Gibson Brands Forums

Help, I'm dating an ET-285!

blenin

• 1 month later...

Yep, couldn't find the info.

If I remember correctly from the ET-290 guitar that I used to have (now owned by my brother), the serial numbers was on a sticker attached to the neck plate. Chances are it was removed or wore off on yours if you can't find it.

If I remember correctly from the ET-290 guitar that I used to have (now owned by my brother), the serial numbers was on a sticker attached to the neck plate. Chances are it was removed or wore off on yours if you can't find it.

I bet that is it. Oh well, was hoping to get a little more info on it. Thank you!

They were made in Japan by Matsuoku between 1972 and 1979 ONLY. They were a Japanese design with the Epiphone name, a pretty good bass, IMO.

I just bought one about a month ago and I really like it. Putting a new set of Fender flats on it. Has a nice PB sound with the neck pup...The pic of yours looks like mine, which I am told is a later version, mAybe 74 and after...different pups on the older ones.

FWIW, I have seen them advertised as "RARE" and saw one listed in a NYC guitar shop for just under $800...a little too much for me. Ipaid $400 for mine. They were around $225 list when new...

Matsumoku made some very good basses. I have two 32" Aria Pro II Cardinal basses ('81 & '83) that are excellent instruments. I replaced the pickups and pots in both of mine, and don't remember if the pots had date codes; if yours has codes, it may help.

Archived