Gibson Brands Forums

To sand or not to sand?

Hey guys, I have an sg standard that I got about 15 years ago. along the way it had acquired a few chips out of the paint and a local repair guy at the time had filled them in and painted them but the color(black) never matched and it's bugged me since (almost 10 years now). I've been thinking lately of sanding it all down to the mohagony and just sanding it real smooth and leaving it satin natural. Keeping in mind I don't care about resale value cause I will always keep it but I want it to look different and I know if it does i'll play it way more again.

thoughts?

I'm gonna go against the crowd here.

If you don't have experience with this sort of thing, you likely don't know what you are getting into.

I think if you don't like it now, you will like it less after you do what you are thinking. If a few chips and flaws bother you, how are you going to feel about the flaws in your work?

Don't take this wrong, but I'm guessing if you can't "fix" black, you problably aren't up to the task of doing a re-fin you are gonna be happy with.

Oh, one other thing: taking down the finish to bare wood is NOT an easy thing to do, on ANY piece of wood or furniture. That's from a carpenter/remodeler. And especially true on a guitar you care about, or want to preserve the "lines", so to speak.

Thanks everyone. Stein I totally get what you're saying and everything you said for the most part i've already thought about and that's why i'm hesitant but I kind of feel like I would like it better sanded down (even if not perfect)to mahogany, I do know it takes a lot to get through those finishes and worry that it's a bigger project than I anticipate. We'll see what happens, I have other people's stuff to work on first. I'll post progress if I go through with it.

and yes L8_4thesh0w that is my workshop, well half of it..

Thanks everyone.

Darkside Mike, I saw some magnificent wood that was treated in a way similar to what you plan to do. It was a stock on a rifle. The builder sanded by graduating the grit until he got to some fine paper. After that, he used 0000 steel wool. After much more polishing he went to 00000 steel wool. He wiped the wood with alcohol (the other kind) after so many strokes. I think he also used the alcohol rub while sanding with paper. When completed, the pores of the wood were invisible. It felt smooth. It would be an ideal way to treat a neck. Jedediah

Archived