Gibson Brands Forums

Melody makers?

houndman55

Yo,

How come Gibson Stopped making some of the melody maker model variants like the sg, flying v and explorer? While I think the SGJ and LPJ are great mid way between quality and affordability the Melody Makers could scoop the lowest end of the price chain.

They dropped all the cheapest models that had satin finishes including the SGJ and the LPJ. All the 2015 guitars have a gloss finish with the LP Jr being the cheapest which is similar in features to the MM models you mentioned. They actually dont make Melody Makers most years anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Hard to tell. The first one has a pickguard shaped like a vintage one. It was hard to see the second one but the neck pup had pole pieces, couldn't tell if it was a more recent one or a modified vintage one.

This is what a stock 1960 MM with one pickup looks like, there is also a two pup version.

12388287365_275ee75286.jpg

That was a one time special release. Honestly I didn't really care for them, I didn't like the sound of an all maple guitar. Anyway, Gibson seems to be making only more expensive models now, the cheapest starting at $899. I think the margins on the melody makers and faded series guitars was too low. Maybe they decided that their prices were too low [blink] and now they are charging $3,759 for a Les Paul Standard... [scared]

Archived