Gibson Brands Forums

Blues run the game - LG2 cover

flatbaroque

Cover of the late great Jackson C. Frank's song.

Del and BBG introduced me to this feller's work. I think Del posted a cover of the Bert Jansch arrangement. Mine's closer to the original...ie simpler [smile]. But I did throw in the odd minor chord from Bert's version.

If you don't know the guy ( Jackson )and you like good folk songwriting check him out.

Hope you are well Del...wherever you are.

Nicely done, FB!

What is that capo? Another purchase? Kyser?

If I clamped a Kyser in the middle of the fret like you have on my LG3, it would sound like I was tuned to Z. Did you tune up after you put the clamp on, or is it kind to you?

I have many exciting little stories to tell after a very dangerous visit to a guitar shop, but one little find was a Shubb for 12 Strings! That goes exactly over the fret wire or the 12 string sounds like it is tuned to W.

Go and get a Shubb to tell me what you think!

Also miss Del and crew!

BluesKing777.

Thanks BK! Yea it's just an old Kyser.I had the nice G7 you recommended on the J-45. The Kyser was already on the LG-2 so I went with the flow.And yea I have to retune as It always goes sharp and needs some gentle positioning to avoid buzzes.

I've found a new guitar shop (for me) to visit too...Haworth's. A very nice one hour drive down the south coast.Ever gone over the Seacliff bridge? Check it out if you haven't.

And I'm up for another good capo...shubb will be one to look for.

Thanks BK! Yea it's just an old Kyser.I had the nice G7 you recommended on the J-45. The Kyser was already on the LG-2 so I went with the flow.And yea I have to retune as It always goes sharp and needs some gentle positioning to avoid buzzes.

I've found a new guitar shop (for me) to visit too...Haworth's. A very nice one hour drive down the south coast.Ever gone over the Seacliff bridge? Check it out if you haven't.

And I'm up for another good capo...shubb will be one to look for.

I have been to the South Coast a real lot and the North Coast too, but the last time I went to the 'Gong' would probably be in Dad's old EH when it was new, and even then it boiled going up Bulli Pass - the sole reason for the Seacliffe Bridge, I believe! Correct me if I'm wrong.

Seems about the same time it takes me to get to a decent shop - don't you have Jungle Music in Redfern? (a friend saw it when going to the airport and mentioned the anti theft measures.

Stubbs, Shubbs, Shubbs! My local shops never had them until recently, but NOW, get a couple of each when you find some, FB - save going back.

BluesKing777.

Haha...The infamous Bulli Pass! My mate's older brother had an XU1? Torana..he was a bit of a hoon. I remember a very scary trip down the Bulli Pass in fog with him one Sunday arvo...

One of my old man's sayings was " that bloke needs a kick up the Bulli Pass [biggrin]

Yes, a friend took me for a nail biter spin in his XU1 when I was a kid - for the ones that don't know WTF we are talking about, it is a very small local car from the late 60s/ 70s that came in a few versions: the granny version, the dad version and the XU1 version which had a rocket ship motor. I think the only time I have been faster is with this rotten bass player in his hot Mercury where my fingernails are embedded in the dash forever, but that is another story....

BluesKing777.

I have been to the South Coast a real lot and the North Coast too, but the last time I went to the 'Gong' would probably be in Dad's old EH when it was new, and even then it boiled going up Bulli Pass - the sole reason for the Seacliffe Bridge, I believe! Correct me if I'm wrong.

Seems about the same time it takes me to get to a decent shop - don't you have Jungle Music in Redfern? (a friend saw it when going to the airport and mentioned the anti theft measures.

Stubbs, Shubbs, Shubbs! My local shops never had them until recently, but NOW, get a couple of each when you find some, FB - save going back.

BluesKing777.

Sorry to HJ the thread, but before you drive 1 hour South and 1 hour back, I thought I better mention that 2 of my 4 different Shubbs' knurled adjuster actually hurt the skin of my left thumb when tightening....see, always a catch, hence get a few!

BluesKing777.

never experienced that BK.

you talking about a design fault on two of them ??

The design is sensational, so I guess it would come under 'production problem'.

No big deal, just a bit annoying fir the little thumb flesh the 'knurling' is a bit sharp. And after all these years playing out of tune with various weirdo capos, I would keep using it if I was bleeding! My 12 string Gibson capoed and in tune at the 5th fret. Who would have ever thought?

BluesKing777.

Thanks Kelly.

Cheers EA...great photos you posted of the duo in that "performing pics" thread. Always enjoy seeing those guitars of yours up close.

Regards the Shubbs...I'll be careful. Our local Accident and Emergency has very little experience of capo related injuries.

Archived