 model yet and my question for those who have - especially those who own one - How do you like the brass zero fret nut they added this year?

I can't tell you how the ones today feels but, in the past I HATED them useless..think about it..if they were all that good , don't you think they wuda continued it.....zero fret..it is a amazing a bad. Idea winTh absolutely NO value from the past. It is a viable possible sales today cuz..the young peeps don't know that it is useless based on its position.. Nut height is all you need . Zeros fret has NO use..look at it.. Think...buy used...I just don't wanna see you youngsters get taken advantage of.

Building guitars with either zero frets or locking nuts should be a world-wide obligation by international law. The zero-fret nut is a compromise but not the real thing.

The only thing coming close to a zero fret is a locking nut. In one point, double-locking of strings is better than anything else. No adverse string vibrations from outside scale length will mar tone.

Most of my guitars have those dreaded nuts without zero fret though. Through the decades I've learned to put up with the compromised sound of open strings.

I think it would have been fine if they either

left the neck width alone or

spaced the strings out wider.

The problem is that they kept the string spacing the same as on previous years but they made the neck wider. They're just very odd feeling guitars.

Guest Farnsbarns

Ignore 2PooForGibson, a zero fret, overall, is a good thing, his post which seems to say all zero frets are pointless betrays an absolute lack of understanding, experience and knowledge. As for the zero-fret-nut, I'm not convinced but haven't tried one.

Another gimmick added to the Gibson line up this year. Bought a 2014 LP Studio and Melody Maker and the dreadfull 12th fret banner inlay was a tough pill to swallow, so, I will be passing on this years Gibson offerings and buying some Fender guitars. Gonna get a Strat first I think.... Try me again in 2016 Gibby when you put out some more "traditional" style offerings....

I owned a Fender with a zero fret nut for a year or so. The nut was fine. I got rid of it because of neck narrowness.

IMO zero fret nuts are the bees knees. Gibson has added adjustability to the concept - we'll see how useful that proves to be. I'm a setup tweaker. It *might* be that a tweak this way or that at the zero fret nut would make a huge difference. How could the ability to adjust action at both ends be a bad thing?

Lotsa changes in the '15s, but the zero fret nut is not one that bothers me. Except that they are extremely fugly. They coulda made a little snap-on cover or something to make them look less like a sand buggy frame

On the ones I tried. the "adjustable nut", or "zero fret" nut or whatever they call it did not work.

I like the idea of being able to adjust the height. But the nuts did not let the strings move freely across the nut, and caused tuning problems.

In other words, like a badly cut plastic nut, the guitar would not stay in tune doing any kind of string bends.

The string spacing was off, that's for sure. Most would replace a nut just based on that.

If I HAD one of these on a guitar, I would try and get replacements to see if I could get it to work. Maybe polish it, or file away where the string is binding. And I would want to be able to change the string spacing.

I have never needed to adjust the nut on a Les Paul in 40 years of playing. I owned my first real Gibson in 1980 it was a used 73 Conversion Deluxe to Standard. I never even needed to replace the nut on any of the 11 Les Pauls that I have personally owned in the last 40 years either.

Never replaced ANY nut on ANY guitar? Never worked on one (or had it worked on) to lower the action, fix string binding? Or intonation?

I've fixed or replaced, I don't know, maybe half of all the guitars I've had? But maybe I'm more picky.

2 things I've learned: One is, I find on most guitars, the strings are higher at the nut than they need to be. In theory, you CAN have the strings there as low as would be if you fretted a note and was as low as the string height from one fret to another. That might be too low, but the lower the strings are at the nut, the lower the action can be. Lowering the bridge affects string height, and the consequences are from the fretted note to the bridge. Lowering the strings at the nut doesn't have any consequence on the way a note plays, but affects the starting point of how high it is BEFORE you fret it just as much as a bridge adjustment.

Other thing I noticed (over the years) is that rarely is the nut "intonated" as well as the fretted notes. Checking each note on the guitar with a tuner, the nut is almost always the most "out" compared to the rest. If it's really bad, fixing it makes the whole guitar tune better. Especially when considering most people use the open string as a reference when tuning.

No I never kept a Les Paul or Strat long enough to wear one out obviously if in 40 years I owned 11 lol. I used to treat Les Pauls like new cars and put about 50,000 miles on them and trade them off for the new model. Now after 60 years of the same nut they have said oh wait we have a better idea. Yeah right, I'll pass.

I did try a tusq strat nut once and tapped out the old nut on my 09 Highway 1 and tapped that one in. The old nut was better in my book stayed in better. So I tapped it back out replaced the original and I believe I threw the tusq away. The original is still in there. I noticed also that the tusq nut did not make me sound more like Zakk Wylde or Slash only practice did. The Les Paul does not need improvements its a tried and tested item they had perfected in 1960 same with the Stratocaster. All you have to do is know how to use it.

I think in recent history, Gibson has had issues with the nut not being cut very well, and from what I have read, it was pretty common for folks to replace them or have them worked on "new". Maybe about the time of the PLEK. Maybe manufacturing growing pains?

I remember working a little on my non-Plek'd 2008. Don't remember how bad it was. But, like I said...

There's "fine" and there's "perfect" and all points in between. I generally don't keep track of what guitars I have bought that were OK but could be better, or were so bad it NEEDED a new nut. But some were/are pretty bad.

It's a NUT. Who cares? Sure, the "old way" has worked good since before time, but it STILL has to be done right or built right. It's not so much the method or materiel, but the craftsmanship. Doesn't matter what it's made of, brass, plastic, or an extinct animal's private parts. A well cut nut is better than a so-so cut one.

It's a NUT. It's 15 bucks give or take. It's part of a proper set-up. Not even as much work as a fret-job.

Finally got to see, and play some 2015 Gibson models, at my dealer's, this past weekend. [tongue]

Beautiful guitars, ALL (Fit, finish, etc.) BUT...I just don't care for Auto tune, brass nut,

and the tendency on some, to have 3 pots, and small switch, instead of the "normal" 4 pot wiring.

Sure, I could change all that, or have it done, as part of my "deal," but...WHY?! And, I agree,

on the "scribble" "Les Paul" signature, on the headstock! God, I hope that's only temporary,

for the 2015 year models, JUST to commemorate his 100th B-day! I'm a OLD "Luddite," in that

I much prefer Gibson not trying to re-invent the wheel, so to speak, but make the best "old

spec'd" Les Paul and SG's they can make, without having to pay CS prices, to get them!

So, I too, will buy either "used but not abused," or wait, until they come to their senses?

Not in any hurry, currently, to buy ANY guitars. And, if/when I do, it would be an ES-345,

or a 6 and 12-string acoustic. [tongue]

Speaking of acoustic's. I played a small Seagull acoustic, this past weekend, as well! AND,

was "Blown Away," by it's tone and ease of play. It wasn't even one of their fancier, more

expensive models (though, even those are quite reasonable, price wise). Canadian made, and

it sounded GREAT!

CB

Played a 2015 LPJ this past Saturday. The nut was a non-issue. The neck was noticeably wider but it wasn't unplayable and I could get used to it.

The tone was great and the finish was good. The Gforce was annoying plain and simple - 5 minutes by the salesman to tune it. It has a learning curve too and is annoying when you try to manual tune. It's almost like they're BETA testing this tuning thing. Other than the tuner it's still a decent guitar and the tuners can be replaced.

I would say look at the 2014 Midtown Custom.... Feel of a LPC, upper fret access of a SG, great looks and has a wonderful tone in all pickup positions..... And for the low ow price of $1499

no brass nut, no robo-tuners and no interesting "Les Paul script on the head stock.

1417184851[/url]' post='1596045']

Ignore 2PooForGibson, a zero fret, overall, is a good thing, his post which seems to say all zero frets are pointless betrays an absolute lack of understanding, experience and knowledge. As for the zero-fret-nut, I'm not convinced but haven't tried one.

You are telling them to ignore when I have tried oneand owned some in the past .And how prey tell do you know of my knowledgeable experience . And how can you say I am wrong when by your words you have not tried one? I don't wanna argue with you brother but....in the past 45 years..I have owned every type of guitar one can own..for the most part. I'm confused why you would tell people to ignore me when, by your words you lack knowledge and understanding of said part? I am 51 years old and do not speak of what I have no knowledge of. Oddly, this is the second forum that someone has called me a liar,in just the past 24 hrs..Hmm...Peace

1417362081[/url]' post='1596715']

Yep if they hadnt widened the neck and changed the script on the Classic, putting a new precut graphtech nut on would fix that mistake and taking off the robo tuner putting real machine heads on was simple enough on the T. Removing the Battery booster replacing it with hand wired pots and Luxe Bee caps wasn't hard on my 2014 Classic either. But I cant fix stupid and they went full on stupid with the 2015 Classic. So I am just gonna keep what I got and be happy I didnt get stuck with one of those 2015 turds.

They did not perfect the zero nut in the past cuz it was a bad idea..I owned zero nut gits in the past..pointless..I just got trashed from another member herby stating that point..as per MHO..buy old les Paul's..or new ..old spec..like the trad..you,lol be good to go

1. I'll give everybody on here ten bucks if they still have the brass nut across the line in 2016. They already have introduced a half dozen new models within the last couple months with the old style nut - none with the new nut.

2. The way to win an argument - from a pro - is to agree with your opponents underlying values and never insult him personally. And always play by your opponents rules. You can't win an argument unless you do it by your opponents' rules.

3. They did a study and figured out that when person 1 calls person 2 a dope, most people listening will think person 1 is a dope. The same applies whether the guy calls him a dope, a wuss, a sissy, whatever. So when person 1 says person 2 has a complete lack of understanding, most bystanders will think person 1 has a complete lack of understanding.

They did not perfect the zero nut in the past cuz it was a bad idea..I owned zero nut gits in the past..pointless..I just got trashed from another member herby stating that point..as per MHO..buy old les Paul's..or new ..old spec..like the trad..you,lol be good to go

I disagree about the zero fret. They work very well. I have played several Grestch guitars that were/are incredible instruments and the zero fret was perfect. No need to adjust a real,zero fret, because its just the same as the other frets. A real zero fret is much more consistent. The Gibson nut is more an adjustable brass nut than a zero fret, different concept and different material. This is closer to the Ibanez brass nut, they worked well. I currently have a Ibanez JSM100 that has half brass and half bone nut, it works very well. Also, for years I have used a floyd rose system without the locks, it is stainless and works very well too. So... Maybe just bad for you, not your thing. For me, its more the widened Gibson neck to get used to.

Guest Farnsbarns

Well, whether you like a good old fashioned zero fret, or Gibson's new zero fret nut, or neither, the fact is that a zero fret has a point. Calling it pointless is wrong. To say you don't like them is reasonable. I like how a zero fret sounds and what it can do for your action and I can see that it obviously has a point. I like them although I'm not exactly passionate, I haven't tried Gibson's new zero fret nut so while it looks like a good idea I can't comment. None of that seems arguable, that being the case, advising to ignore the post seems reasonable. Deducing from this post, and others, that the poster is short on experience and knowledge? Well, that was pretty rude wasn't it. I guess what goes around, comes around.

As an aside, no one got to try one on a standard width neck which is a shame.

Archived