Gibson Brands Forums

SG Standard 2014 and imperfect string alignment?

LIB3z

I don't think there is actually a "problem" with this guitar, (although I can't judge from the pics).

It is very common for a guitar to have the strings NOT centered on the fretbaord. It's actually more proper. Most players have a tendancy to not like the strings close to the edge on the treble side, because they can slip off the edge doing vibrato or bends and such. It's not an issue for most on the bass side.

Neck width, string spacing, it all comes down to taste, and a little give and take here and there. It's a judgement call.

The more effort is taken by the guitar maker, or a luthier doing a set-up (it CAN be changed), the more often they end up off-center as it seems to work better for most.

It's only a "problem" if the guitar doesn't play well for you.

I don't think there is actually a "problem" with this guitar, (although I can't judge from the pics).

It is very common for a guitar to have the strings NOT centered on the fretbaord. It's actually more proper. Most players have a tendancy to not like the strings close to the edge on the treble side, because they can slip off the edge doing vibrato or bends and such. It's not an issue for most on the bass side.

Neck width, string spacing, it all comes down to taste, and a little give and take here and there. It's a judgement call.

The more effort is taken by the guitar maker, or a luthier doing a set-up (it CAN be changed), the more often they end up off-center as it seems to work better for most.

It's only a "problem" if the guitar doesn't play well for you.

What Stein says; I pull on strings, a low E close to the edge is not a problem and i prefer that as well.

Thank you for your opinion. "stein" and "cjsinla" - I understand it may be a matter of personal preference but this guitar is not Custom Shop order and I did not want Gibson to make it with strings aligned to the bass side. Strings placement should be simmetrical. What is interesting this guitar came with Quality Checklist with all items marked as passed and on the first page it reads "Gibson USA - We sweat the details."

"ALFA ROMEO CORSE" and "Mr. Gibson" - I have sent this guitar back to the shop.

That's pretty bad alignment, I would definitely return that guitar. Quite a few years back I got an epi LP standard and the pickup pole pieces were completely misaligned, I took it back as soon as I noticed. Now that's something I try to look at when buying guitars - even more expensive ones sometimes have these problems apparently... I've never seen or owned a Gibson with that issue but I suppose it happens. So now I guess the lesson is to carefully inspect as if you were the final inspector before you buy.

Well, if you love everything else, about your SG, just have the Nut, and bridge

saddles changed/re-cut. Don't really need to send the guitar back, to Gibson, IMHO.

Any competent Luthier, or repair person can do what needs to be done, in pretty

short order.

I had an issue, on a brand new SG with the Maestro. Gibson gave me the option, of

sending it back, for either a replacement SG, or just a new Maestro unit, to be

sent to me, directly, or to my dealer. I chose to have my dealer install the new

Maestro, because I LOVED everything else, about my SG (Color, Grain pattern, bevels

and hortapering, neck, TONE, etc.) and didn't want a different SG. But, that's just

Me! [biggrin]

Cheers,

CB

Well, if you love everything else, about your SG, just have the Nut, and bridge

saddles changed/re-cut. Cheers,

CB

I likes this.

That pretty much goes for ANY Gibby, new or old, whatever your personal taste. Put the strings where YOU want them wherever that may be.

• 5 years later...

In my experience, Gibson has a problem with string alignment. I ordered a 2018 SG and had to send it back because the high E kept slipping off the rail when I played in the low positions. The dealer sent another one, which I kept, but there was still the alignment issue, but not as bad. I solved it by using a heavier gauge string. At these prices I should be able to play nines or tens, but I can’t. It ain’t my left hand, because I never had this problem with Fender and my Les Paul doesn’t do this.  I think what’s happening is — because their necks are set, there is a certain amount of variation in alignment from one axe to another. For economic reasons, they have to pass some guitars that they shouldn’t. The upshot is DO NOT buy a Gibson that you have not played. 

Gibson DOES have a problem with string alignment on lots of USA guitars.  If you look at a bunch of new Gibsons side by side, you'll see at least half of them have a problem.  It's kind of the main thing you consistently see problems with on new Gibsons.  You'll see bridges off center - not lining up with the stop bar and the neck.  I, for the life of me, can't understand how they can build these things so inconsistently.  Don't they have a straight-edge, lol?  Or are all the good chiselers in the C-suite?  See what I did there?  😁

Yes. I see a lot of SGs with string alignment off center. I bought two, both misaligned, and sent back the worse one. So I looked at dozens of photos online and noticed two things. 1) when an SG is photographed straight on, so you can see the alignment, some will be clearly misaligned. 2) there are many SGs for sale where they will show you several photos from various angles but not from straight on.  Don’t buy an SG that you have not played. 

• 8 months later...
On 2/19/2020 at 5:05 PM, Steve Taylor said:

Yes. I see a lot of SGs with string alignment off center. I bought two, both misaligned, and sent back the worse one. So I looked at dozens of photos online and noticed two things. 1) when an SG is photographed straight on, so you can see the alignment, some will be clearly misaligned. 2) there are many SGs for sale where they will show you several photos from various angles but not from straight on.  Don’t buy an SG that you have not played. 

I have an 82'SG and it has the same problem and I've noticed it only much later after I bought since it's only maybe 1 mm off. It's really mind boggling that a top brand can't get it right.