Gibson Brands Forums

Ok, I owe the forum an apology

lucille64

As some of you know I bought an Epiphone Dove Pro for my neighbors son.

I posted that I didn't think it's tone was all that great but ok.

After playing it for a week or more as best I still can and changing the strings to 12.5 - 55.5 guage I have to say that it really is a very sweet sounding and playing guitar.

Now here's where it gets good...............

It is such a nice guitar that I went and bought one for myself.

I removed the Fishman system because I didn't want any electronics in it, put a Bob Colosi bone custom saddle in it

replaced the nut to a bone one, replaced the imported Grover tuners with real Gibson Deluxe nickel plated ones and set it up and I am amazed at how wonderful the tone is and how sweet this Dove plays. It almost plays as good as my Lucille and that's saying something.

The neck is a bit chunkier than my Masterbilt but not uncomfortably. I put a bone end pin strap peg where the jack was

and "BAM" I found a fond affection for it.

So to all the Dove Pro owners out there I stand humbly corrected. :)

After playing it for a week or more as best I still can and changing the strings to 12.5 - 55.5 guage I have to say that it really is a very sweet sounding and playing guitar.

I removed the Fishman system because I didn't want any electronics in it, put a Bob Colosi bone custom saddle in it

replaced the nut to a vintage bone one, replaced the imported Grover tuners with real Gibson Deluxe nickel plated ones and set it up and I am amazed at how wonderful the tone is and how sweet this Dove plays. It almost plays as good as my Lucille and that's saying something.

The neck is a bit chunkier than my Masterbilt but not uncomfortably. I put a bone end pin strap peg where the jack was

Thanks for the clarification. I called Sweetwater to inquire about one a while back and my sales guy immediately tried to steer me away from it and towards a Masterbilt (he didn't realize I owned three already).

Tonally there's a lot of personal preference involved here, and much of it will be based on the type of playing a person does.

I happen to play fingerstyle almost exclusively, with nails & skin brushing the strings. I've owned a few laminated maple back & sides acoustics in the past (combined with a solid top), and have found them to be highly capable of producing the punchy & quick decaying sound I'm after, with each note being heard very clearly.

Many Gibson jumbos from the '60s were fashioned with this exact combination, and they can be highly responsive tone machines.

It's great that you were able to get your Dove dialed in!

Tonally there's a lot of personal preference involved here, and much of it will be based on the type of playing a person does.

I happen to play fingerstyle almost exclusively, with nails & skin brushing the strings. I've owned a few laminated maple back & sides acoustics in the past (combined with a solid top), and have found them to be highly capable of producing the punchy & quick decaying sound I'm after, with each note being heard very clearly.

Many Gibson jumbos from the '60s were fashioned with this exact combination, and they can be highly responsive tone machines.

It's great that you were able to get your Dove dialed in!

Bobouz..... I play with a lot of right hand techniques and so far as I am still very limted in what I can still accomplish, this Dove is a very capable everyday pick it up and play it instrument. Especially for the money.

I was concerned when I bought the first one that it would be a disappointment but remembering what many knowledgeable players here have said good about it, I pulled the trigger.

As I said before I thought it was just an ok guitar but then after spending sometime with it, I began to realize how nice it could be with just a couple of inexpensive upgrades.

So now my sights are set on a IB64 Texan that comes highly recommended.

Even though arthritis has killed most of my ability to play I still love to have all kinds of guitars around me and especially one's I can tinker with. Gives me something to do :)

So now I have a brand new Fishman Sonitone pickup system and if anyone wants one, PM me.

Just about every Epiphone solid top acoustic guitar can be upgraded into a completely stage-ready pro grade instrument (and many already are right outta the box).

Good job, Lucille!

You are so correct and I'm gonna find out if that's true when it comes to the IB64 Texan shortly

The tuners are okay on the Texan. I may upgrade them someday to 18:1 open back tuners with aged plastic buttons, but that would mostly be a vanity upgrade.

You will need to upgrade to a bone nut and saddle unless you are lucky enough to get one with bone already like I did.

Are you going to get the antique natural or the Cherryburst?

replaced the nut to a bone one, replaced the imported Grover tuners with real Gibson Deluxe nickel plated ones and set it up and I am amazed at how wonderful the tone is and how sweet this Dove plays. It almost plays as good as my Lucille and that's saying something.

Good deal glad things worked out for you

The tuners are okay on the Texan. I may upgrade them someday to 18:1 open back tuners with aged plastic buttons, but that would mostly be a vanity upgrade.

You will need to upgrade to a bone nut and saddle unless you are lucky enough to get one with bone already like I did.

Are you going to get the antique natural or the Cherryburst?

JW , you know I just can't make up my mind on the finish issue.

I wish they made it in a Vintage sunburst or a honeyburst.

I am leaning towards the natural at the moment.

I will probably put Waverly open back tuners on the IB64 and of course a Colosi nut and saddle if need be. Then just use it like that.

The original Texan I bought for my grandson was just an awesome instrument and I admit, for a second there, I almost didn't let that make it to his hands. ;)

I can always play it when I am visting him though.

Since you believe in the IB64 and recommend it so highly, that is what's in my focus now.

Lucille,

The original Texan was available in vintage sunburst in some of the years and they were super cool. The Cherryburst and antique natural are the norm for the IB64 simply because the natural and Cherryburst were the norm back then. I got the antique natural because that's the one they had in store when I went in to buy a guitar this past summer. Dunno what choice I woulda made if they'da had both.

way to go kiddo happy playing.

I picked up a straight acoustic Dove when they were clearing out the last remaining inventory. I have to say, I didn't need anymore guitars when I bought it. I took me a while to bond with it, but when I did, I gave it a permanent home. I replaced the bridge pins and removed the plastic shim under the saddle... and viola!. Based on the results of putting Ernie Ball aluminum bronze strings on my EJ200, that's the next change I'm making on the Dove. It just might put it in permanent favorite status.

• 4 weeks later...

Just like to thank Lucille for sending me his fishman pickup - immense act of kindness and he wouldn't,even accept the postal costs - there are some wonderful people on this forum! Installed it on a Terada j200 copy and looking forward to trying it out soon at an open mic or similar - top fella Lucille!

Archived